Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions

3.8

109 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The process is similar to other strategic consultancy firms. First the CV filter stage. Secondly, they invite you to complete a test in their office, which I quite hard. I think that I answered more questions than the average (19/23) but not sure if I had all the answers right. Finally, they invite me for the third phase which consists on two case interviews: the first third was about fit questions regarding your background and your skills at the firm; the second one the case; and finally they give you time to question, I recommend to think these questions before the interview. I successfully passed both interviews and I went into the final phase, which was the same format but in this case the interviewers had a more senior position. Finally, I hadn't got the offer but I can tell that the experience is worth it. All the consultants were friendly, so I recommend to feel relax during the interviews, the cases were easier than what I could find in the Case in Point.

Interview Questions

• 1st case: A company wanted to launch a campaign of points promotion, give your recommendation.
    2nd case: An energy company was suffering losses, determine whats the cause and how can you switch the situation.
    3rd case: determine how many business carriers should the Barcelona-Madrid have.
    4rd case: Similar to the second one, but a manufacturing company.

All the cases had graphs and a lot of data was provided when I asked for them   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Budapest (Hungary)) in February 2016.

Interview

CV screen, online case followed by 2 rounds of case interviews (2 each). The interviewers were friendly and tried to make me feel comfortable. Only had a problem with one of my last-round interviews, where I messed up math (approach, not process), so it made me panic and loose my train of thought. Practice practice practice...

Interview Questions

• Got a very open ended question on how I would use "the internet" in a Pharma sales division.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Two interviews, first round on campus, second round in the San Francisco office. Heard back two days after the first round and the same day of the second round with my offer

First round was fairly straightforward with two cases with two different people and standard fit questions.

Second round was much more difficult with a presentation case where we were given about 50 slides and 45 minutes to make a presentation and then present it to a partner. Felt like I went the complete wrong direction with the answer, but modified my suggestion during the conversation

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New Delhi (India)) in January 2015.

Interview

Interesting and challenging, like any MBB interview. practice cases well, talk about why BCG why not any other consulting firm, what do you bring to the table, some challenging work experiences and how you overcame them

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I found out a few days later that I had an interview and offering the chance for some practice interviews with people from the firm. I conducted 2 practice interviews with different people from the firm. I met a lot of people throughout the whole process

First Round:
    Two 45-minute behavioral/case interviews with consultants from the firm. The cases were pretty different in nature, and you really need to structure your thoughts up-front in order to be successful. The first case had a lot of graphical exhibits from which you needed to do calculations, the second only had 1 exhibit. Make sure you tailor your structure to the problem! For example one of my cases really had to do with costs, and so if I had suggested we look at profitability, that would have been incorrect.

• You get feedback from your interviewers after the first round. Take notes when they call you to chat about this, and make sure that you take the feedback into account when preparing for final round interviews.

Final Round:
    One 45-minute behavioral/case interview, plus one 90-minute written case interview (45 minutes to prepare + 45 minute behavioral/case interview where you present etc.), this time with principals & partners from the firm. The biggest thing here is managing your time and discerning what's relevant information from the slide deck they give you. You are expected to select 4-6 relevant slides to go over with your interviewer, as well as craft an executive summary of your findings to explain your thought process. You also really need to be able to transition to the standard, oral case style after the written case. During the talk with the partner, it turns into more of a standard case, and then the second interview is again an oral case.

• I also really want to stress the importance of networking. I do not believe that I would have gotten the offer without the networking that I had done throughout the whole process. Also, if you don't hear back day-of your decision-round interview, don't despair because there is still a chance that you can get the offer. I heard back 1 week after my final interview.

Interview Questions

• • Name a time when you set a lofty goal for yourself and how you planned for that goal
      • Why consulting
      • Describe a leadership position that you've had or when you've led a team. What was a challenge you encountered during this, and how did you over come it?
      • What are the components of a good team? How do you know when a team is working well together?
      • What is your usual role on a team? How do you contribute?
      • How do you organize yourself and make sure that you are hitting a long-term goal? Describe a time during which you have done this.

Generally, they're trying to get a feel for your personality and if you're going to be a good fit at BCG. Have really good questions prepared, and do your research to figure out what it is they're looking for so that you can say the right things   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

On campus recruiting with an info session, case prep workshop, online application. On-campus first round interview.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I came from a target school. BCG came to campus toward the end of the fall semester and held presentation & coffee chats. Make sure you make an impression at the presentation and get to know the campus recruiting lead (not the recruiter, but the associate/senior associate who actually works as a consultant). Two rounds of interviews: first round is on campus, 2 45-minute case interview (10min fit, 25-30 minute case, 5 q&a); second round is in similar format: 3 45-minute interviews with principals/partners.

Interview Questions

• I've interviewed with all top consulting firms except McK, and BCG cases are much tougher than that of any other firms. BCG cases tend to have a focus on strategy - it is not enough to be able to follow through a framework and do the math correct. For one thing, BCG almost never gives you data right away. If you are asking, what are the customer segments, you better be prepared to give them some ideas as to how you would segment the customer. They also expect you to have some intuitive knowledge about competition and high level strategy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for entry positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received a call to schedule my interview. Interview consisted of two rounds at their offices, each of which was dominated by a case study. One interview was with a partner and one was with a consultant (i.e. post-MBA role). Both were very nice. One of the cases was substantially easier than the other, but that may have been because I got flustered during the first one and messed up.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve the sales of a used automobile dealer?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in July 2011.

Interview

Typical behavior interview first, with going over resume etc. Then the case interview about the luxury automobile industry and how the company should reallocate its assets to match a strategy adopted by their competitors.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were had to confront a supervisor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

First round interview on campus went well, was very professionally done with lots of different staff interviewing many students. 2 45-minute cases.
    Second round interview in the office was a similar 2 interview format. Oddly enough, both cases were the exact same basic question "Should we invest in x?" My interview with the senior partner was very difficult and he often attempted to derail the case by asking irrelevant questions. He was very short and gave the impression that I was wasting my time. When I asked him questions at the end, he refused to answer them or would only answer "I like all my projects. I can't tell you about any specifics" which was bizarre.

It appears that the Internship interviews are mainly just a form of recruiting for full-time positions. Do not go into them expecting to actually receive an offer. Out of 4 other students who interviewed from my college, none were extended offers and all were encouraged to apply for full-time positions.

Interview Questions

• Cases were very open-ended with no previous information. Only, "should we buy x?"   Answer Question