Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2017

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Interviews were rigorous and difficult. Important to maintain cool under pressure. Must have hypothesis driven approach and interviewee must drive the case. Good structure and math are expected. Solution - practice... a lot.

1 round interview - 2 interviews in local office. Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Project Leader and Principal.
Decision round - 3 interviews in the office of choice/preference. Again Mix of behavioral and case interviews with Partners and Principals.

Interview Questions

• Rigor of the cases. Must have creative solutions yet also suggest implementable solutions to tough problems in a very short time (approx. 25 min cases).   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Best in class offers.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Long and strenuous interview process, but a great experience

Interview Questions

• I was asked about a trucking company that was experiencing revenue loss year-over-year.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in August 2009.

Interview

Standard consulting case interview process. 2 rounds of interviews, 2 interviews in the first round, 3 interviews in the second round. All interviews with consulting staff, 2nd round with more senior staff. In both rounds decisions came the same day. Practice case offered between rounds. Interviews each took about 45 min.

Interview Questions

• All the interviews had business cases, exactly as expected. All the cases were interesting problems to solve.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, which is typical for top consulting firms under normal circumstances.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The lion's share of interviewing is done with students, undergraduates for Associate positions and MBAs for consulting positions.

There is an extensive resume screen and only the top candidates from the top schools are chosen for interviews.

Interviews are done for "classes" of consultants that will all start at the same time and position. Candidates come in for several case interviews in one day - typically 3-5 interviews.

Those who make it through the first round are invited back for a second round. Successful candidates receive an offer that is non negotiable.

Interview Questions

• A case study where you are presented with only a few facts and asked to provide a recommendation on what the company should do.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, first round involved 2 interviews with project leaders and second round 3 interviews with principals and partners. Standard management consulting interviews with half time spent on case study and other half spent on your personal story/background. Very tough interview, but overall a very pleasant experience with a great group of people.

Interview Questions

• Case interview involving mining company that pioneered a new mining process that made extensive ore deposits accessible but required new equipment not commercially available. Should they manufacturer in-house or contract to outside firms?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2009.

Interview

Basic consulting interviews

Two 1:1 case interviews - On campus

Three 1:1 case interviews - At the office

The case interviews are very standard fare. Make sure you do many many mock interviews before doing the real thing. Very few people can wing it. There are a number of books out to help you practice putting together a structure. These are helpful. i strongly believe the hardest part of the interview is structuring the problem up-front, so the books can help you here. As is anything all it take is practice. It will show in your presentation skills.

The second round interviews are very similar to the first with the exception that they are conducted by partners. Partners tend to be much more loose with the cases they give, which means you are likely to get someone unconventional questions. The interview is not necessarily harder, but it is a little bit more nerve racking.

Interview Questions

• IT firm expanding to new city - How would this work? What would we think about?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate anything. If you have a competing from a top firm they will raise their bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

2 interviews first round (background and case)
    3 interviews final round (background and case)

BCG has a very transparent interview process, they let you know exactly what you are going to be doing. That being said, they expect perfection - my interviews all went well (I would say my final round interviews were just as good as my first round interviews) but that wasn't enough to get the offer. Answer one question wrong or pause for 2 seconds on one part of one case, and you're sunk.

They are very professional and amicable, recruiting services were wonderful. Only thing that could have been better is if I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Typical cases on revenue stream changes in a pharma company.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2011.

Interview

I had my first round interview on campus with BCG. As someone with an advanced non-business degree, I knew I was going to be a somewhat unusual candidate. Accordingly, I spent months preparing for the case interviews and general fit questions.

My interview was the final one of the day. Unfortunately, it quickly became clear that my interviewer had zero interest in being there at that point. He was extremely short and rude throughout the interview. The case he gave me was a straight numbers problem (which I didn't realize until part of the way through). It was surprisingly difficult, and I struggled both with keeping the numbers straight and dealing with the pressure of the interviewer's attitude.

The second interview went better. The guy was tired, but nice, and the case was somewhat more conventional. However, I knew by then that it was already a lost cause, so I just kind of struggled through it and got out of there.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2011.

Interview

I applied through the career center at school as the company comes to recruit here. Then, got interview invitation and I had to fly to another city for the interview. The interview consisted of 3 sessions. All were behavioral and case interviews.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Düsseldorf (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Düsseldorf (Germany)) in January 2011.

Interview

Ich habe die Einladung für ein Bewerbungsgespräch über die Teilnahme an einem Workshop bekommen. Das Bewerbungsverfahren bestand aus zwei Gesprächsrunden an zwei Tagen.

Erste Runde: Einführende Vorstellung des Unternehmens, zwei Gespräche mit je einem Gesprächspartner. Fragen zur Persönlichkeit und beidesmal eine Fallstudie. Eindruck positiv, die Interviewer waren freundlich und einfühlsam. Die Fälle waren nicht schwierig. Fall eins: Firma im Stahlhandel will Kosten reduzieren, Antwort ist im Wesentlichen, dass sie administrative Kosten senken müssen. Zweiter Fall: Produktion in der Lieferkette dauerte länger als bei der Konkurrenz. Antwort: Aufträge für die Lieferanten wurden zu spät abgeschickt.

Die zweite Runde war viel aggressiver und nicht so freundlich. Durchdringende Fragen zur persönlichen Eignung, viel schwierigere Fallstudien. Die Interviewer waren nicht mehr so einfühlsam. 4 Interviews: Im ersten ging es nur um persönliche Eignung. In den übrigen drei gab es viel schwierigere Fallstudien. Fall eins: Betonproduktion in Deutschland, Marktvolumen für einen neuen Betontyp. Fall zwei: Zwei Auktionshäuser, Vergleich der Geschäftszahlen und Frage, ob man Objekte unter 5 Euro aus dem internen Handel ausschließen sollte.

Fall drei: eine Oper und Gelegenheiten zur Kostenreduktion oder Verkaufssteigerung.

Interview Questions

• Sollte die Firma einen neuen Typ Beton auf den deutschen Markt bringen? Der Typ zeichnet sich durch eine ohne zusätzliches Polieren flache und ebene Oberfläche aus, aber kostet in der Produktion 20 % mehr.   1 Answer