Boston Consulting Group Management Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Management Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 1, 2017

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied the ADC, and got the 1st round case interview. The interviewers and HR were very friendly. However, since I did not prepare well and was very nervous, so I did not get the 2nd round. So I have to wait for another two years before applying for another BCG position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through an on-campus recruiting event and was invited for their 1st-round interview a month later. There were 2 45-min interviews consisting of 15-min fit and 30-min case. I got to the 2nd round which had essentially the same format as the first one but the interviews were a lot more intense - longer fit portions and one of my cases was quite unusual.

My advice:
    * Fit - relax, relax, relax (that way you can think on your feet while being bombarded with unexpected questions).
    * Case - focus on the core issue of the case and be very flexible with your framework.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were part of a team and made a long-lasting impact   Answer Question
    • If you were to join BCG, what would be the one thing you would change about the firm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Detroit, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very well organized. It is exactly what you would expect from a top 3 consulting firm. The first interview consists of 2 fit/case studies, and the second consisted of 1 fit/case and 1 fit/written case. My one suggestion is to watch your time on the fit portion because they will not interrupt you and it can bleed into your case time!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to tell someone something they didn't want to hear.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

2nd round interviews process
    Very nice and friendly people, including coordinator and consultant inteviewing
    1. round interview 2 straighforward cases, behavioral questions
    2. 2 more lengthy cases and strong effort to get to know me
    Cases involved basic calculations 1) about the airline industry 2) about the pharmaceutical retail industry

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I accepted an offer with another firm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New Haven, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

After resume drop and an in-person alumni meeting, I was given an interview slot about a few weeks afterward. The interview was two separate back to back thirty+ minute interviews, each with a case and behavioral questions. There were two separate interviewers with different roles in the company.

Interview Questions

• Case questions to assess consulting/business skill set   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

BCG Contacted me about my interest in working for them.. Had an initial phone screen which went on very well. The first round was very theoretical cases about retail industry and O&G industry.

I have over 13 years in O&G / Power areas and was really only interested in Energy industry consulting.

The retail cases was a theoretical one which I didn't too well. The O&G case I did well... I moved to the next round.

In the 2nd round all cases involved all cases not connected to Energy Industry. I thought I did ok on them but got feedback that I needed to structure cases better and be able to assimilate data on the fly.

The feedback sounded too theoretical for me..

Since I like the energy industry, I have since realigned my search to mainly focus on Energy Industry consulting or other firms in Energy Industry. I see myself in the medium term taking a leadership role in Energy Industry and I feel that broadening out my career with Mgmt consulting (Mck, BCG, Bain, Booz) will thin me out rather than focus me into energy.

I think the hiring practices of the typical mgmt consulting companies is focused on hiring fresh starry eyed MBAs rather than experienced hands.

Smart people will succeed anywhere though. The selective companies have more smart people than most other companies...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Detroit, MI) in July 2010.

Interview

Did not feel as if they wanted to hire me. They made me wait 30 minutes after the scheduled time to for the interview. There was no reason for the delay and it seemed I was a distraction to their day. Not a great feeling when you were excited abou the role.

Interview Questions

Did not feel like it was a fit for me.

Management Consultant Interview

Interview

It was a fair process. The employees are quite helpful throughout the whole process. Once I got shortlisted, a couple of current BCG employees were assigned to help me prepare for the phone interview (initially) then for the in person case interviews.

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Total six interviews: three rounds involving two 45min interviews at each subsequent round. Each interview comprises 10-15 mins fit questions followed by a case, followed by an opportunity to ask questions of your interviewer.
    TIP: Be prepared in advance. It is typical for you to have your interview the day after being phoned so there will be no time to prepare once you are offered an interview.

Interview Questions

• Lots of superlative style questions:
      Tell me about a single event at [x company] that defines your experience there?
      What was the best thing you did at [x company]?
      What do you think will be the biggest change transitioning from [current environment] to ours?
      Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

It's all case interviews but they are a lot different than the practice cases. Also, they are a mix of interviewer led and candidate led, so it's tough to strike a balance.

Interview Questions

• They had a case with exhibits. The case itself wasn't hard but it's hard to present all the info linearly.   Answer Question