Borders Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 12, 2017

2.2

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Borders (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was a simple interview that lasted 20 minutes. I was offered coffee since it was the barista position. It was a one on one interview with the store manager. Not entirely sure if the general manager would do interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Borders (Harrisburg, PA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was pretty relaxed and friendly. I don't remember too much about it. Again, this was actually like a decade ago but Glassdoor won't let me go that far back. I doubt it was too hard - I got the job! Um, they just asked me some basic questions about why I wanted to work there. The bookseller position appeals to a lot of youths, so the interview can't be too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Borders (Miami, FL) in September 2012.

Interview

It was very thorough interview with both parties involved. I felt very comfortable and I was able to ask questions myself. It was unfortunate that they could not hire me in the end.

Interview Questions

• Where do I see myself in five years   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Portland, OR) in January 2011.

Interview

Job fair, 2 interviews, used the basic questions provided by most retailing corporations. They actually encouraged me to apply for manager, I came in applying for a supervisor's position. Nice and personable, obviously loved what they were doing and were looking for someone who also loved books.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever broken the rules? Tell me about it.   1 Answer

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Nashville, TN) in September 2011.

Interview

It was an easy interview. They had me come in and discussed the job and showed me around the place. I had a recommendation from a friend, which ultimately got me the job. Unfortunately the job was a bad experience. I was very happy to learn that the company went under.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in a coffee shop?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Germantown, MD) in September 2011.

Interview

I was in a group interview for my first interview. Along with all of the other candidates we discussed books and interests. Second interview was with two members of management who asked me more dedicated questions about work and ethic.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online and received call back about 2 days later. Met with the store manager and had a casual interview in the dining section of the coffee place. He asked me about 5 standard questions and since I was a student, didn't require background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

• How would you a handle a difficult or rude customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. I got paid the minimum wage blues.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Avondale, AZ).

Interview

This was back in 2008 when applications were still in paper format with some being online, hence I filled out the form after inquiring as to any openings, returned same day; within a week was called to see if I was still interested which I was; two days later an in-person interview on one of their cafe tables surrounded by customers and employees, the questions of why would I want to work for Borders, what are my interests, where do I see myself half a decade hence, how long would I be willing to work for them-short/long term and if I was interested in moving up the corporate ladder. The lady conducting the interview was smiling, relaxed and very friendly-she was happy that I had questions of my own for her.

Interview Questions

• Due to being six years ago, I cannot answer this question.   Answer Question

Cafe Clerk Interview

Interview

This company is out of business now so I hardly think this info is relevant to anyone anymore. But the process was pretty average with a test of knowledge about music and books, even though the position I interviewed for was the café.

President Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Borders.

Interview

the hiring process was a bit awkward. Lots of people who did not know anything aksing questions like they actually knew what they were doing. It is apparent that this company wa going down because they didn't promote based on what you could do but rather on weather or not they liked you. They cause a lot of people to hold positions that they were not qualified for. A lot of people had a lot of power without and of the skills or qualifications. They alos treated the people at store level like dirt. That is where their money was coming from to pay their salaries.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was if I would like to relocate. I didn't like the area but accepted anyway. its hard to find people who will move to this part of the country.   Answer Question