Bottomline Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 5, 2018

2.9

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Burlington, VT) in April 2015.

Interview

A pretty simple question and answer session. Questions about a range of technical and personality/vocational questions. Nothing too complicated as a first interview, later interviews were more question and answer, some about knowledge, more about cultural fit with the company and plenty of space for questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I started interviewing for this job in spring 2013. There were two phone interviews, one of which was standard behavioral stuff and another of which was a getting-to-know-you interview with some questions about my skillset/experience and some information about the company. Then there was an in-person interview, which consisted of talking to two or three people. Most of it was the standard "talk about a time you've had difficulty working on a team" sort of questions, but there was one example business case where I was expected to look at a paragraph-long description of a business problem and talk at a high level about how I would design the solution and associated architecture.

It was pretty obvious from both the phone interview and the in person interview that this is a high-pressure work environment. I was specifically told that 45-50 hours per week or more were expected, and there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on being aggressive and moving up through the company. I suspected that there's a work-life balance problem here, and reading other reviews on Glassdoor confirmed that.

The phone interviews took about two-three weeks from first contact to finish, and the in person interview was the week after that. I got an offer just a few days after my in person interview. It was hilariously low - just over half of what I'd been offered for a similar position, and at least one third below the average market rate in the area.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, just be prepared to think at a high level about how you would design an app to a customer's specifications given varying requirements.   Answer Question

The offer was hilariously low, the work doesn't seem terribly exciting, the business seems like it is extremely high pressure with a bad work-life balance. There is nothing about this company that would be attractive to anyone with a solid CS education.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in March 2013.

Interview

A recruiter called me about 2 weeks after I applied online via the Bottomline website. He quickly set up a phone interview a few days later after gauging interest in the position.

The current hiring manger was very professional and answered all my questions as well as giving a great overview of the product and what to expect out of me. The biggest surprise was that I was expected to regularly put in overtime and had to work long enough "to get the work done". I believe at one point engineers were putting in around 60 hours a week just to stay afloat.

After the phone interview I was scheduled a few days later with the group which was based in another location. The interview was very pleasant and the questions they asked pertaining to my knowledge and the product was asked and answered effectively.

A week later I was scheduled to meet with management where I met with a completely different hiring manager that apparently been moved from another group. He asked me lots of technical questions pertaining to by skills and a lot of "what-if" scenarios. I also met with the manager from the phone interview as well as his manager who asked my why I left my previous employers and my reasoning for joining the company.

I was offered a job offer a few days later with to my surprise a base salary which was much lower than the industry standard for my position in the geographic area. I set up an appointment to negotiate a salary but was forgotten by the recruiter only to have to set up another one later on in the day. He told me he would probably not be able get me any more money and told me that I could make up for it with quarterly bonuses I "might" be able to get but were not guaranteed. He also asked me if I was being contacted by any other companies which I told him I was and he began telling me all the bad things about the company which I found very unprofessional.

The recruiter went to check with the new hiring manager for a salary increase and called later in the afternoon but the increase was still not at the low end of the salary spectrum I would have accepted and not up to media industry value for my position.

So to sum up my overall experience, the people seem nice to work with there and the building is nice but be prepared for a much lower salary offer than industry standard and be prepared to put in mandatory overtime and being on call after hours.

Interview Questions

• You do know this is not a 9-5 job? You will be expected to put in overtime and be on call after hours until "the work is done".   Answer Question

The base salary offered was well below what my knowledge, skills and years of experience were worth. This included "mandatory" overtime and on call hours which I was forewarned about during the interview process.

Software Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Englewood Cliffs, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Initial HR call. Their HR location is in NH. Then i scheduled for 30 min video call with VP of new jersey location. Then after, 3 hours of onsite interview with 5-6 people. Mostly interview on technical side and some HR kind of question.

Interview Questions

• Linux: Top, search string in file.
      Java:Examples of interface.
      Network:TCP/IP , http, https
      SQL: joints queries. Make sure that you are good in this. I think that i made mistakes in this.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Very easy-going and laid back. A lot of opportunity to expand on experience and skills and even personal stories contributing to the role. Interviewer was respectful and encouraging. Left a very positive impression of the company culture. I am excited at the prospect of working at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a surprisingly specific question about one of my projects.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in June 2015.

Interview

They interviewed me for about half an hour. It was a good interview, with some challenging yet easily answered questions. After the interview I was given some contact information and also gave them my references.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in June 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with multiple different team managers to decide where I could be of the best help and could gain the most from the experience. This gave me a stronger insight into the company as well, so I could really confirm that Bottomline was were I would be best off.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

Was not ready for the internship experience as a college freshman. First off, interviewed with the finance department, and then interviewed with the operations department. Was pretty lost when going into the operations interview. However, all of the interviewers were very nice people and the facility was great.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in February 2010.

Interview

I applied for a position posted on their web site. I was contacted shortly thereafter by a person who indentified himself as the hiring manager. He had me on speakerphone and didn't tell me this until others on the phone started asking me technical questions that were very specific to the position. Apparently, I did well enough to be scheduled to come in person for an in-person group interview. I arrived for the interview to find that the manager I spoke with about one week prior was "no longer with the company." I later learned that he had been terminated along with several others whom I had spoken with on the phone. Needless to say, I wasted a day off to interview at this company. I was offered a job, but declined. When I declined, I was contacted and questioned why I declined, and I calmly explained that I did not think the environment was a good fit for me. I was spoken to in a rude and unprofessional manner and was essentially "grilled" for not taking the position. I cannot speak to other positions or anything other than my experience with this company, but any time I see a job posted from them; I pass.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what brought you to our web site?   1 Answer

Half the group I was to work with including the manager were terminated between the time I had a phone interview and the time I came in person. There seemed to be chaos in general and no sense of order. The risk seemed substantial and once I was nearly shouted at for declining the position, it validated my decision.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (New York, NY).

Interview

Below were the interview process.

First HR called and understood my interest and set up the following rounds of interviews.

1 Brief Intro, more questions about previous projects, experiences and roles played with a senior guy.
    2 Telephonic Java
    3 Telephonic Database
    4 Telephonic Java J2EE, coding and analyzing existing code

Post that face to face interview, with one round of hands on Java, second round of sql hands on. Followed by two attribute rounds, one face to face and another, video call.

Challenging questions asked.