Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

3.8

243 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna (Austria)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Vienna (Austria)) in July 2017.

Interview

Man kommt im Büro an, wird herzlich begrüßt und dann in den Interview Raum gebracht. Dort gibt es 2 Interviews und danach noch einen Online Test. Während der Gespräche wird man ständig mit Getränken versorgt.

Interview Questions

• Es werden in den Interviews zuerst Fragen zum Lebenslauf und zur Motivation gestellt danach gibt es zwei typische Case Interviews.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process consist of 1st stage computer test, 25 questions, 45 minutes. The second round is two interviews with 10 minutes personal interview and 20 minutes case interviews. The third round with partners consist of three interviews (personal + case). The cases in the last round are more complex than the second round.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest achievement so far?
      Case interviews: Second round - mostly around profit and loss
      Case interviews: Final round - test various business concepts   1 Answer

Consulting Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

This was the Round 1 of the application process. It follows after a phone-screening interview. Round 1 interview process includes a fit interview (getting to know about you) and the case study which is an assessment on whether or not you can handle consulting on a daily basis.

Interview Questions

• Mergers and Acquisition question of magazine companies in the US that are trying to adapt to globalization and reduce costs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

You have to network a lot, then you may get invited to a first interview with two people (each one will ask behavioral questions and give you one case). When you pass will have another two interviews with more senior people.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

3 month period from application to final round interview. 3 separate rounds of interviews with a consultant and project lead for the first round, senior partners for the second round and another partner for the third round. Background questions and case questions. Second round had a written case.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time that you dealt with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Very professional environment and process. Everyone was helpful and found my way quickly. 2 case interviews each 45 mins long. A few questions about yourself and spent most of the time on case interviews

Consultant Interview

Interview

Typical case study interview process - 2 rounds of 3 1 hour case study interviews, some competency questions based on your CV followed by a case study in each session.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Two 30 minute interviews with fit questions and case study. Both involved interpreting graph data and making business recommendations. Everyone was very professional and made it a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were a leader in a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in March 2017.

Interview

Sehr professionelles Interview mit detailliertem Feedback. Eine Atmosphäre des Drucks wird vermieden - ganz im Gegenteil, es wird dem Kandidaten bewusst gemacht, dass es Interesse an guten Leistungen gibt. Auswahl der Interviewpartner nach Interessen des Kandidaten. Grundsätzlich werden sowohl fachliche Fragen, Fragen zu "Soft-Skills", und Motivation aber auch Cases gestellt.

Interview Questions

• Beschreiben Sie die Aktiva und Passiva auf einer Bankbilanz.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

First, the outreach at BCG was great (phone chats, mock cases), and the great majority of my interactions with BCGers were what I would expect of such an exceptional firm.

However, my second interviewer in Miami did not put BCG’s best foot forward. Had the position not been one in which I might not expect to report to this person, I would have withdrawn my candidacy on my way out. Though I admit my performance in this interview was not passable, the interview was not conducted in line with BCG’s interests or standards. I will explain here to give future applicants an idea of the worst case scenario they might expect.

During my first interview my second interviewer was visibly irritated on a call in the adjacent conference room. The second interview began with the interviewer unironically spending a long time mocking me for the length of my answer to "why consulting and why BCG?", condescendingly telling me they wanted no more than 5-10 words in my next answer, that this would be hard for me and they did not expect me to be capable of it. This answer has passed many interviews with consultants, and no answer is worthy of derision in a collaborative environment. This response was indicative of the tone with which the entire interview was conducted.

As a second and final anecdote, after I presented my structure for the case, the interviewer said they didn’t understand and had me explain two more times before directing me away from it as if it was wrong. After leading me to believe I was initially wrong for 15 minutes, they exasperatedly presented me with a table that mirrored the initial structure I laid out, nearly verbatim. That the interviewer would hear me describe the exact data sheet they were holding in their hands and then try to convince me I didn’t “get it” for the remainder of the interview made it clear I was not being interviewed in good faith.

If this were a good-faith attempt at the interview, I'd conclude the interviewer displayed a complete lack of interpersonal, communication and reasoning skills. However, given I can’t imagine someone so lacking in key consulting skills would be promoted to Project Leader at BCG, my hypothesis is that they came into the interview with a strong bias based on things outside of the scope of the interview and a predetermined result, and then engineered an environment in which a reason to give this result would be obtained.

Despite years of positioning myself for this job and great deal of time and expense preparing for the interview, I would have struggled to accept an offer after this experience. Needless to say, this was not a burden I had to bear! Overall, still a great firm.

Interview Questions

• Standard fit questions, interesting cases, about what one would expect with any prep.   1 Answer