Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I was invited to the first round of interviews about two weeks after submitting my application. BCG provided various web-based material to ensure that we were all sufficiently prepared for the structure and content of their interview. The interview was run very smoothly; I was assigned two consultants to meet with, 45 minutes apiece. About half an hour was devoted to solving the case, and the rest of the time was spent with fit questions. The consultants that I met with were very friendly and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relatively standard; what was a time you showed leadership, etc...   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Two in-person interviews for the Asia office on two separate weekends. They were the usual consulting interview format - two 30-minute interviews comprising personal questions and a case study per interview day.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews about a month apart. First round consisted of two interviewee-led case studies, one with a consultant, the other with a project leader. Second round consisted of one written case study with a parter and one interviewee-led case study with a principal.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Had two one on one case interviews at the local office lasting about 45 minutes each. The interviews were mostly case either followed by or preceding a short behavioral test. The next round was at the office of hiring.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two rounds, which both contained a behavioral and case section. In the first round two people interviewed me and each gave me a case to work through. I nailed the first round and was invited to the second round, which included 3 separate interviews, each with a different and harder case. I did hours and hours of case preparation leading up to the interviews so I felt pretty confident about my performance of the cases, but the behavioral sections were surprisingly difficult. They asked, for example, what I felt my weaknesses had been in my previous leadership positions (in college) and how, in the next five years, I saw myself improving on them. Not a bad question, but also not one that I was expecting. The nice thing about the recruitment process at BCG is they give lots of feedback. So after the first interview, someone from HR called me and told me what notes the interviewers wrote and how I could improve for the second round. I was told I needed to "drive" the cases more, which is very characteristic of BCG. The feedback I got from the second round was that I was too casual during the behavioral portion and didn't show enough initiative in terms of being a team leader. Weird, but okay.

Interview Questions

• One of the cases: A country in the Middle East is worried there are too many cash transactions and not enough credit card transactions. They've hired you to trouble shoot this problem and report back with your findings. What do you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter online through my university. I was contacted for a first round in office interview. The interview was two back to back 45 minute interviews of about 15 minutes behavioral and 30 minutes case with a little time at the end to ask questions. I participated in the interview and heard back three days later that I was not selected for another round.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked in a group and had a problem, worked with people who are older than you, picked things from my resume and asked about them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New Haven, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

This was an on-campus Interview. Two rounds of cases with a small segment at the beginning of each round for behavioral questions. They are very responsive and get back to candidates quickly for final rounds. Unfortunately I did not get past the first round. Overall a good interview process.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2015.

Interview

-applied through school
    -waited about a week to get interview offer
    -trial case interview with a consultant
    -official first round interview at office near school: met with 2 consultants (about 2 hours in total)
    -heard back the next day
    -second/final round interview at first choice office: interviewed with 2 partners (about 2 hours in total)

Interview Questions

• -basic behavioral questions: e.g. why bcg
      -Case interview: 2 cases; pretty standard
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Straightforward interview process for consulting firms; BCG cases are largely interviewee-led. First round interview was 2 30-minute cases with leftover time for behavior/fit. Final round interview was 2 45-minute cases with a case and behavior fit. After my final round interview, a friend who also had an interview on the same day with the same interviewers heard back within a few days, but I didn't hear back for several weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

BCG came to campus, about 1-2 weeks after the application was due, I received email invitation to their DC office for first round interview. 2 45-mins case interviews, the first 5-10mins behavioral, then 20~mins on the case. After the case there were 5-10 mins to ask questions. I interviewed in the morning, they had water and some chocolates for candidates. The interview was scheduled on Thursday so many of us had to miss classes. They put me in a hotel about 20mins away from the office the night before. It took them one day to get back to me about me not getting into the second round.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest accomplishment
      What would you do differently next time when you work with a group after you learned from past group work experiences
      What was a time you were stressed and how did you deal with it
      Why BCG
      Why consulting
      When you work with a group what's your role in the team
      What kind of teammates would you pick if you're a project leader
      Answer Question