Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 3, 2017

3.8

125 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

First round interview is two back-to-back 45-minute interviews. Behavioral and case with a focus on case. I got two pharma cases that were more quantitative and chart-heavy. One case was more difficult than the other. The interviewers were very friendly and patient, though- not intimidating at all.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a team and encountered a conflict.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Denver, CO).

Interview

Met with an interviewer on campus to learn more about the company and was asked to apply through their online platform. Invited for an interview in their Denver office and met with two consultants at the firm to go over cases.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you failed and what did you do to fix it?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

It's your basic consulting process, a mix of behavioral and case interview questions. The interviewers were incredibly nice and allowed for a very comfortable discussion throughout. The case interviews took up the most time, and although they watch the clock, it's up to you to be confident in your pacing and be able to move it forward when you have to, but also take a moment to gather your thoughts when you need to.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting? (They will always ask this or "Why BCG")   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through harvard recruiting. Resume drop then interview 1 week after. Interview was two interviews with 15 min of fit and 30 min of case. Overall people were VERY nice. Definitely get to know the recruiters and network LOTS if possible. Went to lots of coffee chats and networking nights.

Interview Questions

• 1) Walk me through resume 2) What's a experience on a team when you weren't on a leadership position 3) What's a project you would want to work on at BCG?
      1) How to improve costs for a grocery undergoing rennovation
      2) How to decide (client is a foundation) whether to invest in a medical company that lowers costs of tests   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone screening after campus recruiting event, then get an invite to their Boston office for two rounds interviews (~45 minutes), 10-15 for fit and the rest for the case. Fit questions are very cookie-cutter (why BCG, why consulting, name a time when...). Cases varied immensely-- one could've been found on any website and solved with a little math, other was extremely difficult and definitely took an ample amount of case prep to solve.

Interviewers were both very nice and helpful. When struggling on the case, neither sat back and watched, but rather supported and walked through the difficult steps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied in October, heard back early January. Did both online evaluation and then Skype interview with office in Casablanca. I knew I was underprepared but tried my best. The interviewer helped me though the case interview, but made it clear I has not passed.

Interview Questions

• Typical case interview questions, but was cut off and made clear I had not made the cut early on   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn so I applied online. Even though they said I'd hear back in September, I heard back in late October. The interview is for a position at their International Office. It was during the weekend, and I interviewed with two different people. Both didn't work at the office I applied for. It consists of two 45min back-to-back interview, with around 10-15min of behavioral type and the rest for case study. They ran through my resume, and asked for details in professional and leadership experience. I don't remember exactly what the questions are. There was one why consulting, why BCG. Then others are questions focusing on what and why you did the things on your resume. What have you done differently compared to previous leaders in that same position (if you have a leadership role on your resume). The cases didn't seem that hard but it was my first time doing a case interview so I panicked and flunked it. They're the first ones to actually email me back from my thank-you emails. And I emailed one of them to ask for interview feedback, and he gave me a call and talked to me on the phone. Even though I didn't get the position, it was a great experience!

Interview Questions

• What have you done differently than the one who held this leadership position before you?   1 Answer
    • Why consulting, why BCG?   1 Answer
    • What was your proudest accomplishment?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I was invited to the first round of interviews about two weeks after submitting my application. BCG provided various web-based material to ensure that we were all sufficiently prepared for the structure and content of their interview. The interview was run very smoothly; I was assigned two consultants to meet with, 45 minutes apiece. About half an hour was devoted to solving the case, and the rest of the time was spent with fit questions. The consultants that I met with were very friendly and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relatively standard; what was a time you showed leadership, etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Two in-person interviews for the Asia office on two separate weekends. They were the usual consulting interview format - two 30-minute interviews comprising personal questions and a case study per interview day.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews about a month apart. First round consisted of two interviewee-led case studies, one with a consultant, the other with a project leader. Second round consisted of one written case study with a parter and one interviewee-led case study with a principal.