Borders Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Borders Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Atlanta, GA) in October 2009.

Interview

I had applied online several weeks prior to being called. I received a phone call from the assistant manager who did a brief phone interview and scheduled an in-store interview. That interview went on for more than an hour. I was then scheduled for a 2nd interview with the actual manager, which took place the following week. This also went on for over an hour. Ridiculously redundant, everything could have been wrapped up in one interview. If only the real manager has the final say, then that person should be conducting all interviews instead of wasting candidates' time and the company's time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had something very challenging to handle, and how did you deal with it?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

What negotiation? The position pays $8.00 an hour, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Houston, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

I went to a job fair at a local staffing agency and was interviewed by the general manager. She asked me why I wanted to work at Borders, what my work history was like, and what kind of books I liked and to what degree. That was it. I was offered a job that day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate, but I did receive a (small) raise every review period.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Ann Arbor, MI) in July 2009.

Interview

Very brief phone interview consisting of a set question 'script.' No overall job description given to tailor answers to the position. Interviewer was abrupt and not very 'into' the call.

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Canoga Park, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Borders (Canoga Park, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

They ask about sales experience and literature knowledge.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I interviewed at Borders (Rockville, MD) in June 2009.

Interview

Easy interview and relatively quick process as HR contacted 2 weeks after submitting application in store. Manager of the store was courteous and asked the usual questions in reference to interests in books and media and what my favorite topics and areas of expertise were.

Interview Questions

• If you had your choice of being a potato, rock or apple, which would you be?   1 Answer

pay was too low

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Borders (Burlington, VT) in March 2009.

Interview

Easy questions - but manager was sketchy.

Interview Questions

• What department do you want to work in?   1 Answer

Negotiation

they give everyone the same pay - which is very low.

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Vancouver, WA) in November 2008.

Interview

This is overall a fun place to work. During the interview they asked about what books I was currently reading and what CD's I had in my car...then they asked me to "sell" them one of the items as if they were a customer. I interviewed with the general manager and two assistant managers. It was a little intimidating but they just want to make sure that you are comfortable with face to face interaction. Be ready to answer a bunch of scenario questions such as what would you do if....a customer was angry about blah blah blah those sorts of things.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my pay but my advice is to tell them you are interested in working in the cafe, they pay more there than out on the floor.

Anonymous Employee in Mayaguez, PR

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders (Mayaguez, PR) in October 2008.

Interview

Was interviewed by two managers. Asked what success meant to me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Flexible.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Borders in June 2008.

Interview

The online application was strangely elusive, like they were trying to trick you, so you just had to be as honest as possible and not try top guess what they wanted or you'd slip up. This is a very popular company to work with, so tenacity in getting an interview and follow up are key. They were not hiring at the time of my interview, a minor annoyance, but the experience was enlightening about big corporation cookie-cutter interviews.

Interview Questions

• If a customer complained about the service and/or their purchased product, how would you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Borders (Ann Arbor, MI) in May 2008.

Interview

Easy technical questions, interviewer did not have adequate skills so it was all easy

Negotiation

Negotiate salary and don't think you will not get more