Boston Consulting Group Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

First Round interview. Process was a bit like herding cattle. Interviewers pushed interviewees through 45 minute blocks and then taking the next straight after. The interview itself was the standard behavior and case study process for consulting.

The cases that I got were a mixed bag, one very tough for me, the other easier. Some difficulty in the process has to do with who gives the case and whether their style is approachable. In my case the first interviewer was more challenging to interact with compared to the second.

Personally felt a mix of positives and negatives at the end. Writing this before I have found out whether I will get a second round. As a result I am writing no, just to hedge my bets.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

2 back-to-back interviews, 45 minutes each on site. ~15 minutes behavioural, ~25 minutes case, ~5 minutes my own questions. First case they tried to trip me up by giving me numbers in all different units, so be careful to check your units and math. Second case was really easy and the interviewers was much more skilled in tailoring his nudging.

They got back to me after three days, politely thanking me and informing me that they wouldn't be advancing me.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting, other than 'lots of variety, work on teams'?
      What sectors are you interested in and why?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

applied to consultant position. two rounds of interview. first round was standard behavioral and case. second round was a lot more flexible as it was with partners. they really try to stress test you so don't freak out. i didn't think i did well at all for my final round but was called first thing in the morning the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• why consulting, why bcg, how did you make a compromise.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I attended online webinars for PhD students. Then applied online and was invited for an interview in NYC. It was somewhat disorganized; I was led to the wrong room and the interviewers seemed overwhelmed and rushed. One was quite unpleasant, particularly compared to non-BCG consulting interviewers.

Both consisted of cases, one a valuation case about purchasing an NBA franchise and another about declining sales and profitability. Both fairly straightforward, although there was some intermediate accounting knowledge needed.

Interview Questions

• How does [x experience] relate and prepare you for consulting at BCG?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process was a little vague with simulation questions that very hard to decipher. It personally was a great fit for me. It seemed like a great company to work for but definitely not for everyone. Overall, I would recommend to someone else but let them know to be sure know what they're getting into before the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews on site. Each round consists of two separate 45-minute interviews that have a fit portion and one case interview. The first round of case interview is more organized while the second round with Principals/Partners is more casual.

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome an obstacle in a team setting?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was very straightforward, consisting of two fit and case interviews back to back. Each was conducted in person by project leaders in the local office. Fit portion consisted of typical walk me through your resume questions, probing about leadership, team work and challenges. The case interviews were very different and were pulled from two different industries. The interviewers were very personable. The cases were relatively simple, but the stress of the situation can fluster any candidate.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Standard, two interviews, each with a fit and case portion. I clicked with one interviewer but not the other. Tell me about a time when you royally damaged your credibility and how you fixed it.

Interview Questions

• How would you cut costs for the IT department of a large fortune 500 company?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Interview through Bridge program as ADC, meaning 3 months to prepare. Lots of feedback and guidance, including 2 mock interviews with consultants. Actual interviews: 2 interviews a week apart, each with 2 sets of 15 min fit and then ~20 min case, with one written case in final interview. Written case was by far the most complicated.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got a practice phone interview a few days before the real deal. First round was two interviews with current consultants. Half fit, half case, with time for questions at the end. Second round was two interviews again, one with a principal and one with a partner. The case with the principal was a written case, which I enjoyed much more than the regular cases, and the second case with the partner was more typical, but less structured than usual.