Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

3.8

249 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter, and answered some short answer questions (e.g. describe your proudest accomplishments; describe a time you had to assume a leadership position) through their online application portal. I was invited to interview a few weeks later. To help prepare for the interview, BCG offered webinars and one-on-one mock interviews with current consultants. The first-round interview day was well-organized and ran smoothly. All candidates interviewing around the same time waited together in a room where there was coffee, tea, and snacks, as well as other consultants to chat with. We were all given little notecards with bios of our two interviewers and information regarding next steps. Both of the interviews involved a set of fit questions and a case. Depending on the interviewer, the fit portion can be more conversational or feel like you are just answering a list of separate questions. Both of the cases were as expected--challenging and with a few complicated charts.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a teammate or someone you were leading who was underperforming.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

applied through summer program, first round got two case interviews with fit. flew by very quickly. about 10minutes on fit and rest on case. very conversational in nature. i talked through a lot of my though processes and my interviewer helped guide me through which avenues to explore.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Standard first round: 2 45-min interviews.
    Each starts with a personal experience interview where they ask you questions based off of your resume. Then you proceed into a case that your interviewer has selected...which seems to usually be in an area that they have worked or know well. Lastly, they ask you if you have any questions for them.
    I have not heard if I have a second round interview yet.

Interview Questions

• When beginning a new job, was this ever unstructured and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Two interviews back-to-back: 10 minutes of fit, then about 30 minutes for the case, then 5 minutes of Q&A. No solid time-keeping from interviewers. Cases involve chart-reading and require knowledge of business concepts.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone to change course. 2) Tell me about a time when someone challenged your authority.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Very professional environment and process. Everyone was helpful and found my way quickly. 2 case interviews each 45 mins long. A few questions about yourself and spent most of the time on case interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Two 30 minute interviews with fit questions and case study. Both involved interpreting graph data and making business recommendations. Everyone was very professional and made it a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were a leader in a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

3 month period from application to final round interview. 3 separate rounds of interviews with a consultant and project lead for the first round, senior partners for the second round and another partner for the third round. Background questions and case questions. Second round had a written case.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time that you dealt with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

There were two on campus 30 minute case interviews. Before getting into the case there were a couple behavioral questions. One case had a lot of exhibits and the other was much more theoretical

Interview Questions

• What is something not on your resume you would like me to know about you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

First, the outreach at BCG was great (phone chats, mock cases), and the great majority of my interactions with BCGers were what I would expect of such an exceptional firm.

However, my second interviewer in Miami did not put BCG’s best foot forward. Had the position not been one in which I might not expect to report to this person, I would have withdrawn my candidacy on my way out. Though I admit my performance in this interview was not passable, the interview was not conducted in line with BCG’s interests or standards. I will explain here to give future applicants an idea of the worst case scenario they might expect.

During my first interview my second interviewer was visibly irritated on a call in the adjacent conference room. The second interview began with the interviewer unironically spending a long time mocking me for the length of my answer to "why consulting and why BCG?", condescendingly telling me they wanted no more than 5-10 words in my next answer, that this would be hard for me and they did not expect me to be capable of it. This answer has passed many interviews with consultants, and no answer is worthy of derision in a collaborative environment. This response was indicative of the tone with which the entire interview was conducted.

As a second and final anecdote, after I presented my structure for the case, the interviewer said they didn’t understand and had me explain two more times before directing me away from it as if it was wrong. After leading me to believe I was initially wrong for 15 minutes, they exasperatedly presented me with a table that mirrored the initial structure I laid out, nearly verbatim. That the interviewer would hear me describe the exact data sheet they were holding in their hands and then try to convince me I didn’t “get it” for the remainder of the interview made it clear I was not being interviewed in good faith.

If this were a good-faith attempt at the interview, I'd conclude the interviewer displayed a complete lack of interpersonal, communication and reasoning skills. However, given I can’t imagine someone so lacking in key consulting skills would be promoted to Project Leader at BCG, my hypothesis is that they came into the interview with a strong bias based on things outside of the scope of the interview and a predetermined result, and then engineered an environment in which a reason to give this result would be obtained.

Despite years of positioning myself for this job and great deal of time and expense preparing for the interview, I would have struggled to accept an offer after this experience. Needless to say, this was not a burden I had to bear! Overall, still a great firm.

Interview Questions

• Standard fit questions, interesting cases, about what one would expect with any prep.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

First Round interview. Process was a bit like herding cattle. Interviewers pushed interviewees through 45 minute blocks and then taking the next straight after. The interview itself was the standard behavior and case study process for consulting.

The cases that I got were a mixed bag, one very tough for me, the other easier. Some difficulty in the process has to do with who gives the case and whether their style is approachable. In my case the first interviewer was more challenging to interact with compared to the second.

Personally felt a mix of positives and negatives at the end. Writing this before I have found out whether I will get a second round. As a result I am writing no, just to hedge my bets.

Interview Questions

• Describe a major challenge in your recent past.   2 Answers