Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2017

3.8

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

The first step of the Interview process is about one mathematical test and one logical test.
Regarding the first, you can train yourself using internet software as Assessment day (math section). Calculations are quite easy, but you are under time pressure. You have a series of tables and graphs and some questions for each one.
Regarding logical part, you have the so-called "semafori" test. It is very difficult to explain and understand

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Boston Consulting Group

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milan (Italy)

Interview

Three tough written tests (logics, mathematics, business) plus four case interviews with senior consultants plus one motivational interview with the HR. The process was tough and selective but people were absolutely super nice and put me in the condition to do my best. The whole process lasted more or less one month and a half.

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in April 2015.

Interview

The entire process took a bit long because I am currently working in a different country than the office I applied at. For the internship I went through 1 interview + 1 computer based test on the first round, 2 interviews on the second round and 3 interviews on the third round. Most of the interviews were standard BCG: 15 minutes fit, 30 minutes case, 15 minutes my questions.

During the first stage, a Principal of the firm was in London (I currently live in the UK) to do some business for the firm and gave me the first round interview, together with the problem solving test on the computer. I found the problem solving test as difficult as McKinsey PST: while you do have access to a calculator in this case, you also have 25% less time to go through the same amount of questions, and on top of that questions required you to navigate through multiple exhibits at the same time, not just the last one.

During the second stage, the HR agreed to wait until I was in my own country and had the second round directly in the office. Alternative would have been to have a conference call, but I preferred to be there in person. 2 interviews this time, standard format.

By the time I got to the third stage, I was back in the UK for work. This time the company wanted definitely to have me back in the office to meet the partners, therefore flew me in on the thursday to have the interview on the friday. First and third interview were again standard. During the second interview (with a senior partner & managing director) my interviewer wanted to make sure that given my background (engineering + phd in engineering) I really wanted to work in consulting. So basically he questioned me for 40 minutes on consulting, my motivation to do it, how do I understand the industry, what are the success factors in consulting (as an individual and as a firm), who are the main competitors, what are the challenges and the threats for BCG, what are the differences of consulting in the rest of the world and in the country where I applied. All of this was done in a skeptical and not friendly way, but I suspect he was grilling me to do some kind of stress testing and see if I could keep my cool with a difficult client.

HR was extremely supportive throughout the process, and every interviewer I met was very polite, interested in me and pleasant to have a conversation with. Excellent experience.

Interview Questions

• 1.Case questions
      2.Leadership fit question
      3.Achievement fit question (tell me of the achievement you are most proud of)
      4.Why consulting
      5.Why BCG
      6.Teamwork fit question
      7.Tell me about yourself and why the career change
      8.Why should I hire you
      9.See above for specific questions on consulting
      Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process consists of two days. The first day had a written assessment test and two 1-on-1 case interviews; the athmosphere was friendly and the questions fair. The interviewers guide you through the case and challenge your thinking process.

If you are successful, you get invited for a final day. The second day consisted of 4 case interviews and a behavioral role play. Afterwards, the interviewers discuss and communicate decisions in person.

Interview Questions

• How do you assess whether a pharmaceutical company should offer a vaccine for a disease for which they currently sell medication?   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Amsterdam (Netherlands)).

Interview

Pretty similar to what I think that you can expect from a consultancy interview first round interview. I had an online case where i needed to answer a certain amount of questions in a set period of time. After that I needed to complete 2 case studies. There was also a personal interview section involved before the case studies.

Interview Questions

• How does your behavior in a group affect the behavior of other people in the group?   Answer Question

Visiting Associate Interview

Application

I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group in November 2016.

Interview

Nach einem Workshop bei der BCG konnte ich mich direkt auf das Praktikum bewerben. Die Atmosphäre war sehr freundlich, Lebenslauffragen waren die üblichen. Computertest ist machbar, wenn man vorher übt. Leider scheiterte ich an einem der Cases, der sehr rechenintensiv war. Ich bekam viel zu viel Informationen und hatte Probleme, die notwendigen informationen zu identifizieren. Der ganze Prozess war aber top organisiert.

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Paris (France)) in December 2016.

Interview

1ère étape: étude de cas informatique. Très calculatoire et rapide.
    2è étape: 2 entretiens de 45min avec des consultants (fit et étude de cas)
    3è étape: idem (refusé à la 2è étape)

Les questions d'entretien sont des questions assez classiques.
    Les cas proposés étaient des cas où les frameworks habituels ne s'appliquaient pas, assez originaux. Issus des expériences personnelles des consultants.

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in November 2016.

Interview

Went through three rounds of case interviews, including an online case test in the first round and another with a brainteaser question thrown in. Final round was two back to back partner case interviews (one classic case and one on analyzing a graph). It was challenging but overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting?
      Why BCG?
      1 Answer

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in January 2016.

Interview

First an online test for about 40 minutes which was very very though. I think all of us doing it more or less failed it. Right after it I had my first case interview. Next round was an other case interview with PL/Principal and final round included 2 partner interviews. During the interviews there was very little chatting, more or less straight to the case.

Interview Questions

• Cases varied a lot, one was an odd one brainstorming where you weren't allowed to take some time to make notes or structure it. I was drwan a graph and needed to explain it by talking through a possible business model and competitive landscape. (Partner interview)   1 Answer

Negotiation

NA

Visiting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Düsseldorf (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Düsseldorf (Germany)) in July 2016.

Interview

Sehr gute Organisation und schnelle Einladung zu den Gesprächen.
    Ein Gespräch war sehr positiv verlaufen, im anderen war der Case für mich in der Kürze der Zeit nicht greifbar. Man darf hier nicht zu kompliziert denken - die Cases sind recht kurz gehalten (15 bis 20 Minuten). Das sollte man auch bei der Vorbereitung berücksichtigen, wenn man sich Frameworks zurechtlegt.

Interview Questions

Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Tell me something about yourself
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Milan (Italy) Business cases
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview 1.Case questions 2.Leadership fit question 3.Achievement fit question (tell me of the achievement you are most proud of) 4.Why consulting 5.Why BCG 6.Teamwork fit question 7.Tell me about yourself and why the career change 8.Why should I hire you 9.See above for specific questions on consulting
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Munich, Bayern (Germany) How do you assess whether a pharmaceutical company should offer a vaccine for a disease for which they currently sell medication?
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Amsterdam (Netherlands) How does your behavior in a group affect the behavior of other people in the group?
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Wann haben sie das letzte mal Probleme gelöst?
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Paris (France) Parlez-moi de vous Pourquoi êtes-vous ici?
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden) Why consulting? Why BCG? We have already seen your CV, so tell me about yourself - who are you beyond what we already know?
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden) Cases varied a lot, one was an odd one brainstorming where you weren't allowed to take some time to make notes or structure it. I was drwan a graph and needed to explain it by talking through a possible business model and competitive landscape. (Partner interview)
Boston Consulting Group Visiting Associate Interview Düsseldorf (Germany) Welches Feedback hat Sie wirklich weitergebracht?