Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 23, 2017

3.8

96 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

It's your basic consulting process, a mix of behavioral and case interview questions. The interviewers were incredibly nice and allowed for a very comfortable discussion throughout. The case interviews took up the most time, and although they watch the clock, it's up to you to be confident in your pacing and be able to move it forward when you have to, but also take a moment to gather your thoughts when you need to.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting? (They will always ask this or "Why BCG")   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn so I applied online. Even though they said I'd hear back in September, I heard back in late October. The interview is for a position at their International Office. It was during the weekend, and I interviewed with two different people. Both didn't work at the office I applied for. It consists of two 45min back-to-back interview, with around 10-15min of behavioral type and the rest for case study. They ran through my resume, and asked for details in professional and leadership experience. I don't remember exactly what the questions are. There was one why consulting, why BCG. Then others are questions focusing on what and why you did the things on your resume. What have you done differently compared to previous leaders in that same position (if you have a leadership role on your resume). The cases didn't seem that hard but it was my first time doing a case interview so I panicked and flunked it. They're the first ones to actually email me back from my thank-you emails. And I emailed one of them to ask for interview feedback, and he gave me a call and talked to me on the phone. Even though I didn't get the position, it was a great experience!

Interview Questions

• What have you done differently than the one who held this leadership position before you?   1 Answer
    • Why consulting, why BCG?   1 Answer
    • What was your proudest accomplishment?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I was invited to the first round of interviews about two weeks after submitting my application. BCG provided various web-based material to ensure that we were all sufficiently prepared for the structure and content of their interview. The interview was run very smoothly; I was assigned two consultants to meet with, 45 minutes apiece. About half an hour was devoted to solving the case, and the rest of the time was spent with fit questions. The consultants that I met with were very friendly and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relatively standard; what was a time you showed leadership, etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Two in-person interviews for the Asia office on two separate weekends. They were the usual consulting interview format - two 30-minute interviews comprising personal questions and a case study per interview day.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Had two one on one case interviews at the local office lasting about 45 minutes each. The interviews were mostly case either followed by or preceding a short behavioral test. The next round was at the office of hiring.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two rounds, which both contained a behavioral and case section. In the first round two people interviewed me and each gave me a case to work through. I nailed the first round and was invited to the second round, which included 3 separate interviews, each with a different and harder case. I did hours and hours of case preparation leading up to the interviews so I felt pretty confident about my performance of the cases, but the behavioral sections were surprisingly difficult. They asked, for example, what I felt my weaknesses had been in my previous leadership positions (in college) and how, in the next five years, I saw myself improving on them. Not a bad question, but also not one that I was expecting. The nice thing about the recruitment process at BCG is they give lots of feedback. So after the first interview, someone from HR called me and told me what notes the interviewers wrote and how I could improve for the second round. I was told I needed to "drive" the cases more, which is very characteristic of BCG. The feedback I got from the second round was that I was too casual during the behavioral portion and didn't show enough initiative in terms of being a team leader. Weird, but okay.

Interview Questions

• One of the cases: A country in the Middle East is worried there are too many cash transactions and not enough credit card transactions. They've hired you to trouble shoot this problem and report back with your findings. What do you do?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2015.

Interview

-applied through school
    -waited about a week to get interview offer
    -trial case interview with a consultant
    -official first round interview at office near school: met with 2 consultants (about 2 hours in total)
    -heard back the next day
    -second/final round interview at first choice office: interviewed with 2 partners (about 2 hours in total)

Interview Questions

• -basic behavioral questions: e.g. why bcg
      -Case interview: 2 cases; pretty standard   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter online through my university. I was contacted for a first round in office interview. The interview was two back to back 45 minute interviews of about 15 minutes behavioral and 30 minutes case with a little time at the end to ask questions. I participated in the interview and heard back three days later that I was not selected for another round.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked in a group and had a problem, worked with people who are older than you, picked things from my resume and asked about them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New Haven, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

This was an on-campus Interview. Two rounds of cases with a small segment at the beginning of each round for behavioral questions. They are very responsive and get back to candidates quickly for final rounds. Unfortunately I did not get past the first round. Overall a good interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Straightforward interview process for consulting firms; BCG cases are largely interviewee-led. First round interview was 2 30-minute cases with leftover time for behavior/fit. Final round interview was 2 45-minute cases with a case and behavior fit. After my final round interview, a friend who also had an interview on the same day with the same interviewers heard back within a few days, but I didn't hear back for several weeks.