Bowery Residents Committee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 28, 2017

2.5

Residential Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview process consist of one interview with HR and one interview with the program director and four supervisor in a group setting. Afterwards you wait for HR to call you back for fingerprinting and background investigation. The process is very tedious for employment with a non profit screening is on the level of nearly FBI.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with substance abuse people?

A lot of what would you do if questions

Can you work with AVATAR   1 Answer

Case Worker Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee.

Interview

I applied through my graduate program and was placed at a shelter under the BRC web. Then I was called to interview with the Assistant Director and eventuallly the Director and confirmed for the position. My job was through a school program though, so I can only speak for the process of applying for an internship or something of that nature.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working with homeless populations? Would you have issues working with people of any particular background?   Answer Question

Program Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied via on-line. A week later I received a call from a supervisor from a program site. Interviewed with her and the director. Interview was about 20-30minutes. I received another call a week later for a more in depth interview. A week later I was called from HR with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and not a generic version.   1 Answer

Community Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

A month after applying - a brief phone interview followed by an in-person interview with a representative from HR on the 12th floor. Weeks later, an interview with the Assistant Director of the program. This interview was thorough and intense.

Expect 2-3 months to complete hiring process, as BRC will follow up with each reference and almost every detail on your resume. Their HR department is fairly slow at pushing people through the process.

Interview Questions

• Began with why do you want to work here/in this field, followed by a few questions regarding previous work experience, goals, and qualifications. Next was several role-playing/situation/"What would you do.." questions in crisis situations, situations with clients or coworkers. Also questions regarding actual times you've reacted in such situations in previous positions. The initial HR interview asks questions regarding the BRC company as a whole, so do your homework.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Very relaxed. He asked me about my background, to make sure I wasn't a criminal and that i had good intentions. When he told me that I would not be paid I was bummed. But he was a nice guy.

Community Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. They were really curious about my personality and why I was interested in working there despite my previous work experience. So much of the conversation was describing how i would use my transferable skills, my motives, and them describing what the day-to-day looks like and if I was cool with that.

Interview Questions

• What made you want to do this type of work?   1 Answer

Homeless Outreach Interview

Interview

It was a group interview scheduled in the afternoon. It was a two step process, in which i spoke with one of the HR managers and then the Deputy Director.

Interview Questions

• Pretty typical, mostly about your work experience   1 Answer

Accountant- Grants Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online. One week later, received a phone call (phone interview), the next week came in for interview. Was given offer a week after that. Pretty quick process. Not bad

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself in the next five years? What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Case Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee.

Interview

I had two interviews. During that time I submitted all required documents. I ad to assist with verification process. Overall the process was quick and painless.

Interview Questions

• The Interviews were based on my experience, expectation. Both Interviews were positive and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Although I did not receive the Salary that I once made before the economy went down. It was acceptable to me due to the circumstances.

Homeless Outreach Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bowery Residents Committee (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

The first interview was one on one. The second interview consisted of one interviewer and three candidates. It concluded with a ride along where you went out with a team where you learned about the daily duties the job entails.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation that involved a hostile homeless individual?
      What types of services would you offer a homeless individual that is mentally ill and chemically dependent?   Answer Question