Bottomline Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bottomline Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2017

2.9

College Hire Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

First interview was a video using WebEx (you still need to dial in with your phone in order to hear each other, WebEx just provides video image). First interview was with 2 employees that went to the same college as me, they were not working in the same program that I applied to and were not HR people either, just alumni of the same school. They referred me to a staff accounting position instead of the recent graduate training program, at which point 2 accountants did another 1st-round phone interview with me. This second interview lasted 16 minutes and I'm pretty sure I asked them more questions than they asked me. They said they were interviewing a lot of people for the position and wanted to interview me as soon as possible, but I did not think that meant they would ask me basically the same questions I had been asked in the previous interview, it's like they didn't look at any notes from the last person.

Interview Questions

• What is something you like about your most recent job?   Answer Question
    • What is something you dislike about your most recent job?   Answer Question
    • Why did you pick your college and your major? (I don't see why this is relevant, I picked my college because I was 17 years old and wanted to get away from my parents, not because 5 years into the future I knew I wanted to apply to Bottomline)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the hardest decision you have had to make in the last couple of years.   Answer Question
    • What do you like to do in your spare time?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Reading, England (UK)) in October 2012.

Interview

Call from an agent and directly invited to face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked company principles which is on their web site and I read before I went to interview.   1 Answer

Vendor Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH).

Interview

The interview process for the Vendor Advocate position went well. It was held in a comfortable meeting room and the sales staff were great. After meeting with three people from the sales team, I was asked if I would be interested in learning more about a management position in South Portland, Maine. I was happy to hear about the position and since it seemed interesting, I asked to learn more. I specifically asked if learning more about this management position would prevent me from moving forward with the Vendor Advocate position and I was told "No" and also "They're always hiring". I was given the understanding that the Vendor Advocate position was a go, but they wanted to see about the other position as well. I decided to take an interview the next week in South Portland and I met with 3 more people and spoke with one on the phone. At this point, I was asked to meet again in Portsmouth, NH two days later and I was happy to do so. On the following Tuesday, I was told that I would be hired for neither position because the Vendor Advocate position had since been filled. If I hadn't listened to the manager who asked me to interview in South Portland, I would have had an offer that day for the Vendor Advocate position.

I would say "Thanks for nothing", but I am actually quite thankful that I didn't end up at this company. Take a good look at the reviews that others have left and head for the hills. I met with 10 people total over the course of 3 rounds of 1:1 interviews and no one seemed to have any idea what was going on. Ten 30 minute interviews for a job that pays $35-40k seems a bit much as well. The original recruiter who reached out to me even quit through this process. Seems like monkey business to me.

Director of Enterprise Applications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in March 2016.

Interview

After a brief call with the in-house recruiter, a call with the hiring manager was scheduled. This call lasted an hour and was pretty terrible. She seemed very unengaged and distracted, and could not answer basic questions about the technology her department currently builds and maintains, saying at one point, "I actually don't even know, and that's bad." She asked only very standard questions.

I was not expecting an in-person interview after this call, based on how uninterested she seemed in me. However, about a week later the in-house recruiter emailed to schedule an on-site interview.

The in person interview was just one hour long, again with the hiring manager. She again only asked very few questions, and nothing very probing or difficult. I think I showed a mastery of the unique skills required for the role, and presented myself very well. At the end of the interview, I was told that next steps would be to schedule a Skype meeting with her peer in India. At one point she said that she was looking for someone who would make her look good, and seemed to idolize the senior management of the company, who reside on a segregated top floor of the building. She mentioned that she had interviewed at least 70 people in person for this specific role. Seriously, 70. To me, that was a red flag indicating that she has no idea what she's looking for or how to recognize a good fit, and her poor interviewing ability was also a concern. Unsurprisingly, I became the 71st person to receive a "we're moving forward with other candidates" email a few days later. Ultimately, I couldn't help but feel that my time had been wasted.

Developer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

Applied at a job fair. Vincent took my CV, then we talked casually about my projects and skills for about 15 minutes. Very pleasant conversation, didn't feel like an interview. 3 weeks later, I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you sort an array ? (describe a sorting algorithm)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies.

Interview

I was selected in the first round of on-campus interviews and was called for a half hour interview in their office. The person in-charge was very helpful in helping me figure out where my interests lied. Although it was meant to be a half hour interview, I had multiple interviews with people from different departments for more than 2 hours. I was happy with this sudden plan at that moment because it was only in the interest of seeing where I would fit into the company. I was told that I had cleared the round and would be contacted by the HR person. After two weeks, I was asked about my work authorization status (I had already given that information in the application anyway). After another two weeks, I was sent a reject letter.
    I think there is a lot of miscommunication between the HR and hiring departments, which the interviewee should beware. I also felt that you need to be lucky and not really talented, because two of my other friends who have awesome jobs now were not selected in the first round.

Interview Questions

• Only fit based questions. They asked me to give ranks for what I wanted most out of my job, etc.   Answer Question

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Portland, ME

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (South Portland, ME) in August 2015.

Interview

I had a brief phone interview and then a face to face interview. If the face to face interview went well I would advance to a second face to face interview.

I interviewed at the South Portland Office. The manager interviewing me was about my age or possibly younger (I am 25). I thought the interview went well, I had knowledge of some of the systems used. Prior experience in the tech world and leadership roles.

Interview Questions

• Her final question she asked something about if I would be interested in a management role....   1 Answer

Client Services Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in February 2016.

Interview

A two person hiring team came to my college as a part of an on school interviewing process for the college program. The team of two was obviously unprepared. Questions were not well tailored to specific applicants and appeared redundant most of the time. They did not adequately answer several of the questions I had prepared for them. All over, it was a very bad experience. I'm not really sure what the interviewers took away from it. Their questions weren't skill or behavioral based, but more lingered on things like "how do you feel about blank?"

Interview Questions

• My thoughts on horizontal vs vertical structuring and relationships with CEO   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online through school job board and was later invited to have an on-campus interview. I was interviewed by two recent graduates who asked pretty basic and typical interview questions

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottomline Technologies (Portsmouth, NH) in February 2010.

Interview

I applied for a position posted on their web site. I was contacted shortly thereafter by a person who indentified himself as the hiring manager. He had me on speakerphone and didn't tell me this until others on the phone started asking me technical questions that were very specific to the position. Apparently, I did well enough to be scheduled to come in person for an in-person group interview. I arrived for the interview to find that the manager I spoke with about one week prior was "no longer with the company." I later learned that he had been terminated along with several others whom I had spoken with on the phone. Needless to say, I wasted a day off to interview at this company. I was offered a job, but declined. When I declined, I was contacted and questioned why I declined, and I calmly explained that I did not think the environment was a good fit for me. I was spoken to in a rude and unprofessional manner and was essentially "grilled" for not taking the position. I cannot speak to other positions or anything other than my experience with this company, but any time I see a job posted from them; I pass.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what brought you to our web site?   1 Answer

Half the group I was to work with including the manager were terminated between the time I had a phone interview and the time I came in person. There seemed to be chaos in general and no sense of order. The risk seemed substantial and once I was nearly shouted at for declining the position, it validated my decision.