Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Very professional environment and process. Everyone was helpful and found my way quickly. 2 case interviews each 45 mins long. A few questions about yourself and spent most of the time on case interviews

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Two 30 minute interviews with fit questions and case study. Both involved interpreting graph data and making business recommendations. Everyone was very professional and made it a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were a leader in a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

There were two on campus 30 minute case interviews. Before getting into the case there were a couple behavioral questions. One case had a lot of exhibits and the other was much more theoretical

Interview Questions

• What is something not on your resume you would like me to know about you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

First, the outreach at BCG was great (phone chats, mock cases), and the great majority of my interactions with BCGers were what I would expect of such an exceptional firm.

However, my second interviewer in Miami did not put BCG’s best foot forward. Had the position not been one in which I might not expect to report to this person, I would have withdrawn my candidacy on my way out. Though I admit my performance in this interview was not passable, the interview was not conducted in line with BCG’s interests or standards. I will explain here to give future applicants an idea of the worst case scenario they might expect.

During my first interview my second interviewer was visibly irritated on a call in the adjacent conference room. The second interview began with the interviewer unironically spending a long time mocking me for the length of my answer to "why consulting and why BCG?", condescendingly telling me they wanted no more than 5-10 words in my next answer, that this would be hard for me and they did not expect me to be capable of it. This answer has passed many interviews with consultants, and no answer is worthy of derision in a collaborative environment. This response was indicative of the tone with which the entire interview was conducted.

As a second and final anecdote, after I presented my structure for the case, the interviewer said they didn’t understand and had me explain two more times before directing me away from it as if it was wrong. After leading me to believe I was initially wrong for 15 minutes, they exasperatedly presented me with a table that mirrored the initial structure I laid out, nearly verbatim. That the interviewer would hear me describe the exact data sheet they were holding in their hands and then try to convince me I didn’t “get it” for the remainder of the interview made it clear I was not being interviewed in good faith.

If this were a good-faith attempt at the interview, I'd conclude the interviewer displayed a complete lack of interpersonal, communication and reasoning skills. However, given I can’t imagine someone so lacking in key consulting skills would be promoted to Project Leader at BCG, my hypothesis is that they came into the interview with a strong bias based on things outside of the scope of the interview and a predetermined result, and then engineered an environment in which a reason to give this result would be obtained.

Despite years of positioning myself for this job and great deal of time and expense preparing for the interview, I would have struggled to accept an offer after this experience. Needless to say, this was not a burden I had to bear! Overall, still a great firm.

Interview Questions

• Standard fit questions, interesting cases, about what one would expect with any prep.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

First Round interview. Process was a bit like herding cattle. Interviewers pushed interviewees through 45 minute blocks and then taking the next straight after. The interview itself was the standard behavior and case study process for consulting.

The cases that I got were a mixed bag, one very tough for me, the other easier. Some difficulty in the process has to do with who gives the case and whether their style is approachable. In my case the first interviewer was more challenging to interact with compared to the second.

Personally felt a mix of positives and negatives at the end. Writing this before I have found out whether I will get a second round. As a result I am writing no, just to hedge my bets.

Interview Questions

• Describe a major challenge in your recent past.   2 Answers

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 back-to-back interviews, 45 minutes each on site. ~15 minutes behavioural, ~25 minutes case, ~5 minutes my own questions. First case they tried to trip me up by giving me numbers in all different units, so be careful to check your units and math. Second case was really easy and the interviewers was much more skilled in tailoring his nudging.

They got back to me after three days, politely thanking me and informing me that they wouldn't be advancing me.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting, other than 'lots of variety, work on teams'?
      What sectors are you interested in and why?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

applied to consultant position. two rounds of interview. first round was standard behavioral and case. second round was a lot more flexible as it was with partners. they really try to stress test you so don't freak out. i didn't think i did well at all for my final round but was called first thing in the morning the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• why consulting, why bcg, how did you make a compromise.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I attended online webinars for PhD students. Then applied online and was invited for an interview in NYC. It was somewhat disorganized; I was led to the wrong room and the interviewers seemed overwhelmed and rushed. One was quite unpleasant, particularly compared to non-BCG consulting interviewers.

Both consisted of cases, one a valuation case about purchasing an NBA franchise and another about declining sales and profitability. Both fairly straightforward, although there was some intermediate accounting knowledge needed.

Interview Questions

• How does [x experience] relate and prepare you for consulting at BCG?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

This was a first round interview after previously attending the Bridge to BCG program. Because of the program, I was already a little familiar with the office and some of the staff.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you in conflict with a superior / supervisor. How did you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process was a little vague with simulation questions that very hard to decipher. It personally was a great fit for me. It seemed like a great company to work for but definitely not for everyone. Overall, I would recommend to someone else but let them know to be sure know what they're getting into before the interview.