Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 8, 2017

3.8

257 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Interview

Campus recruitin. Typical two rounds interview for ADCs. First rounds were relatively formal and cases were typical ones compared to the practice cases. Final round case with partner was difficult. Fit questions were also more challenging (ask failure, etc.) Didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time that you worked in a team and you were the problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in October 2014.

Interview

1st round, two case interviews, not very hard. I am a PhD, and don't have much business ground, but I think the questions are still not hard. The brainstorming part is to think about factors relevant to how to choose a city for a new restaurant.

Interview Questions

• Use three words to describe the consulting job   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA).

Interview

Networking is key to get a interview slot. Very important to identify the office of choice and have a strong reason as to why that office suits you well. Half the battle is behavioral, so trying to "crack" only the case interview may not be sufficient. Need to front load the networking and get into the list of interviews and then focus on working on the case interview. BCG case interviews are usually open ended unlike other consulting firms. You are expected to drive the process by yourself.

Interview Questions

• No bouncers, straight forward questions. The case can be tricky at time, esp. the second round ones which are with the partners   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation on salary - potentially joining date etc are negotiable

Consultant Interview

Interview

went through case study where they talked about an oil company and the financial difficulties and there was some other companies that also played a part. Many of the companies sold energy or worked on energy. The interviewer was very nice, not very chatty. Some of the other questions were very standard things like working in groups, conflict etc.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

I interviewed as an ADC (2yr postdoc experience in the life sciences). People were extremely friendly. Went through two rounds of two 45 min interviews each. First round with a consultant and a principal, second/decision round with a partner and a senior partner. Cases were difficult but fair; more emphasis on fit and creativity within your framework.

Interview Questions

• Why is your research relevant? (What followed was a debate on the pros and cons; did my best to be polite but emphatic)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

2 rounds for ADCs. Both had 2 interviews each. Final round had written case which included a deck and discussion with the partner. Phone call with offer came the same evening.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

Upon getting the notification email for interview, I was also given the option to attend their case workshop. Very beneficial, especially for candidates not too familiar with doing cases. Through the workshop, candidates can also learn more about the BCG interview style. Aside from general info, we did two cases with two different consultants. For the 1st round in office interview, which consisted of 2 interview sessions, within each, there were a fit question portion, 30 min case, then Q&A. Interviewers were nice, the interview process itself seemed very casual and more conversational.

Interview Questions

• Unexpectedly, an interviewer asked me about my thesis project, which is very heavy on science.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

There were two 45-minute interviews with a Project Leader and a Principle. Both interviewers were similar - 5 minute intro, 10 minutes of fit questions, 25 minutes of the case, and 5 minutes of my questions. There was nothing really surprising. Both interviewers were pleasant to talk to.

The first case was led by the interviewer (i.e. interviewer asking questions), while the second was interviewee-led (i.e. interviewer presents information only when asked). This threw me off as I was expecting the the interviewee-led cases. Be ready to lead the case or be led. The same structured approach should be applied to both.

Interview Questions

• What accomplishment outside of work/school are you most proud of? What qualities would your ideal manager have?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interview. First round with junior people at an office close-by, both fit and case portions were no surprise. Candidates should prepare according to various online resources.

Second round was with the final office of choice. It also contained a written/presentation style format where candidates will be asked to prepare an executive summary and present with slides of choice.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in September 2014.

Interview

The first round interview consisted of two 40 minute back-to-back case interviews with the first 10-15 minutes of each devoted to behavioral questions. The interviewers were very nice and seemed to sincerely want you to perform well on the cases. The interview was the result of an employee referral. After communicating with recruiting, I had approximately a month to push back the interview in order to prepare.

Interview Questions

• One of the business cases involved evaluating whether a supermarket chain should expand its offerings.   Answer Question