Box Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 19, 2017

3.1

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen, manager phone screen, onsite with 4 people (2 managers and 2 reps) and final onsite with sales director with a 30-60-90 day plan presentation. The process flowed smoothly, each stage was done every few days/ week. After the onsite with 4 people I got feedback from the recruiter that they liked me and wanted to move me to the final stage. The final presentation with sales director also went well and when I closed him at the end he said "yes" that I would be a good fit. To my surprise, a few days after I got a decline from the recruiter. I understand that they are interviewing other candidates at the same time and cannot really make a decision until the end, but it would've been nice to avoid the effort and time of the final stage if they had decided on the first onsite that they weren't going to make me an offer. I feel like that could have been decided on before moving me to another round which for other companies is just a formality to meet the sales director. It's alot of work to prepare and take time off when seeking a new job so I just hope they would consider this in the future for other candidates.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

They have very young children interviewing senior developers. Some kids appear to have an overwhelming amount of arrogance coupled with an underwhelming IQ level. I asked one of them for some water and he actually said that there is no bottled water on this floor and we can just get it after the interview (a cup and a water cooler would've have sufficed). That gave me an unsettling idea of what I was dealing with.

The biggest issue I had was with the elevator design question. I actually did very well on the hands on coding exercise. I don't know how I did on the algorithm question. I thought I did well, but that could just be my opinion.
    For the elevator design question my mistake may have been coming up with a very elaborate design. Unfortunately, the youngster interviewing me wanted me to write some very specific code on the whiteboard, possibly some trivial queue processing code. I have more than a decades worth of experience designing scalable and fault tolerant systems but was unable to prove that to him. This person had a very thick accent and communication with him was rather confusing. He said this was an open ended design question, but I am guessing he thought this question had only 1 answer in the form of some simple code on the whiteboard.

I am very glad I didn't get the job (no, not sour grapes). The work culture appeared to have subtle signs of toxicity. From the discussion with one of the developers it appears the codebase is a giant monolithic mess which they are trying to desperately untangle. However, if you are enticed by the unlimited candies, free exotic softdrinks and free food then just practice the answers to these 3 simple questions (they actually can't come up with new questions): elevator design (50 floors 4 elevators), unival tree, in-memory db/cache

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Box.

Interview

Awesome process - recruiter kept you informed of everything and they really make you feel like part of the team the entire time. Multiple phone call interviews and a long video interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes you are able to negotiate

Technical Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The Box hiring team was friendly, open, and thoughtful throughout my interview process. I first connected with them in the phone, where I was able to have a in depth conversation about my goals for recruiting rather than a grilling phone screen. After that, I connected with them to let them know my short deadline, and they were able to get me onsite within two days. Box's office is beautiful and the team was cordial and friendly - a truly bright group of recruiters. During each conversation, I felt like I was able to highlight my accomplishments, and the team helped me understand what they were hoping to accomplish in 2017 to find some alignment. Their recruiting model focuses on engaging partnerships between hiring managers and recruiters, and building up that reputation within the org speaks to their skill and care. There also seems to be a feeling of ownership no matter the "seniority" level of the role. Harry, the Manager of Technical Recruiting easily pointed to some strong examples of junior folks doing some outstanding work that benefitted the whole team, giving me the sense that leadership was "in tune" and appreciative towards all members of the team. When I received the offer, no one was pushy or secretive about the information. Instead, the team was open, warm, and welcoming which made a solid foundation for a conversation in what is often a stressful time for candidates. Overall, an excellent team and excellent experience.

Interview Questions

It wasn't the right time for me to join the team, but I'll be looking out to join them in the future. Strong organization, wonderful transparency from leadership, and an enthusiastic team with a big future ahead of them.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Box.

Interview

The first phone interview was short and straightforward, focusing on past work experience and cultural fit type of questions. The second interview with a seasoned CSM entailed specific questions that ranged from my knowledge/experience with the product itself––to providing an example of an experience with a difficult customer and the process I facilitated in managing the relationship.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you solved a customer problem?   Answer Question

Outbound Business Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Everything was handled with the utmost professionalism and ease. The sales recruiter I worked with was a complete joy throughout the process, incredibly responsive and really took the time to provide much appreciated feedback. The interview process was very thorough and I truly enjoyed my conversations with everyone at Box

Corporate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

1) Recruiter Phone Screen
    2) Phone Interview with Hiring Manager
    3) 2 Hour On-site Interview
    4) Final Interview: 30/60;/60 Sales Plan Review with Sales Director

Standard interview process when it comes to sales roles. Recruiters do a great job in keeping you in the loop and informed of next steps.

Interview Questions

• How do you design a successful outbound campaign?   Answer Question
    • How would you manage a pipeline in order to close ~20 deals per month?   Answer Question
    • How would you sell this product against a free product, such as Microsoft OneDrive?   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Box (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

There was an initial screening with HR to get a feel of whether I'd be the right fit culturally with the company. This was followed by two phone screenings from team members with questions involving my technical background/experience as well as giving me information about the specifics of the position. Then I had an in-person interview/demo at the Box office. This was then followed up with a phone interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn, and was contacted by a recruiter the next day and had a chat with the recruiter. Then had a phone screen interview with an Engineer and solved a problem on CollabEdit.

Next day, I was asked to fly to Box headquarters for a full day interview. All travel expenses were covered by Box.

There was a little scheduling problem for the first interview, but since I had a lot of time in the day, it was ok. Talked to 4 different engineers and solved white board and coding problem on a computer. Had lunch with the hiring manager. The recruiters and the engineers were very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.

I got the offer and after some negotiations, accepted the offer.

Corporate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a couple phone screens then a couple on-sites to meet the team. It was well organized and efficient. I loved the process from speaking to the recruiters to the team, all very smart and talented people.