Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Boston Consulting Group

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview process was set up via email with BCG. I had a first round interview scheduled and was informed beforehand that I would be interviews by 2 people that day. Additionally, each interview would also be case interviews where I would go through the analysis of a specific case study and formulate a final recommendation at the end.

The office in Boston is located at State Street and is an incredible building. The office was very open with a lot of open space as well as glass walls. When I arrived there was a room with water and breakfast items as well as someone from the company sitting in the waiting area conversing with you.

Both interviewers were very welcoming and friendly. The first case study was to analyze an internal problem regarding the sales of a specialty insurance company (ie. motorcycles, ATVs, jetskis, snowmobiles, etc.). I made it through the analysis with a hint from the interviewers and came to a viable conclusion. The second case study I forget. Overall, the case studies were very similar to those they provide on the BCG website.

Interview Questions

• What is the internal problem of an insurance company that has both automobile and specialty insurance. They are investing equal parts into both divisions, but the profit from specialties is not doing quite as well as automobile. The customers have no complaints with the service. The problem is internal within the company itself. Take a look at the compensation plan for the sales associates. The commissions for automobile insurance are twice that of specialty insurance.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in October 2009.

Interview

The HR folks here are top notch, and they go out of their way to sell you on the interview experience. Absolutely best in class HR.

Phone screen interview was mostly behavioral and verification of background, experience, and general fit.

Two weeks later, was flown to the Atlanta office for a series of 4 1:1 interviews with directors/partners.
    Interviews here were case based and "think on your feet" type situations. The last interview was down right impossible as it was about an industry I knew nothing about. I thought I had completely bombed the interview, but ended up getting the offer.

Interview Questions

I took an offer with another management consulting firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in November 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with BCG as part of on campus recruiting. Did my first round interviews at the Boston Office, met with two consultants, two standard case interviews that started first a little bit with behavioral (leadership experience, team work) from my resume, then a case with each of them. One of the cases involved looking for graphs, but you have to ask for them, so if you feel that you need data to solve the case, be sure to ask.

Second round interview in the DC office (your rank top 3 preferred office locations, they fly you to one of them). I had heard that BCG case interviews tended to be very structured with graphs and diagrams, but I got one very open-ended case that surprised me.

Interview Questions

• A travel magazine is trying to decide whether to raise their prices. Do a back-of the envelope calculation for what this would mean to their business.   Answer Question
    • There is a medical company who have designed a treatment that appears to be cheaper and more efficient than existing methods, yet doctors are hesitant to use it. Why do you think that is?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2009.

Interview

Two rounds of in-office case interviews, with fairly straightforward questions in the first round. Final round questions were significantly more open-ended and involved more creative and out-of-the-box thinking. Interviewers were generally very friendly and not confrontational or condescending at all. People were also extremely eager to talk about their work and experiences.

Interview Questions

• We are working with the Port Authority of a large city, who is trying to gain some information about the types and patterns of people entering and leaving the city. What should we look for, and what should we do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2009.

Interview

First round interviews were on campus and consisted of two short case interviews -- one with a Consultant and one with a Partner. The Partner played bad cop, yawned, and shot down most responses. After surviving that round, the second round is three interviews at the office location of your preference with Partners. Generally these interviewers were friendly. Half the time was allotted for "fit" questions, and the rest for the cases. They got back to us about decisions that afternoon.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2009.

Interview

I interviewed with two individuals and each interview was about 45 minutes long, with 15 minutes dedicated to behavioral questions and the last 30 for the case study. One of my interviewers took me on a short tour of the office. In general, the case questions were quite difficult and involved quite a bit of information to mull over. I was frequently unsure which equation they wanted me to apply.

Interview Questions

• One of my interviewers asked me what I thought about the current economic crisis and how the administration was dealing with the issue.   Answer Question
    • One of my interviewers asked me about what economic philosophy I subscribed to.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singer, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Singer, LA) in October 2009.

Interview

I was given 2 case interviews: one had a ton of numbers and one was pretty vague - so I would say get as much practice with different types of cases as possible.

People were very polite and friendly - none of my interviewers were especially mean to give me a hard time.

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2008.

Interview

I was interviewed by their project leader. He was going to business school near my home town so we just talked a little for a while. Nothing serious. He seemed very smart (of course) and was one of the nicest interviewer I ever had. Then he gave me a case question based on my previous job. It was my first case interview and I completely blew it. But even though the interview did not go the way I wanted, the people there were really nice and I really would want to try again when I feel that I am ready.

Interview Questions

• How many hair salons are there in Japan?   3 Answers

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Received email from recruiter for in person interview in the New York Office. Met with two people for behavioral and case interview. Case is interviewer-led and difficult - they help you along, and give cases from their actual work experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

2 back to back interviews. Case portion runs for ~25min and then behavioural runs for ~15min. very straightforward process. Recruiter meets you at the start and in between interviews. Option to chat afterwards with recruiter or relevant employees.

Interview Questions

• Standard case questions - what happens when you acquire a company? Should you enter this market? What is market size?   Answer Question