Borders Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 12, 2017

2.2

Cafe Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coeur d'Alene, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (Coeur d'Alene, ID) in July 2010.

Interview

I received a call from the GM of the store. He asked if I was available for an interview the following day. I accepted and was pretty excited.

When I walked in, I was not greeted by anyone in particular. I walked to the cashier and told him I was looking for the GM. He sent me to the Customer Service desk and said he would radio the GM and announce my arrival. I was about 3 minutes early. So I stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. and stood at the desk. For 17 minutes. I was wearing my lucky, sky high, interview heels so believe me I counted every minute. When the GM finally arrived he apologized for his tardiness with the excuse of a telephone call. (After being employed with the store I found out that the "tardy-ness" was due to a ritual of having every employee working that day do a 'drive-by' of the potential candidate.)

The GM escorted me ,not to a back room, but paraded me through the customers of the day that were seated in the cafe section. Talk about an audience for my personal information that was spread across the table. We sat and began the interview. The GM then began to ask the general questions. My past employers. My skills and abilities. "Give me an example of a time when..." It was normal. But what was not normal was that about every other minute the GM would hold a hand up to me, in a stop talking manner, to listen and direct the constant chatter pouring out of the handheld radio connected to the GMs ear. It caused me to lose my train of thought almost every time. Plus it was super aggravating. We concluded the interview with a handshake and the promise of a phone call.

The next day I received said phone call and was asked to return to meet with the GMs second in command. I arrived and went straight to the Customer Service desk where I was instructed to wait again. I had learned and wore flat shoes. Turns out there was no need for the change in footwear because I was greeted promptly by the Second-in-Command. The Second directed me to the same table as before and dove right into conversation by educating me on the open position. Basics like Compensation, Hours, Duties and Responsibilities. Thankfully the Seconds radio remained in the off position for the duration of the interview. The Second was clear and concise. Afterwards The GM approached and had a hushed conversation with the Second. Then they offered me the position with smiles. I accepted.

One of the most Idiotic things I have ever done.

Interview Questions

• What was the latest book I have read!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not even almost. There was the position open and it was made clear to me that other people would take the offer immediately. I needed the work so I just took it. My advice would be to actually read the fine print.

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

I met with the hiring manager and the store manager. Very normal questions. After the fact, they checked my references. The hiring manager was straightforward, and she knew the stress questions. Expect that the store manager is vague, unclear, and wordy in comparison to his hiring manager.

Interview Questions

I needed full-time, not part-time work; they needed an answer to whether I would work for them in less than 24 hours.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Tucson, AZ) in May 2010.

Interview

Called to come in for a group interview with the store manager and cafe manager. Ask typical interview questions (name positive, negative about yourself etc.). They were looking someone to fill in for typical retail hours and offered after only one interview. Positive process overall.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Torrance, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I was called by the manager and we scheduled a date form y interview. I arrived right on time but had to wait twenty minutes for my interviewer to show up. Then when we finally had the interview he had me sign papers. But then the whole thing went down the drain when I told him my age: 16 1/2. He told me they had a 18 and older policy. But what I don't understand is, my age and birthday, mind you, was everywhere on my application. Why did he waste my time and his?

Interview Questions

• What would you bring to our organization?   1 Answer

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Boston, MA) in March 2010.

Interview

This was a job fair for a new store, so we went in, and the General Manager was sitting at a desk where he was interviewing all day.

Interview Questions

• What things do you not want to do in your job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Borders (Washington, DC) in February 2010.

Interview

My interview process was very general. The recruiter was very forward with me and asked me what types of skill and qualities they were looking for in potential candidates. I got the feeling that the work culture at Border was very friendly and feel like a family. I had one interview with the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you dealt with a hard assignment. How did you handle the assignment?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

I submitted an online application and customer service exam. I received a telephone call the next day from the training supervisor asking me to come in for an interview. Had a great interview with him and shortly after (within a few minutes) had a similar interview with an Ops Manager. Received an offer the next day.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Canton, OH) in December 2009.

Interview

At first I thought that Borders would be a great place to work. The people seemed friendly, they seemed knowledgeable, and it seemed like the ideal place for someone that loved books as much as I do. I applied online, was called almost immediately for the the interview, and drove to the store to meet with the hiring manager. She and I seemed to have a good conversation, she assured me that I would be hearing from her soon about a decision the company made either way, and she expressed how glad she was to have met me. After a few weeks of not hearing from anyone, I began calling and getting the run around as to whom I could speak to about the position. Finally I was told that the woman that interviewed me no longer worked there, all the positions had been filled, and there was nothing anyone could do to help me. I could not believe they handled business in such an inappropriate and unorganized fashion.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation you have had with a customer and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Novi, MI) in November 2009.

Interview

I looked online on Borders.com for employment at this specific store in Novi and got a call the next day to come in for an interview. Came into the store for a 1 on 1 interview..we conducted the interview in the mall on the couches. It went well, with questions on what books am I into, and how comfortable I am in selling books that I may not be familiar with.

Interview Questions

• How you wold you assist a customer in a book genre that you are not into?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Raleigh, NC) in November 2009.

Interview

I was called within a week to interview. Interview was geared towards customer service. Sample questions..name a time you've made a mistake, what did you do to make things right?....Have you ever had to be persuasive? What was the approach/outcome?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating on my part. This was a part-time job to supplement another job