Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.8

115 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

The best interview I've ever had! The consultants interviewing me made me feel at ease since the beginning and were very helpful in guiding the case. Both cases were very interesting and I really enjoyed the fit part. The whole process seemed like a friendly conversation with two interesting people

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

BCG came to campus, about 1-2 weeks after the application was due, I received email invitation to their DC office for first round interview. 2 45-mins case interviews, the first 5-10mins behavioral, then 20~mins on the case. After the case there were 5-10 mins to ask questions. I interviewed in the morning, they had water and some chocolates for candidates. The interview was scheduled on Thursday so many of us had to miss classes. They put me in a hotel about 20mins away from the office the night before. It took them one day to get back to me about me not getting into the second round.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest accomplishment
      What would you do differently next time when you work with a group after you learned from past group work experiences
      What was a time you were stressed and how did you deal with it
      Why BCG
      Why consulting
      When you work with a group what's your role in the team
      What kind of teammates would you pick if you're a project leader   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Durham, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied via university recruiting. A week later, I got an email saying that I was selected for an interview. It was a 45 minute back-to-back interview, with some behavioral questions and the rest case interview. First case was somewhat confusing and I ended up wasting too much time digging into the wrong direction. Second case was much easier, but other candidates thought the same so didn't make a difference.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, when was a time that you worked in a team? etc.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter and transcript online (but through my university). I was initially really excited when I went to their info session because the employees seemed very interesting and engaging and laid back. However, the first round of interviews was the complete opposite. I had two separate interviews which were about 45 minutes each: 15 minutes behavioral and a 30 minute case. My first interviewer was extremely rude and condescending. The second was very kind and really seemed interested in my answers and the different way I solved the case. Overall, I could tell I wasn't a good fit.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Campus Recruiting. Standard interview process - two interviews back to back with partners. First ten to fifteen minutes were behavioral and rest of interview was a case. Behavioral section was pretty laid back, with a couple of rote questions regarding a specific experience when I had to work with a team.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Good and quick communication throughout, three rounds in total. First round included a maths test but this wasn't nearly as bad as the PST at McKinsey, it was the specific university recruiting test and not the case based one used in other cases.

Interview Questions

• First interviewer was a very friendly partner who asked me how much I wanted the job and asked positive and simple questions about my CV. Case Question: tell me how you think the drop in oil price has affected the world i.e. companies, governments, consumers etc. ...second interviewer picked away at my CV negatively and it was difficult not to feel defensive, he also seemed bored during the case.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Recruited on-campus, had first and second round interviews, both at the BCG office. First round was done by consultants, second was by partner/principal. The partner/principal interview was much less structured than the first round (much less like the case interviews I prepared for), but that was fine. I got the feeling that the partner was really watching me closely as I answered to see if I was being authentic and to see how my performance during the interview would extrapolate to on-the-job performance.

Interview Questions

• Why do you not plan to return to the consulting firm you interned with last summer (where I had a return offer)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Basically no negotiation for salary, since salaries are standardized across the company (you might be able to negotiate your base salary up, but at the end of the year there's a target salary they aim for, so your bonus will be adjusted to take this into account).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Began with an online application followed by a phone interview with a series of behavioral questions. After that there were two rounds of case interviews. The case interviews were each 45 minutes and started with casual conversation and standard behavioral questions and then there was the case. The cases were never too bad, but make sure you understand how to structure your solution and really talk out what you're thinking and doing so the interviewer can follow you.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to change your stance on an issue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

First round interview: 2 back to back interviews with associates doing business cases. Spent a little time in the conference room mingling and eating the provided burritos.

Wait 7-8 days...call from the recruiter asking me to come back in. He gave me feedback on what to do better and what I did well. Second round interview scheduled for two weeks later.

Second (final) round interview: 3 back to back 45 min interviews with 2 case team leaders and 1 principal. Slightly more time spent on fit, but the case is the focus.

Most important advice given to me: you have to nail ALL THREE cases to get the offer: I only nailed two, ce la vie...

Interview Questions

• Really nothing surprising if you're trying to get into consulting. Very little time spent on fit questions, just your average case studies. Lots of graphs...   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The whole process took about a month. Applied online to a SEA office, was contacted about a week after my application. Interviews were done in a top notch hotel, very organized, very nice people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.