Bottomline Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 2, 2017

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (New York, NY).

Interview

Below were the interview process.

First HR called and understood my interest and set up the following rounds of interviews.

1 Brief Intro, more questions about previous projects, experiences and roles played with a senior guy.
    2 Telephonic Java
    3 Telephonic Database
    4 Telephonic Java J2EE, coding and analyzing existing code

Post that face to face interview, with one round of hands on Java, second round of sql hands on. Followed by two attribute rounds, one face to face and another, video call.

Challenging questions asked.

Client Services Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

Multiple 1 on 1 interviews with the management team. Each initial conversation was positive and then was interviewed by someone in the sales group even though this was not a sales position. That final conversation/interview was very adversarial and focused on how to handle sales engagements. It was not clear why the interview process went in this direction and the resulted in confusion around the role the company was trying to fill.

Interview Questions

• Respond to a particular situation within a sales opportunity and how you would respond in a sales negotiation.   1 Answer

IM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in May 2013.

Interview

Met with numerous managers in multiple product lines, and had 4 offers of my choice. I chose wrong. Guess it was luck of the draw. Interviews were positive, and in the end, I offered substantial value, and was offered a position

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH).

Interview

Wasn't actively looking, but I received a call from a Recruiter who was very professional and presented me with the opportunity. At first I was hesitant, but ended up interviewing. The whole process only took about two weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next position? How would your manager describe you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated 3 weeks of vacation, and the salary was market value for my abilities.

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Reading, England (UK)).

Interview

Phone call from agency, first & second interviews. Psychometric test and very attitude focused. Nice interviewer but really tough with lots of unorthodox questions. Put me at ease and was quite funny and friendly!.

Negotiation

Not needed - was offered what I asked for

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I started interviewing for this job in spring 2013. There were two phone interviews, one of which was standard behavioral stuff and another of which was a getting-to-know-you interview with some questions about my skillset/experience and some information about the company. Then there was an in-person interview, which consisted of talking to two or three people. Most of it was the standard "talk about a time you've had difficulty working on a team" sort of questions, but there was one example business case where I was expected to look at a paragraph-long description of a business problem and talk at a high level about how I would design the solution and associated architecture.

It was pretty obvious from both the phone interview and the in person interview that this is a high-pressure work environment. I was specifically told that 45-50 hours per week or more were expected, and there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on being aggressive and moving up through the company. I suspected that there's a work-life balance problem here, and reading other reviews on Glassdoor confirmed that.

The phone interviews took about two-three weeks from first contact to finish, and the in person interview was the week after that. I got an offer just a few days after my in person interview. It was hilariously low - just over half of what I'd been offered for a similar position, and at least one third below the average market rate in the area.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, just be prepared to think at a high level about how you would design an app to a customer's specifications given varying requirements.   Answer Question

The offer was hilariously low, the work doesn't seem terribly exciting, the business seems like it is extremely high pressure with a bad work-life balance. There is nothing about this company that would be attractive to anyone with a solid CS education.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in September 2011.

Interview

Disjointed, confusing, poor communication, strange telephone calls and messages. Felt like I was interviewing for CIA! I struggled to believe that the person on the other end of the phone was an SVP. Very poor language skills and interview technique.

I needed a period of physiological counselling after going through the process.

QA Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in December 2010.

Interview

I interviewed for the position of "QA Manager." Interviewed with the Director of QA and two product managers. All three of these interviews were pretty tough interviews. I was hit with quite a few tough questions, many centering around my abilities as a project manager. One interviewer asked me many questions about how I would estimate the size of a QA team needed for various projects. In my previous positions as a manager, I was given a certain size staff & simply told to get the software tested cleanly... Another interviewers put me on the spot about my resume; mentioning things the various interviewer didn't like about my resume. It was a very interesting job & I'm sure that I could have performed it really well.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate how many QA resources are needed for any given project?   Answer Question

Portsmouth is too far from my home & working remotely was not an option for the hiring manager.

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in August 2010.

Interview

Applied directly thru the company. got a call back with a phone technical interview. Then they asked me to go in for a face to face interview. Met with 6 people and 3 of them did a technical interview with lots of questions. After a week they asked me in again and did 2 more technical interviews!!!!

Interview Questions

• Describe the smallest details about a project I worked on 10 years ago   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Geneva (Switzerland)) in January 2013.

Interview

face to face interview, with the manager and the IT representative.
    Explain why you want to join our company, and then IT question from the IT guy
    Testing the english skills too, then they debriefed all together and made an offer