Box Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Box Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 3, 2017

3.4

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I interviewed at their Redwood City location which is a newer building - modern design architecture, fun stuff on the walls and an open cubicle design. Parking is easy too since the garage is part of the building. Recruiter gave me a tour before starting. They have some nap rooms and some phone booths to make private calls. They are larger then a startup but still at a size where you could probably recognize everyone working there after a few months.

Two coding rounds, one design question, and a two-hour coding exercise. The coding exercise was a nice addition compared to a standard onsite interview since it really gives you a chance to plan out your attack and then write code quickly with an IDE. Plus you don't end up losing your voice from talking non-stop all day.

Each interviewer was professional and I enjoyed each conversation. Great overall experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Box

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had a good interview experience. The interview process was very well laid out.

First the recruiter was reached out and talked about my experience and explained the process - a single phone interview and an onsite at their HQ.

Then, I had a phone interview and then I was flown to their HQ. There I had 4 rounds: 2 (design + coding) rounds, 1 online coding round and 1 coding round with the hiring manager.

The recruiter then followed up with the results within the following week. A day or two for offer negotiations.

Interview Questions

• Coding assignments and design questions. Past projects as well.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

They have very young children interviewing senior developers. Some kids appear to have an overwhelming amount of arrogance coupled with an underwhelming IQ level. I asked one of them for some water and he actually said that there is no bottled water on this floor and we can just get it after the interview (a cup and a water cooler would've have sufficed). That gave me an unsettling idea of what I was dealing with.

The biggest issue I had was with the elevator design question. I actually did very well on the hands on coding exercise. I don't know how I did on the algorithm question. I thought I did well, but that could just be my opinion.
    For the elevator design question my mistake may have been coming up with a very elaborate design. Unfortunately, the youngster interviewing me wanted me to write some very specific code on the whiteboard, possibly some trivial queue processing code. I have more than a decades worth of experience designing scalable and fault tolerant systems but was unable to prove that to him. This person had a very thick accent and communication with him was rather confusing. He said this was an open ended design question, but I am guessing he thought this question had only 1 answer in the form of some simple code on the whiteboard.

I am very glad I didn't get the job (no, not sour grapes). The work culture appeared to have subtle signs of toxicity. From the discussion with one of the developers it appears the codebase is a giant monolithic mess which they are trying to desperately untangle. However, if you are enticed by the unlimited candies, free exotic softdrinks and free food then just practice the answers to these 3 simple questions (they actually can't come up with new questions): elevator design (50 floors 4 elevators), unival tree, in-memory db/cache

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn, and was contacted by a recruiter the next day and had a chat with the recruiter. Then had a phone screen interview with an Engineer and solved a problem on CollabEdit.

Next day, I was asked to fly to Box headquarters for a full day interview. All travel expenses were covered by Box.

There was a little scheduling problem for the first interview, but since I had a lot of time in the day, it was ok. Talked to 4 different engineers and solved white board and coding problem on a computer. Had lunch with the hiring manager. The recruiters and the engineers were very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.

I got the offer and after some negotiations, accepted the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Standard process for silicon valley tech companies: recruiter conversation, technical phone screen, and onsite interviews. Scheduling wasn't as quick as other companies, but the people handling the process were very easy to work with. There were 5 interview modules during the onsite. After that I also got to talk to the hiring manager for the position, one of the founders, the CEO, VP of Engineering. It was very nice to learn the big picture and where the company is headed from those people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Was approached initially by couple of HR folks who were OK if not the greatest to talk to, next followed hiring manager call which was fine who seemed to be a decent guy, then comes the Onsite for a whole day (yeah whole day 9-5 PM ...!!!, i heard they even do couple of insites for few folks!! wow pity them!!) where I had the most unpleasant and disgusting experience interviewing anywhere in my pretty long IT career across the bay area, I'm just happy not to get into this company. Out of all who interviewed me I frankly felt they hired miserable folks who would only obviously prefer working with that kind who suit them I guess, they just really feel they are this one big NASA facility working on technologies no one else in the bay area does!! wake up guys, first learn that we are all human first and then engineers!! They are outright very rude, disrespectful & disgusting!! Dont want to elaborate more, but I would definitely not recommend any sane hard working intellects to this company ever!!

Interview Questions

• python based question for swapping entries based on the modulus of 2 numbers & so on..   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Box (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Quite standard interview process. Got a call from the recruiter to discuss their interest in me for a particular backend role. I decided to proceed further. I was then setup for a 45min phone interview with a senior engineer. The call involved some discussion regarding my background and interests and one sizable coding question. Since there was more time left after that I was asked some more questions regarding concurrency and multi-threading. Got a callback within a couple of days inviting me for the onsite round. The onsite interview was full day starting at 10am and ending around 5pm. Multiple rounds involving coding and design. All went well got an offer in a couple of days. Negotiated and got what I wanted. Overall very smooth process, amazing recruiting team, everything was over in a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions

• Can't discuss specific questions but basically involved concepts related to data structures, algorithms, software design, multi-threading, concurrency etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted initially by a recruiter on LinkedIn. After an initial conversation with the recruiter, I then had a standard phone interview that involved a discussion with a senior engineer and a simple coding question. I used collabedit to code.

After the phone interview, I was invited onsite. Box had an interesting onsite interview process. Rather than conducting a series of whiteboard coding questions using algorithms and data structures, their format was a bit different. I'm not sure if this is standard for all engineering candidates or if this was unique to the team and position I was applying for.

My interviews consisted of:

* A system design question
    * A technical communication session (describe a significant project you worked on and discuss tradeoffs, outcomes, design decisions, etc)
    * A 90 minute coding exercise on my laptop
    * A simulated code review where I audited and reviewed some code written by a junior engineer
    * Lunch with the hiring manager

The sessions are intended to simulate what an engineer might do on a day to day basis at Box.

In my particular case, I had a little bit of trouble with the coding exercise and the system design question. The interviewers liked what they saw in my experience and with what they saw in the other sessions, so I was asked to come back for a second onsite a week later. The second onsite consisted of:

* A whiteboard question
    * A conversation with the VP in charge of the group I was interviewing for
    * A second lunch with the hiring manager

None of the questions involved any of the classic interview questions that I had seen before. The coding exercise wasn't too bad, but I missed a key requirement which ended up making my code verbose and a little too complicated. I ended up re-implementing the code at home after the interview and without the pressure of being in an interview setting, and it was a much easier exercise. My advice for this section is to definitely pay attention to the requirements given to you and not to rush. I was also given a phone number and email address to use if I had questions, so I would also advise to ask questions if there are ever any doubts around what you're building.

Throughout the process, the interviewers were very nice and happy to answer any questions I had about what it was like to work at Box. The conversation with the VP in particular was very good. I felt like I got very sincere and honest answers on all the questions that I had.

The recruiters were also very responsive and very quick to schedule

In the end, I was not extended an offer, but it was a great experience from start to finish. The whole process took about 3 weeks from start to finish.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Box (Redwood City, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

One Telephonic round and 5 onsite interviews.
    I had telephonic round with Engineering Manager with one programming question and discuss about background and my current project information.
    I went onsite after week, where I have 5 back to back interview including one with hiring manager(on lunhc).
    Most of the question focus on designing and code review.
    Overall good experience and focus on practical knowledge instead of programming questions.

Interview Questions

• Design caching system on whiteboard.
      Design inmemorydb with code.
      Background with hiring manager
      Gave me the code to review and fix the code with developer.
      Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Box in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter. I got scheduled for an phone screen. The interviewer was asking totally vague questions which can have multiple answers. Like - What is the basic underlying principle for SSL certificates. I explained the whole process and he expected "Public key cryptography". Didnt really go well with the phone screen and got an email saying the profile didnt match

Interview Questions

• What is the basic underlying principle for SSL certificates   Answer Question