Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 10, 2017

3.9

240 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Participated in a first round. Two interviews conducted by mid-senior level employees with short behavior portion and case component. Interviewers were very laid back but you could tell they were looking to check certain boxes.

Interview Questions

• What are three keys to succeeding at BCG and how do you show them?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 rounds each with 2 interviews. Each of the interviews had a small behavioral portion and a case interview. Both of the rounds were in person, and the second round was with more senior people than the first round.

Interview Questions

• Just standard behavioral (talk about resume mainly) and then a case interview. The first round cases were pretty typical, but in the second round they were slightly less traditional in format with traditional content.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

BCG doesn't recruit at my school, so I had a current employee push my resume through. I got a phone call from HR to set up an interview. I then did a case interview in person. There were two cases, with two different interviewers back to back. Each case was about 30 mins with 15 mins of behavioral questions. The interview itself isn't difficult, but preparing for cases was very time-consuming. Both my interviewers, although friendly, made it seem as if I was wasting their time. This could be because I was applying to work at a different location than where I interviewed, or they looked at my school and noticed it wasn't as prestigious and other applicants.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why you're here today.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Submitted resume and applied through campus. Was contacted within 2 weeks about setting up first round interview. Had practice interview set up the night before. Everyone was really friendly and process was super organized.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in March 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee as an experienced hire with 1.5 years experience in a 2nd tier consulting firm, which means lateral move is possible, although I will join as a first-year associate. Since I was off cycle the entire process took almost two months.

I received a request for a quick phone screening with recruiter and a Project Leader about two weeks after my referral was submitted. Recruiters reached out immediately after and first round interview was scheduled for the week after. Fairly typical consulting interviews - 10 mins behavioral, 30 mins case and questions in the end. I received a phone call on the following Friday to come back for second round.

Second round interview was scheduled for four weeks after my first round, which was longer than typical. However, people in my interviewing office were extremely nice and helpful - two project leaders reached out to help with mock interviews. Three interviews with more senior people. Cases were more difficult than first round, but they were very supportive throughout the process. Received a phone call to extend an offer later that evening. I decided to accept the following week.

Overall, it's a very constructive and professional process. The hardest part is really just getting your foot in the door!

Interview Questions

• What is your teamwork style?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process at BCG is very much based on being able to solve a case scenario. I went through an off-cycle process, and had 4 interviews (2 first round, 2 final), and all of these had a case scenario. One of the final round interviews was a written interview that utilized similar skill set as an oral case. There were also fairly detailed / situational fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to compromise quality of work product.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was nice to meet genuinely nice interviewers who are Principals or Partners. Standard consulting interview - not the easiest nor the most difficult I've ever had. Case and fit portions for all consulting staff, almost always 2 rounds for normal campus recruiting cycles. First round on campus, second/final round in the office. Probably 2-3 weeks between application and first round, another 2 weeks for final round.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interviewed on campus for initial screening. Final round in office. All interviews involved questions regarding resume and cultural fit followed by a case (requiring both quantitative and qualitative analysis). Entire recruiting process was well-organized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

5 minute behavioral (Resume walk through - key takeaway and lesson learned from each internship, teamwork experience - what conflict arises and how did you solve it, describe a valuable experience during your college time that changes your life, etc.)
    40 minute case (normal strategy - profitability case, and 1 supply chain case (figure out what goes wrong during the process and what could be improved)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Went through the first round of interviewing, which consisted of two 45 minute interviews. Each one started with a brief behavioral portion and then had a case. The interviewers were nice, interesting people and it was a good experience. Prior to interviewing they offered a case workshop and mock interview to prepare.