Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

3.8

Summer Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

I went through the standard recruiting process for current first-year MBA students. I went to an large informational meeting, had office hours with someone from the firm in person, spoke with BCG consultants on the phone who were working in areas i was interested in, etc. I probably had met a dozen BCG employees and had 1/2 hour conversations with 7 of them before submitting my application. I think this is important not because of the value of the networking, but because it helps you understand why BCG is the right place for you.

I had first-round interviews in early January. Two 45-minute interviews. The first 15-20 minutes were a behavioral/fit interview, the rest was a case. I found out the next day that I had made it through to the "Decision Round" interview which was held the following Friday in the office for which I was interviewing. There were 3 options for times during that day -- 8:00, 10:30, and 1:30. I started at 1:30, had two interviews similar to the first round (behavioral/case), and then met less formally with two other people -- one was the head of the office, the other was a senior principal. I got the call with good news less than 15 minutes after I walked out of the office.

I did probably 30-40 cases in preparation. It felt like in the cases generally they were really testing to see to what extent you were really grappling with the problem vs simply working through the case. The DR interviews were slightly more wide open. More about "How should we think about this?" rather than "Get to the right answer in the next 7 minutes."

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Interview Questions

• Know your story and why BCG/consulting is the right next step for you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Maybe over start date? None for summer positions.

Summer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

There was 2 rounds of interviews, one on campus and one at the office. Each round had 2 45-minute interviews,each with a mix of behavioral questions and a case study. The 2nd round interviews were with Principals/Partners. It was definitely harder than the 1st round but I felt that it was more of a "could I stand to work with this person" test. Come with questions and curiosity about that person's work. It helps to have some insights into related industries that the partner may care about.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a nice experience. Three one on one session. You will have chance to meet very smart and motivated people. The interview itself is normal consulting type case interview + personal experience interview. each one is about 40 min. Make sure have adequate practice before being there since it may need you have ability to drive the case from the beginning to the end.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Campus Recruiting. Standard interview process - two interviews back to back with partners. First ten to fifteen minutes were behavioral and rest of interview was a case. Behavioral section was pretty laid back, with a couple of rote questions regarding a specific experience when I had to work with a team.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Italy, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Italy, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Typical consulting interview process with case studies and personal fits questions, a couple of rounds with consultants from different seniorities. Before getting access to the case studies a couple of tests are required to pass: one numerical tests with calculations and one logical test with figures, quite easy but the difficult thing is the time. Afterwards, together with the case study interviews, there is another online case test done on the computer but very similar to interviews as it is always a case study

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New Haven, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

After resume drop and an in-person alumni meeting, I was given an interview slot about a few weeks afterward. The interview was two separate back to back thirty+ minute interviews, each with a case and behavioral questions. There were two separate interviewers with different roles in the company.

Interview Questions

• Case questions to assess consulting/business skill set   2 Answers

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Good and quick communication throughout, three rounds in total. First round included a maths test but this wasn't nearly as bad as the PST at McKinsey, it was the specific university recruiting test and not the case based one used in other cases.

Interview Questions

• First interviewer was a very friendly partner who asked me how much I wanted the job and asked positive and simple questions about my CV. Case Question: tell me how you think the drop in oil price has affected the world i.e. companies, governments, consumers etc. ...second interviewer picked away at my CV negatively and it was difficult not to feel defensive, he also seemed bored during the case.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Recruited on-campus, had first and second round interviews, both at the BCG office. First round was done by consultants, second was by partner/principal. The partner/principal interview was much less structured than the first round (much less like the case interviews I prepared for), but that was fine. I got the feeling that the partner was really watching me closely as I answered to see if I was being authentic and to see how my performance during the interview would extrapolate to on-the-job performance.

Interview Questions

• Why do you not plan to return to the consulting firm you interned with last summer (where I had a return offer)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Basically no negotiation for salary, since salaries are standardized across the company (you might be able to negotiate your base salary up, but at the end of the year there's a target salary they aim for, so your bonus will be adjusted to take this into account).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Began with an online application followed by a phone interview with a series of behavioral questions. After that there were two rounds of case interviews. The case interviews were each 45 minutes and started with casual conversation and standard behavioral questions and then there was the case. The cases were never too bad, but make sure you understand how to structure your solution and really talk out what you're thinking and doing so the interviewer can follow you.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to change your stance on an issue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

First round interview: 2 back to back interviews with associates doing business cases. Spent a little time in the conference room mingling and eating the provided burritos.

Wait 7-8 days...call from the recruiter asking me to come back in. He gave me feedback on what to do better and what I did well. Second round interview scheduled for two weeks later.

Second (final) round interview: 3 back to back 45 min interviews with 2 case team leaders and 1 principal. Slightly more time spent on fit, but the case is the focus.

Most important advice given to me: you have to nail ALL THREE cases to get the offer: I only nailed two, ce la vie...

Interview Questions

• Really nothing surprising if you're trying to get into consulting. Very little time spent on fit questions, just your average case studies. Lots of graphs...   Answer Question