Boston Consulting Group Summer Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 6, 2017

3.8

117 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

Went through on campus recruiting of a top tier university. Submitted resume, cover letter and transcript through their website and campus recruiting website. They invited me to their local office for a mock interview about a week before the real thing. It took them a weekend plus a couple of days to get back to me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked on a team that was functioning well   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Two on campus interviews, two on-site. Both were both behavioral and had cases, and for the cases I think it is most helpful to do practice cases with others as well as read Case in Point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied via my university's recruiting process. It was 2 rounds. In the first round I interviewed with 2 friendly associates. Basic half behavioral and half case structured interviews. I got a call a few days later saying I had made it to the final round. I was put in contact with someone from the office who was extremely friendly and helpful. Final round was a lot more tense with 2 partners.

Interview Questions

• I was asked my biggest failure and what I learned from it.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I found out a few days later that I had an interview and offering the chance for some practice interviews with people from the firm. I conducted 2 practice interviews with different people from the firm. I met a lot of people throughout the whole process

First Round:
    Two 45-minute behavioral/case interviews with consultants from the firm. The cases were pretty different in nature, and you really need to structure your thoughts up-front in order to be successful. The first case had a lot of graphical exhibits from which you needed to do calculations, the second only had 1 exhibit. Make sure you tailor your structure to the problem! For example one of my cases really had to do with costs, and so if I had suggested we look at profitability, that would have been incorrect.

• You get feedback from your interviewers after the first round. Take notes when they call you to chat about this, and make sure that you take the feedback into account when preparing for final round interviews.

Final Round:
    One 45-minute behavioral/case interview, plus one 90-minute written case interview (45 minutes to prepare + 45 minute behavioral/case interview where you present etc.), this time with principals & partners from the firm. The biggest thing here is managing your time and discerning what's relevant information from the slide deck they give you. You are expected to select 4-6 relevant slides to go over with your interviewer, as well as craft an executive summary of your findings to explain your thought process. You also really need to be able to transition to the standard, oral case style after the written case. During the talk with the partner, it turns into more of a standard case, and then the second interview is again an oral case.

• I also really want to stress the importance of networking. I do not believe that I would have gotten the offer without the networking that I had done throughout the whole process. Also, if you don't hear back day-of your decision-round interview, don't despair because there is still a chance that you can get the offer. I heard back 1 week after my final interview.

Interview Questions

• • Name a time when you set a lofty goal for yourself and how you planned for that goal
      • Why consulting
      • Describe a leadership position that you've had or when you've led a team. What was a challenge you encountered during this, and how did you over come it?
      • What are the components of a good team? How do you know when a team is working well together?
      • What is your usual role on a team? How do you contribute?
      • How do you organize yourself and make sure that you are hitting a long-term goal? Describe a time during which you have done this.

Generally, they're trying to get a feel for your personality and if you're going to be a good fit at BCG. Have really good questions prepared, and do your research to figure out what it is they're looking for so that you can say the right things   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Write Cover letter and submit Resume. You are invited to their offices to take the test. Had some travel the first time because their system was not working. I had to come another day.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

Initially took part in on campus networking, then resume drop, then first round interview. Did no extra informationals, but would probably have helped. I did two back to back interviews, each with a behavioral and a case. Cases were certainly tricky; good preparation is essential. I used Case In Point and other resources and they helped a lot. Interviewers were great people, very laid back and made the interview much more easy and less stressful.

Interview Questions

• No incredibly difficult ones. Maybe "tell me about a time you had to sell an idea to a higher level" or influence someone/create buy in - have a good story for those!   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in January 2015.

Interview

First round was OCR, two interview each with 15 minutes of behavioral interview, 30 minute of cases. Straight numbers (though the case background was a little difficult to understand at first).
    Invited to final round the same Friday, one written case, one typical case of same format in the first round. Again straight numbers.
    Regardless of the fact that didn't get an offer, the recruiters and the consultants I met along the way are super friendly. Would apply for full-time

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Back-to-back 45-minute interviews for the first round. Some time was spent on behavioral questions, but the case was clearly the only thing of interest to the interviewers. For the cases, they seemed to want me to go on a very specific route (they had several charts that only made sense if they were presented in a certain order). Because the interviewers offered no direction beyond stating the initial problem, it took some trial and error to get on the right track.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you, as a leader, had to deal with a difficult teammate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through university on-campus recruiting and heard back according to deadlines they had given. Had first round interview at university, after which I was invited to final round interview at office I had preferenced. Second round interviews were much more difficult than first round, but first round was honestly quite easy.

Interview Questions

• Business case concerning placement of specialty audio products in cars   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

You must must must practice case studies with a partner, it's not really enough to just read Case in Point (although it's a good starting point). You can't really be over prepared. Make sure to be organized and logical in your approach.