Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

3.9

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2015.

Interview

two rounds of interviews, both in the office. First round was 2 1:1 interviews with consultants. The first 15 minutes is conversational/behavioral- I think they just want to know how you contribute in a work setting and what types of work environments make you successful. Next 30 minutes are cases. 2nd round was same format, but with Partners. First round was challenging, but okay if you've practiced case interviews. Second round was much more challenging- the behavioral component is more high level and there an idea that you need to stand out instead of simply checking boxes. I also got the sense they like to pressure test and ask a lot of follow up questions during the case to challenge you. Be ready to think quickly and respond eloquently. Everyone I interviewed with was unique, engaging, and made me feel as comfortable as possible in an interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you define an effective leader/how to you embody those characteristics   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Applied and received first round interview invite about one week later. 2 case interviews for first round. Started off with several fit questions. Only took one day to get decisions about final round. Very friendly interviewers and make sure they keep you on the correct path if they feel that you are straying off. Recruiter lead was also very friendly. Overall the vibe from BCG is amazing!

Interview Questions

• Standard fit questions: tell me about yourself, why BCG, working in a team   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

1st round: Campus
    2nd round: Office

my office had a special interview called the written case. It was quite confusing with lots of data given prior to the meeting with the partner. Make sure to spend time to rehearse before getting into the interview with the partner. Fit was as expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

There are 5 rounds of the interview. 1 HR interview, 2 consultant case study, 1 big case presentation interview and 1 onsite interview. There are about 1 week or 10 days gap between each round. The HR and interviewer are nice and considerate. Didn't feel very stressful during the whole process

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a cooperation issue within a team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online as an off-cycle Associate hire (yes, it can happen!) at the end of April and received an email in mid-May notifying me first rounds would be in July. I had a total of two rounds - first rounds and final rounds in the New York City Office.

First rounds - very much a super day with at least 8 fellow interviewees in office. Interviewed with two project managers...both cases were pharma related/outsourcing cases. The first case had little contextual information upfront and the question asked was quite vague. I was asked, verbatim: "Client is a pharma client in [insert specific part of the world]. What should we do with the company?" Once you ask for information, you do get some exhibits to analyze and interpret. Second interview, in contrast, was loaded with background information and the question was a little more specific, something along the lines of: "What country should we outsource to and what criteria should be used in assessing the decision?" Also received some exhibits to interpret/analyze. I was told that I nailed both cases, performed excellently, had good confidence/professionalism, etc. and was passed to final rounds. Interviewed on Friday, received final round invitation on Wednesday.

Note here: they had just hired a new recruiting team and the firm was in the process of moving so the communication with the recruiting team was a bit slow/disorganized..

Final rounds - only saw one or two other interviewees in office. Interviewed with a project manager and a principal. The case with the principal was also pharma/outsourcing related - probably a reflection of the BCG pipeline... The case question was balanced as far as background/question goes: "Where should we outsource and what products should be outsourced?" Exhibits in this case as well. The fit/PEI was about 5 minutes still. In feedback, I was told my structuring of this case was excellent, but the recommendation/summary could have been a little more succinct, and I could have done a better job of summarizing the risks associated with my recommendation. My second interview with the principal I feel is the one that dinged me, especially from a fit perspective. The case question was relatively average in difficult. This time, it was finance related and I was asked to answer VERY specific questions: 1) size the market, 2) identify the problem 3) propose a recommendation. Was given exhibits after relaying my structure. I started off with my framework to identify the problem, which came across as very formulaic - the interview wanted me to size the market first. Word of advice: make sure you answer the questions as they are presented, and if not, indicate you want to start with answering one portion first. I did size the market quite well and structure the analysis correctly, but was told my math was not as fast as they would have liked and that my communication style for the fit/PEI was too narrative/not succinct enough though they reiterated I had very good stories and experiences. As you can probably tell :) In the end though, I personally feel I did not connect as much with the Principal, and that ultimately influenced the decision.

Interviewed on Friday afternoon, did not hear back Friday so predicted it was a ding. Both interviewers in my final rounds were very accommodating and took the the time to walk me through my final round feedback via telephone and repeatedly relayed it was a pleasure meeting me. At the end of the day, I'm guessing there was just a better candidate quantitatively with a better fit out there, but I do think they missed out on a great candidate :

Interview Questions

• Q1: What should we do with this company?
      Q2: What country should we outsource to and what is the criteria needed in the decision?
      Q3: Should we outsource? If so, what products?
      Q4: Size the market, identify the problem, propose a recommendation   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

There are two case-style interviews and each takes around 45 minutes. I was interviewed by two interviewer. The interview is specifically for all international offices, including offices in Asia and Europe. For each office, four groups of people were interviewed and each group has around 4 interviewees. The questions are not exactly like what we prepared before, and they are more practical and open-minded without much mathematics calculation.

Interview Questions

• 1. How should uber enter the Chinese market ? 2. A big company owning several investment banks is thinking about entering into insurance field. Should they enter the new field and how.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Applied through the company's website, received an email setting up an interview in their office in my city. Before the interview began, I was placed in a waiting room with other interviewees and a few associates and consultants. The interview was fairly standard, starting off with a few behavioral questions and then going right into a case, and with time to ask the interviewer questions afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you faced a challenge while working in a team environment.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Two rounds consisting of two one on one interviews each. Each interview was structured the same - about 10 minutes "fit" questions, about 30 minutes for a case, and the remaining few minutes are left to ask the interviewer some questions. Because the interviews are short (45 minutes each) the questioning is fast paced and they do ask several follow up questions to dive into your experiences in depth. Standard interview questions (leadership, team experiences, etc.), but make sure you put a lot of thought into the answers you provide.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you demonstrated leadership and the impact that you had in that role.   Answer Question
    • Describe a challenge you faced and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

The interview process is pretty standard college recruiting; intro CV screening followed by several one on one interviews, followed by a decision communicated relatively quickly. You have to think carefully in advance of which location you want to apply to as it will not be easy to change location once you have specified you want to work in a certain location and the partners there have established an expectation of you joining a particular office.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2015.

Interview

It was an intense process but not intimidating. It was very selective to get to the first round which was held on campus. First round is two 45 minute interviews. They both are 5-10 of behavioral, a 30 minute case, then some time for questions. Mine were on very specific problems I had no prior knowledge on but the interviewers were helpful. Some math involved that required a scratch sheet. A couple graphs or charts in both to analyze. The final round was at the home office. Two people from BCG offered to run cases with me on the phone and one of my first round interviewers gave me feedback in between. Everyone was supportive and wanted me to do well. The final round was the same two 45 minute structure. It was meant to be more conversation. Mine had a lot less math than the first round, just a couple charts to talk about. One was a real BCG case.