Boy Scouts of America District Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.7

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

comfortable phone interview, very pleasant and then a face to face in office.
Meeting with multiple people in a three step process. The envirornment was exciting and energetic and seemed to be at that level until the discussion of salary and then it became sort of somber and not as much energy, but the promise for quick growth made it more comfortable to discuss.

Interview Questions

• What brings you to the want to work for the Boy Scouts of America?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Boy Scouts of America

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Saint Louis, MO) in August 2016.

Interview

I met with two people for the first interview. Within 2-3 days I had scheduled another day of interviews with the Field Director and Chief Scout Executive. By the end of the week I had an offer. The process was very quick and smooth!

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Memphis, TN).

Interview

Had 4 interviews. Process went quickly. I met with the District Director, Director of Field Service and then the Scout Executive. The interview was delayed a few times, then I was hired on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Resume submission, phone screening, face to face group interview with management and current employees. Few hour process, took about a month to complete entire process from applying to accepting offer

Interview Questions

• How do you handle certain volunteers? How do you reach goals/ Time Management   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

HORRIBLE!! DO NOT INTERVIEW WITH THIS COMPANY.. After four seperate interviews and a background check......only to be told they are going with someone else via US MAIL!!! Spent hours of time on a field interview only to not be given the position. What a waist of time. I believe it is racial discrimination as I am a Black male with a college degree in St.Loui MO.

Interview Questions

• If you had a puzzle name the pieces that would make your ideal job..   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2015.

Interview

I spent almost 3 years trying to get a position as a district executive. The BSA generally hires people before an ad is ever posted online of to their site, so it is key to be proactive. They do a lot of internal hiring and as in most cases now, it is not what you know, it is who you know and who knows you. I applied to a total of 4 different councils before I received an offer. I applied online to three of the councils and nothing came from that. I did receive a phone interview from the Las Vegas council. I decided one day to do some networking and dropped off my resume to a council office and asked the secretary who a point of contact would be. From there I called and spoke with that individual a number of times about a position that they had opening up after about 3 weeks I was informed that they hired someone else from another state to fill the position. From there I did the same thing with another council and after a few emails and a phone call I received an opportunity to interview. A couple of days after the interview I was asked to come in for another interview. That time I meet with 3 senior management professionals and a couple of days later was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• What is the purpose of Scouting? (Know the Scouting mission statement and the Scout Oath and Law)   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent in my resume, and I received a call within two weeks. I was interviewed by a District Executive within the same department I applied to, meet and greet by everyone in the department. They seemd a bit unorganized and had way too many late evening follow-up interviews. Once you meet with the COO and CEO you are most likely hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work within a non-profit organization?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Columbus, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview than an extensive in person interview. Met with potential direct supervisors for an hour to discuss the position and my qualifications. Afterwards I had lunch with the director of the department and we further discussed the position. The overall process took about three hours.

Anonymous Employee in Findlay, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Findlay, OH).

Interview

I interviewed twice with the BSA, Tuscaloosa AL and Findlay OH (my home was in Iowa). If you are on the national waiting list, expect to travel. You may be so lucky as to interview for an opening in your local Council, but if they don't have any and you really want to work for the BSA, plan on relocating.
    The interview is involved but not intense. With both locations, I toured the territory I would be working in, met the Council staff and executives, saw the camps, and met some volunteers. Both locations, as I was travelling, put me up for an overnight stay, and Tuscaloosa picked me up from the airport. Plan on the interview to take at least 4 hours.
    You get the feeling like the council executives really want to get to know you and see whether you will fit in.
    The actual "Interview" is a BSA standardized questionaire that the staff can as a basis for the interview. That part, usually at the end of the tours, took about an hour. Tuscaloosa was more by the book in the interview, Findlay was more casual conversation.

Interview Questions

• "When was a situation where you had to break a rule to get something done?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was hired by Findlay.
    Tuscaloosa ended up hiring a local person, which made me feel like I wasted my time.
    There really wasn't a negotiation. They have a standardized set of salary tables (and some vehicle/gas allowances) that are based on the Council's size and geographical location.

District Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America in January 2015.

Interview

There were two interviews. The first was with general interview questions and the second included more people with more detail about the position. Overall it was a great opportunity to work.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer