Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2011.

Interview

there were two rounds of interviews. In the first round there were two interviews, both the interviews spent significant time on case interview and then some time on personal leadership questions. First round is elimination round, it takes a week or more to find out whether you cleared first round or not. Next round is similar with three or more interviews.

Interview Questions

• Gave me a case on overseas manufacturing and a case non-profit revenue growth   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview included three rounds, with an initial pre-screen. Final round was in the office where i was joining. The interviews included a fit questionaire section and a case on a topic from the client. Case included a math portion and a lot of framing analytics. All interviewers were very nice and friendly. But questions were tough.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Started the process through a referral. The process consists of three rounds, the first just being a test similar to the GMAT but not multiple choice, only math, 20 questions in 20 minutes.
    Then two 45 minute interviews, going over experience and some personal details, but mostly focusing on the case studies. These are cases that BCG actually worked on and summarized in a way that you can have a general sense and provide some insight. It's important to show your reasoning as you go along, as well as ask questions to be sure that you're getting all the information.
    I didn't make it to the second and final round, but from what I understood it's the same case study format, just with more senior members of the team.
    Everyone I dealt with, really everyone, was extremely polite, professional, helpful and generally simply nice to talk to and deal with. The only downside I saw was that there was no feedback process, but the fact is that the competition is very tough, so even if you do well and don't really have anything in particular you need to improve, someone could very well have done better or have a more apt background or whatnot.

Interview Questions

• No particular difficult or unexpected question. The case questions didn't seem particularly hard   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Bewerbung Online, dann eingeladen zum Vorstellungsgespräch. Sehr nette und professionelle Atmosphäre. Zwei Case Interviews, zusammen mit zwei Personal Fit interviews. Sehr detaillierte Fragen zum Lebenslauf. Keine Stressfragen. Zwischen durch "Online-Case", ca. 45min am Computer. Von der Struktur so wie der online verfügbare Beispiel Case.

Interview Questions

• Die Fragen waren sehr straight forward. Das Interview format war eher "candidate-led".   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral and was invited to interview within approximately 1 month of the initial referral. I had 3 rounds of interviews all in one day, with a decision at the end of each round on whether interviewees had done well enough to move to the next stage. It was a long and gruelling day and required a lot of stamina, although there were breaks during which I was able to go to go outside, get some fresh air and recharge.

Before the interviews started we had a one hour session with a number of current consultants introducing the firm, getting to know each other and giving candidates the opportunity to ask questions for about half an hour - it was a nice way to start the day and meant I felt fairly relaxed by the time I went into my first interview.

The first round involved 2 regular case interviews and then an 'online case' i.e. numeracy & chart reading test done on a computer. The second round consisted of 2 cases with principals and the final round was just one case interview with a senior partner. Each interview lasted 45-60mins.

Each interview followed the classic format, i.e. 10-15m discussion about fit, motivation, prior experiences and leadership credentials, followed by up to 45m discussing a business case.

The fit discussions were in line with my expectations, and no major curveballs although I was asked to discuss a time I had failed and what I learnt from it. I found this section of the interview very informal and enjoyed getting to know my interviewers during the discussion. The case interviews were less fomulaic than at the other top tier firm I received an offer from and quite intellectually stimiulating. I found the key was putting down a very clear structure at the beginning and using it as a reference throughout the interview to engage the interviewer in my thinking.

Most of the cases involved calculations, one involved some quite lengthy and laborious market size calculations for different market segements. What helped here was actually writing out my equation and variables and then running each calculation whilst filling in a table to keep things organized. My 3rd round did not require any calculations at all and felt more like a series of mini-cases about specific business topics, than a classic business case.

Other than that the support team did a great job throughout the process (I had to fly to a neighboring country for my interview), they put us up in a lovely hotel and informed me of the outcome pretty early on the next working day after the interview.

Interview Questions

• I had one deeply theoretical case about the automotive industry in which the solution required me to develop an equation from first principles to describe the economics of the product line the 'client' was operating in.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Limited room to negotiate as packages and benefits are standardized. I had another offer from BCG's main competitor and their benefits package was superior (though their base pay was lower). Despite this, BCG did not change their offer significantly in the course of negotiations. However I went with BCG as it felt like the better fit for me and I was impressed with them throughout the process

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Paris (France)) in May 2012.

Interview

Two round of interviews with two interviews for each round. Interviews are based on business cases solving and you get feedback on your performance after each round. You also have to make a presentation on a business case which is easier than live interviews but challlenging in terms of time management

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between BCG and other strategy consulting firms ?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

The first round interview consisted of two 40 minute back-to-back case interviews with the first 10-15 minutes of each devoted to behavioral questions. The interviewers were very nice and seemed to sincerely want you to perform well on the cases. The interview was the result of an employee referral. After communicating with recruiting, I had approximately a month to push back the interview in order to prepare.

Interview Questions

• One of the business cases involved evaluating whether a supermarket chain should expand its offerings.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Brussels (Belgium)) in October 2014.

Interview

The very good point of BCG is that they assign you a buddy in order to prep the interview and ask the preliminary questions. Having said that, I guess that unless you clearly say in the interview that you are ready to kill/die for the job, I guess chances are very slim. The interviewers were very friendly and nice. The process is probably very good in order to pick very competitive, motivated people.

Interview Questions

• 2*45 min, 20 min of CV questions, the rest on case study + questions for the interviewer   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

I interviewed as an ADC (2yr postdoc experience in the life sciences). People were extremely friendly. Went through two rounds of two 45 min interviews each. First round with a consultant and a principal, second/decision round with a partner and a senior partner. Cases were difficult but fair; more emphasis on fit and creativity within your framework.

Interview Questions

• Why is your research relevant? (What followed was a debate on the pros and cons; did my best to be polite but emphatic)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2012.

Interview

For PhD with a science/engineering background at a target school, the process starts with on campus recruitment. Getting an interview largely depends on the quality of the resume, which should really stand out as they probably spend no more than 30 sec on each in the screening process. Previous internship at Fortune 500 companies is (almost) a must as there are more people with it than they recruit. PhDs are hired at the same level as MBAs so the competition is fierce. There are two rounds of interviews and most people get cut in the 1st round. Interviewee driven style for cases so if you don't get to the point they will just stare at you. At least 3 months of preparation is necessary, but you can spend a year to prepare and still get cut in the first round, which happened to tens of people I know. Don't get obsessed in this. Luck is most important.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you have to convince someone to do something he/she originally wasn't willing to.   1 Answer