Borders Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Borders Interview Questions

2.2

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Borders.

Interview

The most challenging part of the hiring process was always the length of time it took from initial job posting to the position getting filled. Often times, candidates never heard a position was filled and they did not get the job. I just feel that's disrespectful to the candidates.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was fairly standard - it was a cookie cutter interview process straight from the HR book.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was really no ability to negotiate as an internal candidate. External candidates consistently earned a higher entry level amount than candidates promoted internally with the same experience.

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

I was promoted within from cafe manager but was required to interview with the District Manager. Even though it was internal, I still dressed in "business casual". Questions were basic retail management questions and many "tell me about a time you..." Most of the questions she asked were on the company's internal site, so I was able to prepare beforehand.

Interview Questions

• What negative things do you think people say about you behind your back?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders.

Interview

Short 5 minute interview...got the job

Interview Questions

• They were all fairly easy, I think I had the job before I walked in   Answer Question

President Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Borders.

Interview

the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question

Cafe Clerk Interview

Interview

This company is out of business now so I hardly think this info is relevant to anyone anymore. But the process was pretty average with a test of knowledge about music and books, even though the position I interviewed for was the café.

Cafe Seller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in October 2008.

Interview

After completing an online application I was called in for a formal interview. The store manager explained what my job description would be and since he had already checked my qualifications. He said he would talk to the other managers and then offered the job. the interview process was professional, to the point and efficient. It did require a not too terribly thorough background check and a drug test at a local clinic. The people at this store represent a lot of diversity and is a fun place to work if you can let yourself not be too bothered by the overt corporate culture. Provide great customer service, have fun meeting new people and make it a fun job. Being around books and people does a little bit to make up for the really low pay. It is pretty easy to get a part time job here, full time positions are harder to come by. The company like every other company these days needs to get as much out of their employees as they can.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

During the interview there was no talk of compensation, but I already knew the parameters going into this deal. I was offered a bit higher than I expected...good news.

Barista Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in July 2008.

Interview

It is easiest to become a regular customer first and then apply for the job. I befriended an employee and got her to recommend me for the job. My interview was just a formality as I already had barista experience and a recommendation from an employee in good standing. I had one ten minute interview and started work two days later. The process was simple and quick.

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in May 2008.

Interview

Brief. I was being sought for 2 different locations. I just needed to choose.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in February 2008.

Interview

The interview was relaxed and simple. Once you get past the initial personality test, the interview becomes geared to your communication skills and friendliness. There may be only 5-10 other candidates at this point and their choice will most likely depend on the personality of the interviewer. This means you should gear your responses towards the individual who is interviewing. The questions are basic for retail positions. Have you had experience in retail? How would you deal with a tough customer? Why do you want to work here? Do you feel comfortable selling particular products? Bonus points are given for applicants who demonstrate knowledge of literature, particularly if it is a broad knowledge. They just want to see if you like books and if you can make suggestions to customers for bigger sales.

Interview Questions

• What book is on your nightstand right now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much negotiation. The pay is low so you can't expect much. Depending on your experience or how well they liked you, you may be able to get an extra $0.50, but not much more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Freehold, NJ) in April 2008.

Interview

It was just a five minute basic interview, not very difficult. They aready seemed to have their minds made up, so they weren't interested in anything I said. It didn't even last five minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer