Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

3.8

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2015.

Interview

two rounds of interviews, both in the office. First round was 2 1:1 interviews with consultants. The first 15 minutes is conversational/behavioral- I think they just want to know how you contribute in a work setting and what types of work environments make you successful. Next 30 minutes are cases. 2nd round was same format, but with Partners. First round was challenging, but okay if you've practiced case interviews. Second round was much more challenging- the behavioral component is more high level and there an idea that you need to stand out instead of simply checking boxes. I also got the sense they like to pressure test and ask a lot of follow up questions during the case to challenge you. Be ready to think quickly and respond eloquently. Everyone I interviewed with was unique, engaging, and made me feel as comfortable as possible in an interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you define an effective leader/how to you embody those characteristics   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied through the Boston Career fair. The entire process was more laid back, relative to other management consulting firm interviews. A greater emphasis on engaging with you as a person to check "fit," beyond the traditional case interview. Tough to get an interview. Requires a internet-based test. I got mine through a walk-in resume drop at the career fair. Two rounds at the fair followed by a 3-day internship, followed by 2-3 partner interviews.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the revenue the recruiting company makes from hosting this career fair.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, then in-person interview with two Associates (2 1:1 sessions). Keep very careful and clean notes/diagrams/trees during the interview. They collect these at the end and no doubt are part of the evaluation process. If your notes are disorganized, then so, by extension, are you.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was relaxed but methodical. Standard fair of personality/fit evaluations followed by cases. The interviewers were very personable and drove conversation fairly naturally. The overall process lasted about 2 hours with a short break in between.

Interview Questions

• Cases often included concrete data in the forms of tables or charts. Cases were not particularly difficult. The questions on fit seemed genuine and focused a lot on teamwork.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Stanford, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process lasted around a month.
    BCG showed up to campus during recruiting season and gave all the relevant information on the process.
    After submitting application online, had first round interviews on campus
    2 case-based interviews
    (time allocation 50% case, 50% fit and general questions)

Second round was at the office I wanted to work in.
    3 case-based interviews (1 of which was brain teasers/ market sizing)
    1 fit interview with head of recruiting
    1 online case with multiple choices answers and limited time on

Interview Questions

• Why BCG?
      Why this Office rather than another?
      Any questions for us?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Two 45 minute interviews with a fit component (about 10 minutes) and a case component (30-35 minutes). Fit component was a dialogue about your background, leadership experiences and the typical "why consulting" and "why BCG" questions. Cases were fairly straight forward and predominantly candidate led with times when the interviewer would probe your logic and reasoning.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed and what you did in response.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I interview Boston Dubai office. The whole recruiting process is exciting and very organized. There were two interviewers. One of them is the directing manager. Another one is the consultant. But I didn't get any feedback after the interview, which Bain and Mckinzey did very well on the providing the feedback.

Interview Questions

• Three reasons why a financial service company did not enter Egypt?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee as an experienced hire with 1.5 years experience in a 2nd tier consulting firm, which means lateral move is possible, although I will join as a first-year associate. Since I was off cycle the entire process took almost two months.

I received a request for a quick phone screening with recruiter and a Project Leader about two weeks after my referral was submitted. Recruiters reached out immediately after and first round interview was scheduled for the week after. Fairly typical consulting interviews - 10 mins behavioral, 30 mins case and questions in the end. I received a phone call on the following Friday to come back for second round.

Second round interview was scheduled for four weeks after my first round, which was longer than typical. However, people in my interviewing office were extremely nice and helpful - two project leaders reached out to help with mock interviews. Three interviews with more senior people. Cases were more difficult than first round, but they were very supportive throughout the process. Received a phone call to extend an offer later that evening. I decided to accept the following week.

Overall, it's a very constructive and professional process. The hardest part is really just getting your foot in the door!

Interview Questions

• What is your teamwork style?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with two consultants, both were mostly cases with a short time for fit questions. The interviewers were friendly and professional. During the time in between interviews I and other candidates were able to chat with other consultants and recruiters about BCG in a more informal way.

Interview Questions

• Asked to elaborate on items on resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process at BCG is very much based on being able to solve a case scenario. I went through an off-cycle process, and had 4 interviews (2 first round, 2 final), and all of these had a case scenario. One of the final round interviews was a written interview that utilized similar skill set as an oral case. There were also fairly detailed / situational fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to compromise quality of work product.   2 Answers