Boston Consulting Group Management Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Management Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 1, 2017

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Detroit, MI) in July 2010.

Interview

Did not feel as if they wanted to hire me. They made me wait 30 minutes after the scheduled time to for the interview. There was no reason for the delay and it seemed I was a distraction to their day. Not a great feeling when you were excited abou the role.

Interview Questions

Did not feel like it was a fit for me.

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in November 2009.

Interview

1st round: 1 personality interview and 1 scenario based interview. Cantonese, English and Mandarin was used.
    2nd round: 2 case studies, 1:1 for two rounds. English and Mandarin. Focused on businesses in fast growing industries and developing countries.

Interview Questions

• (Given a business case) Among the many suggestions of boosting the company growth you have, what would be your considerations in selecting those options and how would you assess the feasibility of those plans?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Houston, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

BCG Contacted me about my interest in working for them.. Had an initial phone screen which went on very well. The first round was very theoretical cases about retail industry and O&G industry.

I have over 13 years in O&G / Power areas and was really only interested in Energy industry consulting.

The retail cases was a theoretical one which I didn't too well. The O&G case I did well... I moved to the next round.

In the 2nd round all cases involved all cases not connected to Energy Industry. I thought I did ok on them but got feedback that I needed to structure cases better and be able to assimilate data on the fly.

The feedback sounded too theoretical for me..

Since I like the energy industry, I have since realigned my search to mainly focus on Energy Industry consulting or other firms in Energy Industry. I see myself in the medium term taking a leadership role in Energy Industry and I feel that broadening out my career with Mgmt consulting (Mck, BCG, Bain, Booz) will thin me out rather than focus me into energy.

I think the hiring practices of the typical mgmt consulting companies is focused on hiring fresh starry eyed MBAs rather than experienced hands.

Smart people will succeed anywhere though. The selective companies have more smart people than most other companies...

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in August 2009.

Interview

Very transparent, several interviews and an IQ test. Interviews spread over 2days. Interviews split in 2 parts: questions about yourself (weakness, success, team player, specific CV items - basic story telling)
    and case studies. More colorful and interesting than standard cases and other competitors. One interviewer liked giving strict deadlines for answers ("you have 30 sec to give me your recommendations" etc.)

Interview Questions

• I see you have been successful on many levels. In what moment or event did you fall short? Why and what would you try to do differently?   Answer Question
    • What are the three things that you would want a co-worker to know about you before working with you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

2nd round interviews process
    Very nice and friendly people, including coordinator and consultant inteviewing
    1. round interview 2 straighforward cases, behavioral questions
    2. 2 more lengthy cases and strong effort to get to know me
    Cases involved basic calculations 1) about the airline industry 2) about the pharmaceutical retail industry

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I accepted an offer with another firm

Management Consultant Interview

Interview

It was a fair process. The employees are quite helpful throughout the whole process. Once I got shortlisted, a couple of current BCG employees were assigned to help me prepare for the phone interview (initially) then for the in person case interviews.

Management Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in February 2011.

Interview

The interview was ok but unfortunately I was severely disadvantaged due to my engineering background and hence my lack of fluidity in business terms and concepts. It surprises me that BCG is trying to recruit engineers promising to transform them into business consultants but are unable to tailor the interview to fit the engineers analytical skill set . I recommend that if you are an engineer with management consultancy aspirations that you become extremely fluid in business before you apply.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through an on-campus recruiting event and was invited for their 1st-round interview a month later. There were 2 45-min interviews consisting of 15-min fit and 30-min case. I got to the 2nd round which had essentially the same format as the first one but the interviews were a lot more intense - longer fit portions and one of my cases was quite unusual.

My advice:
    * Fit - relax, relax, relax (that way you can think on your feet while being bombarded with unexpected questions).
    * Case - focus on the core issue of the case and be very flexible with your framework.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were part of a team and made a long-lasting impact   Answer Question
    • If you were to join BCG, what would be the one thing you would change about the firm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Detroit, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very well organized. It is exactly what you would expect from a top 3 consulting firm. The first interview consists of 2 fit/case studies, and the second consisted of 1 fit/case and 1 fit/written case. My one suggestion is to watch your time on the fit portion because they will not interrupt you and it can bleed into your case time!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to tell someone something they didn't want to hear.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied the ADC, and got the 1st round case interview. The interviewers and HR were very friendly. However, since I did not prepare well and was very nervous, so I did not get the 2nd round. So I have to wait for another two years before applying for another BCG position.