Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,187 Interview Reviews

3.7

1,187 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2017.

Interview

A simple phone screen. Recruiter was cold, and unfriendly. Questions were vague and there didn't really seem to be a lot of thought put behind them. Then rapid-fire questions over my pay and benefits of my current position, almost as if I was trying to be tripped up. All this with a tone of disbelief. Made me think twice about applying to BCG again - if this was a glimpse into how HR approaches staff, I'd like a company that views their employees as human capital that should be valued, rather than adversaries. I left feeling like the latter.

Interview Questions

• Go through your whole CV from the time you left college   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Two round. First round was a group interview with one other applicant and the interviewer. It was all behavioral questions. Second round was two case interviews. The first round was in the office closest to my school. The second round was in the office I would be interning at.

Interview Questions

• What is something you're interested in? Talk about a problem in that area.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2017.

Interview

The process is two phone interviews, two video interviews, and one in person interview. I made it through the first two. The ladies I spoke with were polite and easy to talk to.

I was emailed the day after submitting my application (Tuesday) regarding my availability to interview within the next few days. I interviewed on that Friday and was contacted the following Tuesday for my next interview, which was scheduled for that Thursday. I was notified that I would not be proceeding within a few days.

Interview Questions

• Take three to five minutes to walk me through your educational and professional background.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process took about a month from the time I applied to hearing my decision. The process consisted of 1 phone interview, 2 web/phone interviews and 1 in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose this role and why with BCG?   Answer Question
    • What 3 adjectives would your employer use to best describe you?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you've dealt with conflict and how did you handle it   Answer Question
    • What is one mistake you've made and how did you handle the aftermath?   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in May 2017.

Interview

I was humbled to be considered for employment with BGC, had a phone screen with recruiter followed by a video interview with the hiring manager after I followed up with recruiter. Only received rejection after following up with recruiter again which was automated & not personal. No feedback was provided.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Two 30 minute interviews with fit questions and case study. Both involved interpreting graph data and making business recommendations. Everyone was very professional and made it a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were a leader in a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

3 month period from application to final round interview. 3 separate rounds of interviews with a consultant and project lead for the first round, senior partners for the second round and another partner for the third round. Background questions and case questions. Second round had a written case.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time that you dealt with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

I attended a school career fair and got contact information of an employee. So I asked him if he can refer me and he did. I got the first interview and it was an experience interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project that you have particular interests in, explain what you did and the results.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

There were two on campus 30 minute case interviews. Before getting into the case there were a couple behavioral questions. One case had a lot of exhibits and the other was much more theoretical

Interview Questions

• What is something not on your resume you would like me to know about you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

First, the outreach at BCG was great (phone chats, mock cases), and the great majority of my interactions with BCGers were what I would expect of such an exceptional firm.

However, my second interviewer in Miami did not put BCG’s best foot forward. Had the position not been one in which I might not expect to report to this person, I would have withdrawn my candidacy on my way out. Though I admit my performance in this interview was not passable, the interview was not conducted in line with BCG’s interests or standards. I will explain here to give future applicants an idea of the worst case scenario they might expect.

During my first interview my second interviewer was visibly irritated on a call in the adjacent conference room. The second interview began with the interviewer unironically spending a long time mocking me for the length of my answer to "why consulting and why BCG?", condescendingly telling me they wanted no more than 5-10 words in my next answer, that this would be hard for me and they did not expect me to be capable of it. This answer has passed many interviews with consultants, and no answer is worthy of derision in a collaborative environment. This response was indicative of the tone with which the entire interview was conducted.

As a second and final anecdote, after I presented my structure for the case, the interviewer said they didn’t understand and had me explain two more times before directing me away from it as if it was wrong. After leading me to believe I was initially wrong for 15 minutes, they exasperatedly presented me with a table that mirrored the initial structure I laid out, nearly verbatim. That the interviewer would hear me describe the exact data sheet they were holding in their hands and then try to convince me I didn’t “get it” for the remainder of the interview made it clear I was not being interviewed in good faith.

If this were a good-faith attempt at the interview, I'd conclude the interviewer displayed a complete lack of interpersonal, communication and reasoning skills. However, given I can’t imagine someone so lacking in key consulting skills would be promoted to Project Leader at BCG, my hypothesis is that they came into the interview with a strong bias based on things outside of the scope of the interview and a predetermined result, and then engineered an environment in which a reason to give this result would be obtained.

Despite years of positioning myself for this job and great deal of time and expense preparing for the interview, I would have struggled to accept an offer after this experience. Needless to say, this was not a burden I had to bear! Overall, still a great firm.

Interview Questions

• Standard fit questions, interesting cases, about what one would expect with any prep.   1 Answer