Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Three interviews over the course of three hours (all one on one). Typical business scenario analysis, coupled with the typical interview questions (why us, why consulting, etc.). To those with a finance background, or those who have memorized Case in Point, these interviews will not be difficult. For a Biology major such as myself, they were!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

pretty standard - 1st round of a phone screen, then two 45 minute case interview and behavioral questions.

nice work culture - interviewers seemd like they really wanted to get to know you, the consultants seemed friendly.

Interview Questions

• 2 45 minute long interviews - 1st 15 minutes were case interviews

1st case interview basic profit loss analysis case where you had to find the variable versus fixed cost and when the company uped their prices gave reasoning for price sensitve customers to switch to low cost generic brand.   1 Answer
    • 2nd case - needed to find profitability within two different manufacturing plants. needed to find a way to utilize waste product.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2011.

Interview

Two sets of case studies & five-minute personal interview. Time for questions at the end. Cases were straightforward, all required integration of algebraic calculations at some step. Both involved segmentation of markets.

Interview Questions

• Name an instance where you put forth material that was not fully prepared, and defend why.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

3 Interviews

Interview Questions

• Presented Interviewees with graphs that we needed to analyze in a split second.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were amazingly flexible and open--I was incredibly impressed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was invited for the first round interview for the Southeast Asian offices and BCG basically paid for the trip and accommodation. to Philadelphia. The interviews were rather hectic since BCG was trying to finish their first round interviews for the international offices in a week. My interviewers were extremely tired from the daily interviews and jet lag. One of them was even dozing off during the interview!

Interview Questions

• The cases were rather standard. just be confident in what you have to say!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

Very nice some case interviews, use Case In Point

Interview Questions

• Market sizing: how many people would use a drug that prevents baldness?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No typically the same salary

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA).

Interview

Resume drop then on campus interview - 2 cases (one on pharma and the other one I forgot). Call the next day about second rounds in office location. They paid for convenient flight and a SUPER nice hotel and were very accommodating for my schedule. 3 cases for final round (one on energy, one on the auto industry, and one on travel/tourism). I heard back the following Monday (I interviewed on Friday)

Interview Questions

• Client is a pharma company looking to enter the rare disease business and want to grow x percent (can't remember) in 5 years. Will they meet their targets?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in January 2008.

Interview

Case interviews with limited focus on behavioral fit until the very end

Interview Questions

• Typical business case questions (profit maximization, cost minimization, etc.)   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

People:
    BCG has very bright people, and they are not full of themselves. They are not cocky - that said, they are very cerebral (some call it academic). They are down to earth but still have a high sense of: "I really need to work super hard and get this done because so much is riding on it." But that's the nature of the business.

Office:
    DC Office was like a library. Very quiet. The analysts were boxed into a room with glass walls - they seemed like animals caged for the day. It was Friday, so most people were in jeans and a button-down. Still classy. People not too inclined to look up when I passed ... they were far too busy drooling, fixated on their computer screens.

Interview:
    I had two case interviews. Each one was from an industry that was part of my background. For example, let's say that I worked in a managerial role for a grocery store. Then the case would have focused on how to grow revenues at a grocery store. I hear that they ask this kind of case to make sure you didn't exaggerate your resume.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not bad at all. BUT one interviewer (who had an academic background, PhD, no MBA) jumbled a question. He wanted to know what other types of products a manufacturing company could produce. The answer was to add a brand new business line (doing service, not producing a product).

So make sure that you think through: "What is the interviewer REALLY looking for?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

Two rounds - first round included 2 interviews, both had 15 minutes of a fit interview and 30 minutes of a case interview. The cases themselves were straightforward. The interviewers at BCG are very friendly.

I didn't make it to round 2, unfortunately. I was told that I needed to be more creative with the use of frameworks. Didn't seem like a hard interview, but I guess they were expecting more in terms of how I approached the case.

Interview Questions

• Example of a time you had to lead a team with members who all wanted to go in different ways.   Answer Question