Boston Consulting Group Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 9, 2017

3.8

117 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

BCG came onto campus during the fall semester to hold recruit at my school. I applied online and was given a first round interview at their offices in my school's city. A recent alumni of my school and current BCGer contacted me by e-mail shortly after I accepted my interview and led me through a practice interview and case on the phone in preparation for my actual interview. The interview was pretty typical as far as Big Three consulting interviews go. I had back to back interviews for around a half our each with two project leaders, and each gave me a case in their area of expertise. The cases were fairly standard BCG cases - think big picture rather than those market-sizing type questions - and there are a ton of examples that you can (and should) use to practice before your interview. I had only looked at cases in the days before my interview, and needless to say, I did not do as well as I would have liked. Still a great experience though, I just wish I would have done more ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• Be sure to study a wide variety of cases ahead of time and understand what types of questions you will need to ask to get all the information you need. Your interviewers will help guide you along if you're truly stuck, but you should to get it on your own. Also, make sure that your calculations are precise. Definitely ask for a minute to gather your thoughts if you need it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Interview

Had one face-to-face interview on campus. Interviewer asked basic questions, mainly about myself and my qualifications. Then , the interviewer received a phone call as proceeded to have a conversation during our interview! After he hung up, he didn't even apologize.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I submitted my resume on campus and through their website, and heard back within less than a week. I attended their info session, which was not very useful in terms of learning about cases but was a good opportunity to see their (impressive) offices. The actual interview was very straight-forward, although I did not feel like the interviewers actually tried to get to know me. It was all "down-to-business." It might have been because they were tired -- it was an 8am interview and they admitted to working long hours. Either way, it's a great company and that becomes evident as soon as you walk into the door. However, the interview process could certainly be improved and interviewers should be held to a higher standard.

Interview Questions

• There were two cases, one with each interviewer. Pretty standard cases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Recruited at school, turned in application and was invited for on-campus interview.

Interview Questions

• Have to do some quick mental math, mostly multiplication of low double-digit numbers. Should understand unit conversion well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

Career center resume drop, followed by invitation to first-round interview, and finally a second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Case questions are structured, but definitely requires thinking outside of the box.   Answer Question

Had a better offer elsewhere

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

During the third interview with the head of the department, he mentioned that they would be sending me to China or Paris for a year after a few months in Chicago. I was engaged and attending graduate school at Kellogg. This caught me completely off guard and I basically turned down the opportunity. If I had more notice, I might have been willing to find a way to make it work. Seems like an important detail to not mention as part of the job requirement.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Generally professional, treats you well. Nice accommodations and preparedness. Atypical and interesting cases.

Interview Questions

• Determine why the stock of an airline company is going down despite increasing revenue and profits   Answer Question
    • Determine whether to enter the Green Car market as a major car manufacturer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Interview consisted of two case study interviews which two associates both based out of San Francisco office. Mostly easy going but they did not ask any behavioral question. Make sure you know why you want to work for BCG.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

For MD degrees, don't even apply unless you almost have (or have) an MBA - they care very much about business knowledge; they don't care to tap on you background. And by the way, they don't get the good MD, Eng, or PhDs - only the ones that cannot go elsewhere: misleading advertising...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied, then got invited to two social/networking events before interview. Had 2 30min interviews with mid-level consultants. One seemed bored/tired--> didn't click. Rapport with the other one was much better. Cases: how to increase profits for pharma company (reduce number of drugs advancing to pahse 2 trials), should financial asset mngmt compnay enter China.
    Overall, very good experience, communications were very professional and courteous, felt like they cared for the success of the interviewees, very relaxed, very conversational interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why are pharma costs so high, esp compared to competitors   Answer Question
    • should financial asset mngmt company enter chinese market   Answer Question