Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2017

3.9

233 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2015.

Interview

two rounds of interviews, both in the office. First round was 2 1:1 interviews with consultants. The first 15 minutes is conversational/behavioral- I think they just want to know how you contribute in a work setting and what types of work environments make you successful. Next 30 minutes are cases. 2nd round was same format, but with Partners. First round was challenging, but okay if you've practiced case interviews. Second round was much more challenging- the behavioral component is more high level and there an idea that you need to stand out instead of simply checking boxes. I also got the sense they like to pressure test and ask a lot of follow up questions during the case to challenge you. Be ready to think quickly and respond eloquently. Everyone I interviewed with was unique, engaging, and made me feel as comfortable as possible in an interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you define an effective leader/how to you embody those characteristics   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online as an off-cycle Associate hire (yes, it can happen!) at the end of April and received an email in mid-May notifying me first rounds would be in July. I had a total of two rounds - first rounds and final rounds in the New York City Office.

First rounds - very much a super day with at least 8 fellow interviewees in office. Interviewed with two project managers...both cases were pharma related/outsourcing cases. The first case had little contextual information upfront and the question asked was quite vague. I was asked, verbatim: "Client is a pharma client in [insert specific part of the world]. What should we do with the company?" Once you ask for information, you do get some exhibits to analyze and interpret. Second interview, in contrast, was loaded with background information and the question was a little more specific, something along the lines of: "What country should we outsource to and what criteria should be used in assessing the decision?" Also received some exhibits to interpret/analyze. I was told that I nailed both cases, performed excellently, had good confidence/professionalism, etc. and was passed to final rounds. Interviewed on Friday, received final round invitation on Wednesday.

Note here: they had just hired a new recruiting team and the firm was in the process of moving so the communication with the recruiting team was a bit slow/disorganized..

Final rounds - only saw one or two other interviewees in office. Interviewed with a project manager and a principal. The case with the principal was also pharma/outsourcing related - probably a reflection of the BCG pipeline... The case question was balanced as far as background/question goes: "Where should we outsource and what products should be outsourced?" Exhibits in this case as well. The fit/PEI was about 5 minutes still. In feedback, I was told my structuring of this case was excellent, but the recommendation/summary could have been a little more succinct, and I could have done a better job of summarizing the risks associated with my recommendation. My second interview with the principal I feel is the one that dinged me, especially from a fit perspective. The case question was relatively average in difficult. This time, it was finance related and I was asked to answer VERY specific questions: 1) size the market, 2) identify the problem 3) propose a recommendation. Was given exhibits after relaying my structure. I started off with my framework to identify the problem, which came across as very formulaic - the interview wanted me to size the market first. Word of advice: make sure you answer the questions as they are presented, and if not, indicate you want to start with answering one portion first. I did size the market quite well and structure the analysis correctly, but was told my math was not as fast as they would have liked and that my communication style for the fit/PEI was too narrative/not succinct enough though they reiterated I had very good stories and experiences. As you can probably tell :) In the end though, I personally feel I did not connect as much with the Principal, and that ultimately influenced the decision.

Interviewed on Friday afternoon, did not hear back Friday so predicted it was a ding. Both interviewers in my final rounds were very accommodating and took the the time to walk me through my final round feedback via telephone and repeatedly relayed it was a pleasure meeting me. At the end of the day, I'm guessing there was just a better candidate quantitatively with a better fit out there, but I do think they missed out on a great candidate :

Interview Questions

• Q1: What should we do with this company?
      Q2: What country should we outsource to and what is the criteria needed in the decision?
      Q3: Should we outsource? If so, what products?
      Q4: Size the market, identify the problem, propose a recommendation   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was challenging and very well organized. Throughout the process I was presented multiple opportunities to practice cases with employees. Everyone I spoke to during the process was very thoughtful and seemed to genuinely want me to succeed. During my last interview with a Senior Partner, it was described to me that BCG invests heavily in its people, including prospective employees. After I accepted my offer, I received congratulation e-mails and phone calls from majority of the individuals that I had met during the process. It was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• How would members of your past teams describe you? Give examples of how you demonstrated those characteristics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Two 45 minute interviews with a fit component (about 10 minutes) and a case component (30-35 minutes). Fit component was a dialogue about your background, leadership experiences and the typical "why consulting" and "why BCG" questions. Cases were fairly straight forward and predominantly candidate led with times when the interviewer would probe your logic and reasoning.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed and what you did in response.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 interviews. First one on campus consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with a Project Leader and Principal. Second interivew consisted of 3 45 minute interviews in the office I applied to, 2 of which were with Partners and one with a Principal. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of the typical interview (tell me about yourself, why consulting, why BCG, tell me about a time when... etc.) and a case interview (suppose X company is thinking about expanding into Y market - should they do it?) that was very difficult.

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Stanford, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process lasted around a month.
    BCG showed up to campus during recruiting season and gave all the relevant information on the process.
    After submitting application online, had first round interviews on campus
    2 case-based interviews
    (time allocation 50% case, 50% fit and general questions)

Second round was at the office I wanted to work in.
    3 case-based interviews (1 of which was brain teasers/ market sizing)
    1 fit interview with head of recruiting
    1 online case with multiple choices answers and limited time on

Interview Questions

• Why BCG?
      Why this Office rather than another?
      Any questions for us?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I had 5 cases on my final round with BCG. The first 4 cases when very smooth, completely in-line with how I had prepared, the 5th case was a disaster though. The case was about a competitor moving into a different country, all of the numbers indicated it was the wrong move for them so my recommendation was to ignore them. The Partner doing the case told me that there must be a reason for them to move so I should always follow them at least with a small launch to test the waters. It all went south from there. Didn't get an offer.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Three rounds.
    1. One online in-office numerical test. One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    2. One two-hour analysis of a 40 pages document followed by a 20mn presentation with slides (on paper). One face-to-face case study (45mn)
    3. Two face-to-face case study (45mn)

All case studies consist of a first part where the consultant presents herself or himself, followed by your own presentation, motivations and discussion on your background. Then the case itself. Finally a few minutes are kept at the end for questions from you to the consultant on her/his background or on the firm.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very rigid salary and policy so there is no negotiation.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Typical consulting interview process. Applied through college and was invited for an on-campus interview. The first round consisted of two interviews (case and behavioral), and the final round, two as well. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful, even if you initially went down a wrong path for the case. The cases themselves were of above average difficulty but were still manageable, given that you manage your time correctly.

Associate Interview

Interview

Very quick turn around between interviews, but overall a great experience. Everyone was super helpful and friendly. I can tell that everyone genuinely wanted me to succeed. Unfortaunely, I froze up during one of my final round interviews and it probably costed me the offer, but regardless , it was a great experience, and I would recommdend everyone go through with it.

First round:
    2 40 minute case interviews (few fit questions here and there)

Final round:
    3 40 minute case interviews

Interview Questions

• During my first round, I was given about 10-12 graphs, and I had to synthesize information from all of these resources, and pull insight to various questions that my interviewer was asking.   Answer Question