Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2017

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Düsseldorf (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Düsseldorf (Germany)) in January 2017.

Interview

Vorstellung des Unternehmens in kleiner Runde mit persönlichen Fragen zur Strukturierung (gut welche dafür bereit zu halten, egal wie gut man bereits informiert ist). Anschließend zwei Case-Interviews und ein Online-Case, der gut bspw. mit dem Material für den (inzwischen nicht mehr verwendeten) Test von McK vorbereitet werden kann. Ansonsten ein eher unpersönliches Durchschleusen und während der Interviews mitunter bewusst Stresssituationen aufgebaut.

Interview Questions

• Ein Grund warum & einer warum nicht auf ein Projekt einsetzen.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I was invited to the first round of interviews about two weeks after submitting my application. BCG provided various web-based material to ensure that we were all sufficiently prepared for the structure and content of their interview. The interview was run very smoothly; I was assigned two consultants to meet with, 45 minutes apiece. About half an hour was devoted to solving the case, and the rest of the time was spent with fit questions. The consultants that I met with were very friendly and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relatively standard; what was a time you showed leadership, etc...   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Had two one on one case interviews at the local office lasting about 45 minutes each. The interviews were mostly case either followed by or preceding a short behavioral test. The next round was at the office of hiring.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Madrid (Spain)) in September 2015.

Interview

Three stages:

·Test: Really, really tough. Across the industry, the most difficult test I'd say. I barely completed 17/27 questions, but I managed to pass.

·First Round (Consultant + Project Leader): Fit questions + cases. The fit questions were a bit more difficult than the average within the industry (I've interviewed with all MBB and BB). Really, really analytical cases, lots of numerical questions and exhibits. I passed.

·Second Round (Principal + Partner). Again, really analytical cases. The interviews were much harder, they want to go deeper in everything you answer. More unstructured cases, no framework to follow so you have to be ready for everything. One of the guys even made me pitch the recommendations in front of him. Really hard interview

Interview Questions

• Why were you the top student in your class? What's the reason behind this?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in July 2014.

Interview

The hiring and interview process were very professional.
    However, one of my interviewers had a slightly condescending attitude. He began the case before I had even gotten my materials together and was in a rush to complete the case in less than 30 minutes.

He also gave me my review after the interview - but had done so in the wee hours of the night. At 2am to be exact. Not the best way to handle a review for the interview, especially for a rejection.

The HR recruiter was very pleasant and accommodating. One of the best I have experienced so far.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Good and quick communication throughout, three rounds in total. First round included a maths test but this wasn't nearly as bad as the PST at McKinsey, it was the specific university recruiting test and not the case based one used in other cases.

Interview Questions

• First interviewer was a very friendly partner who asked me how much I wanted the job and asked positive and simple questions about my CV. Case Question: tell me how you think the drop in oil price has affected the world i.e. companies, governments, consumers etc. ...second interviewer picked away at my CV negatively and it was difficult not to feel defensive, he also seemed bored during the case.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Recruited on-campus, had first and second round interviews, both at the BCG office. First round was done by consultants, second was by partner/principal. The partner/principal interview was much less structured than the first round (much less like the case interviews I prepared for), but that was fine. I got the feeling that the partner was really watching me closely as I answered to see if I was being authentic and to see how my performance during the interview would extrapolate to on-the-job performance.

Interview Questions

• Why do you not plan to return to the consulting firm you interned with last summer (where I had a return offer)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Basically no negotiation for salary, since salaries are standardized across the company (you might be able to negotiate your base salary up, but at the end of the year there's a target salary they aim for, so your bonus will be adjusted to take this into account).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Technical questions geared as though the interviewee is in a class romm regurgitating theroy

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)).

Interview

The process had 4 parts:
    1st: CV Selection
    2nd: Analytical Test: 20 GMAT style questions in 20 mins.
    3rd: First round of interviews with 3 consultants.

-->First part was CV and fit questions, they really want to know you know your story. Typical questions at this stage where 'tell me about this on your CV' and 'why consulting and why BCG'.
    -->The second part of the interview was a 30 to 35 min case. The cases are challenging and you have to be very fast with numbers and very organized with the process! I got 3 cases 1 about reevaluating a distribution channel, a loyalty program strategy for a retailer and finally a case about opening a manufacturing facility for a food producer.
    --> Last part you get to chat a bit with the consultants and ask them questions. Be prepared they expect smart questions.
    -->The consultants where very accomplished, smart and friendly people, very open and willing to help you through the cases. Nevertheless you should expect them to be hostile at some point since they also want to test your boiling point.

4th: 2 Interviews with partners.
    -->For the second round The process follows exactly as with the consultants but partner cases where much more difficult. They are more abstract and open ended.
    --> For the partner cases I felt that you really need to excel when you organize your thoughts, be very creative for brainstorming and show that you can be left alone with a client.
    -->The Partners are very smart and have a wide understanding of business (Almost seems like they have seen it all in the business world), they are also very friendly and helpful they wont let you fail in the case, they want you to crack it! i really enjoy their cases. It was clear to me the way they where assessing me.

Interview Questions

• Explain why Asset Management companies that have low and high volume of assets have high margins while the companies with average volumes have low margins.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Brussels (Belgium)) in September 2011.

Interview

The interviews are very much focused on the analytical skills of the individual.
    For experienced hires, there is first a serie of 2 1:1 interviews with a consultant and a project leader.
    During the second appointment, there is a 2 hours paper case to prepare and present to a partner. Then there is another live case with a partner.