Borders Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 2, 2016

2.3

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Nashville, TN) in September 2011.

Interview

It was an easy interview. They had me come in and discussed the job and showed me around the place. I had a recommendation from a friend, which ultimately got me the job. Unfortunately the job was a bad experience. I was very happy to learn that the company went under.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in a coffee shop?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southgate, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Borders (Southgate, MI) in August 2011.

Interview

One interview with manager.

Interview Questions

• What is a time that you were expected to provide excellent customer service in a negative situation?   Answer Question

I Was Actually the Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Houston, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

This was an employee referral and I had heard good things about the individual. I would say having a can do attitude really helped this person. We were looking for someone self motivated, positive, and quick learner. The best question I ever got from an HR person in my first interview with the company was: "What motivates you?" I have used that question throughout my career with Borders/Waldenbooks and the answers are very tellingabout the the candidate.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you?   1 Answer
    • What was the most difficult customer service experience you ever had and how did you handle the situation?   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Application

The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Borders in January 2011.

Interview

This was only a phone discussion that was shut down very quickly as the company decided to declare bankruptcy.

Interview Questions

• How will you save your stores from the closing store lists?   Answer Question
    • How do you create profit in stores severely understaffed?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Portland, OR) in January 2011.

Interview

Job fair, 2 interviews, used the basic questions provided by most retailing corporations. They actually encouraged me to apply for manager, I came in applying for a supervisor's position. Nice and personable, obviously loved what they were doing and were looking for someone who also loved books.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever broken the rules? Tell me about it.   1 Answer

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online and received call back about 2 days later. Met with the store manager and had a casual interview in the dining section of the coffee place. He asked me about 5 standard questions and since I was a student, didn't require background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

• How would you a handle a difficult or rude customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. I got paid the minimum wage blues.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Cleveland, OH) in September 2010.

Interview

Position listed as Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier. I applied online and received a call within 4 days for a 1:1 interview. The interview was very short, less than 20 minutes start to finish. Interviewer confirmed work history as listed on my application.

Interview Questions

• "Have you ever had a job with performance standards and if so, please describe"   Answer Question
    • "Have you ever received negative feedback from a supervisor, if so what was it and how did you handle it"   Answer Question
    • "What do you think is the most important skill for this position"   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none. The online process asks you to choose the range of compensation you will accept. I was offered the lower amount of the range I chose. As it is seasonal and I had no experience in this field I accepted it.

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in August 2010.

Interview

It went pretty well. Management seemed nice and emphasized sales goals and customer service.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Borders (Pleasanton, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

There was one group interview, after which I was offered a position. Customer service experience was a key factor.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer
    • What steps would you take to control shrink?   1 Answer

Cafe Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coeur d'Alene, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (Coeur d'Alene, ID) in July 2010.

Interview

I received a call from the GM of the store. He asked if I was available for an interview the following day. I accepted and was pretty excited.

When I walked in, I was not greeted by anyone in particular. I walked to the cashier and told him I was looking for the GM. He sent me to the Customer Service desk and said he would radio the GM and announce my arrival. I was about 3 minutes early. So I stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. For 17 minutes. I was wearing my lucky, sky high, interview heels so believe me I counted every minute. When the GM finally arrived he apologized for his tardiness with the excuse of a telephone call. (After being employed with the store I found out that the "tardy-ness" was due to a ritual of having every employee working that day do a 'drive-by' of the potential candidate.)

The GM escorted me ,not to a back room, but paraded me through the customers of the day that were seated in the cafe section. Talk about an audience for my personal information that was spread across the table. We sat and began the interview. The GM then began to ask the general questions. My past employers. My skills and abilities. "Give me an example of a time when..." It was normal. But what was not normal was that about every other minute the GM would hold a hand up to me, in a stop talking manner, to listen and direct the constant chatter pouring out of the handheld radio connected to the GMs ear. It caused me to lose my train of thought almost every time. Plus it was super aggravating. We concluded the interview with a handshake and the promise of a phone call.

The next day I received said phone call and was asked to return to meet with the GMs second in command. I arrived and went straight to the Customer Service desk where I was instructed to wait again. I had learned and wore flat shoes. Turns out there was no need for the change in footwear because I was greeted promptly by the Second-in-Command. The Second directed me to the same table as before and dove right into conversation by educating me on the open position. Basics like Compensation, Hours, Duties and Responsibilities. Thankfully the Seconds radio remained in the off position for the duration of the interview. The Second was clear and concise. Afterwards The GM approached and had a hushed conversation with the Second. Then they offered me the position with smiles. I accepted.

One of the most Idiotic things I have ever done.

Interview Questions

• What was the latest book I have read!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not even almost. There was the position open and it was made clear to me that other people would take the offer immediately. I needed the work so I just took it. My advice would be to actually read the fine print.