Boston Consulting Group Senior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Senior Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 1, 2017

4.1

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Brussels (Belgium)) in September 2016.

Interview

Round 0: telephone interview. General questions: why BCG, why management consulting etc.

After that, the case interviews start. I read most of the preparation available across the internet, but all my cases were impossible to prepare for. You will have to be creative to find a useful framework once the problem is presented to you.

Round 1:
A) computer test. Case-like number questions with multiple choice answers (+- 1h)
B) Case interview + general questions with a project leader (+-1h)
Got feedback the next day. Useful stuff to improve for your next round. You are also assigned a "buddy": someone at BCG you can ask any question you'd like but who does not interfere at all with your application procedure. Great system.

Round 2:
A) In basket case with a principal: around 30-40 pages with text, quotes, graphs, numbers etc. to solve 3 case-like questions. You get 2 hours to prepare some slides to answer these questions. This is followed by a 1h interview where you have to explain your reasoning. Also, the same general questions.
B) Case interview + general questions with a principal (+- 1h)
This is where your stamina is tested because it's right after the in basket case

Got feedback after 2 days. Again useful stuff to improve for your last round.

Round 3:
A) Case interview + general questions with a project leader (+- 1h)
B) Case interview + general questions with a sr. partner (+-45 mins)

Got feedback the next day. Did not get an offer but they didn't really explain where I dropped the ball. Sr. partner was 20 minutes late, disinterested from the start and kept using his phone during the interview. Left me with a sour feeling after a generally very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for BCG?
    Why do you want to get into management consulting?
    Why should we hire you?
    Are you applying anywhere else?
    What have you learned at your current job?

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Experienced Hire Interview consisted of two interview days, each one week apart. First round consisted of 2 interviews with Project Leaders with typical competency questions followed by a case . Heard back on the same day, and was invited back to second round. Second round consisted of 3 interviews with Principals and Partners, again leading with competency questions followed by Case.

I was told in the feedback process that evaluation is done in there parts Effectiveness and Impact (E&I – the first bit of the interview – questions on your background and experience, motivation for consulting and competency based questions), the case (C) and Communication and Presence (C&P – your interview style and presence etc.).

Once each round is done, all the interviews from the particular round gather to discuss performance and whether or not to invite you to the next stage. This makes the process very fair and gives you good opportunity to prove your abilities. So if you excel in one interview and really make a strong impression, the interviewer can fight your case during the discussion, increasing your chances of success.

Case interview questions contained three parts. Part 1 - understanding the problem and potential reasons for the problem. This is quite qualitative, and requires basic business judgement. Also the section to form hypothesis, and frameworks. Part 2 - numerical analysis. Specific data is given, and some basic numeric analysis is asked for. Part 3 - solution identification stage, which tends to be a lot of brainstorming to identify problems for the issues from Part1.

For success in the case section key strategies are to (1) Form a structure based on actual case (as opposed to set frameworks (2) Being hypothesis driven to create a framework (3) Trying to have a discussion, i.e. ask interviewers for data, talk through your reasoning and almost treat them like a team member you would work with in an actual job.

Interview Questions

• Round one cases were interviewer led with specific questions. E.g. High Street Store is loosing money. Can you think of the key components of cost in a retail store? You list the costs, and then the interviewer asks another question.

Round two cases we much more Interviewee led. E.g. Chemicals manufacture is loosing money. What should we do? Here a clear structure, hypothesis, issue tree etc. is expected.

The best resource for interview prep are the LOMS recordings from Victor Cheng. All the other books are too complicated and focus too much on frameworks etc. rather the actual skill in understanding what is expected for success.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Ik heb in Amsterdam gesolliciteerd. Er waren twee rondes. De eerste ronde begon met een computertest, waarbij algemene vaardigheden in bedrijfs- en wiskunde getest werden. Daarnaar twee interviews met een half uur persoonlijk gesprek en een half uur case. De interviewers waren enorm vriendelijk en heel goed voorbereid. Ik kreeg alleen maar leuke vragen en kwam goed door de eerste ronde. In de twede ronde waren er twee gesprekken en een written case. De twee gesprekken waren weer een half uur persoonlijk interview en een case. De interviewers waren duidelijk minder voorbereid dan in de eerste ronde en stelden allebei dezelfde generieke vragen. De written case vond ik heel leuk. Je krijgt een dossier volgepropt met data van rond 30 A4 blaadzijden. Je krijgt drie vragen die je gebaseerd op de data in het dossier moet beantwoorden. Je hebt twee uur tijd. Belangrijjke tip: 90% van de data in het dossier is irrelevant. Je moet dus enorm snel filteren, keuzes maken, hypotheses formuleren en deze dan bevestigen met de data waarvoor je hebt gekozen. Verder moet je echt goed voorbereid zijn wat betreft wiskunde omdat je best veel berekeningen moet doen in die korte tijd. Snel en vlekkenloos hoofdrekenen is een must. Verder is het belangrijk dat je drie zwaktes kan opnoemen als ze ernaar vragen.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

The initial application consisted of a CV and cover letter.

A few weeks later I was invited to a first round interview. This consisted of two one-on-one meetings with Principals, both of which involved around 15 minutes of 'fit' questions and then a 20 minute case. There was also a maths test - the problems weren't particularly difficult, but there was a lot of time pressure and negative marking.

The second (and final) round consisted of three interviews with Partners, following a similar format to the first round. The cases were relatively straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a stressful situation.   1 Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The process is very well run and efficient. Interviews take place over three rounds. The first entails a maths test (brush up on elementary physics, business and maths olympiad type problems) and a short case study interview with a few questions based on your CV background. The second round consisted two case study interviews and background/fit questions. There are different interviewers for each case study. All the interviewers and HR staff are extremely polite, generous and helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the third round of interviews. However, after each round, I was provided insights into my interview performance, including my result for the maths test. This information is invaluable and is unique to the care and thought that BCG goes through to choose their Associates. I hope to apply again next year.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when a team you were part of was veering off track and you managed to set it on course again.   1 Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

typical consulting case interview - worth notice that industry experience is irrelevant (at least for Project lead and below positions). 2 rounds, first round 2 principals and second round 2 partners

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Tokyo (Japan)) in August 2014.

Interview

A series of case interview (4) followed by 2 interviews with Partners; in my case due to mid-career hire for a specific practice area.
    Case interviews have the following structure:
    - 10mn to talk about you and why you want to join
    - 40mn case interview (5mn introduction, 5-10mn to prepare, the rest to solve the case)
    - 10mn to ask questions to the interviewer about BCG
    Interviews with partners were not case interviews but were aimed at evaluating industry knowledge and personality.

Interview Questions

• Case interviews changes regularly. Samples can be found on BCG website.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Paris (France)) in July 2016.

Interview

Round 0 (pour les docteurs) : Entretien de fit
    Round 1 : Etude de cas en ligne (45 min sur ordinateur) + Entretien avec étude de cas
    Round 2 : Etude de cas écrite (2h de préparation puis présentation du cas en anglais) + Entretien avec étude de cas
    Round 3 : 2 Entretiens avec étude de cas

Interview Questions

• Pourquoi le conseil en stratégie ? Pourquoi le BCG ? Selon vous, quelles sont les qualités requises pour être "consultant" ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

After being referred by a friend, I was invited to interview about a month later. The first round consisted of two interviews with project leaders, starting with competency based questions and followed by fairly formal and (compared to practice books) quite straightforward cases. The graphs and maths were both fairly simple to interpret and I felt the main point was to show a structure, think out loud and to establish a connection with the interviewer just as much as to crack the case. The second round was quite different, with three interviews with partners, all of which were much less structured. These interviews were to assess your creativity (for example, brainstorming until you ran out of ideas, or following up an apparently ludicrous idea) as well as your ability to structure a case. These also started with competency questions.

Interview Questions

• Standard competency questions in first round.
      Much more open questions in second round.
      Although supposedly interviewee-led, I found the interviewers were helpful and happy to have a discussion rather than leaving you hanging if you got stuck.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews, 1st round: 1 interview and maths test; 2nd Round: 2 interviews; 3rd round: 3 interviews including at least 1 with a partner. Each interview has a fit and case component, and cases generally include graphs that you'll need to analyse. Earlier rounds were generally more concerned with skills, and final round focussed more on fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked in a team/showed leadership. Tell me about a time you failed. Why BCG? Tell me something that's not on your CV.   Answer Question