Boy Scouts of America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 30, 2017

2.4

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Janesville, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

I emailed the hiring person directly and was interviewed the following week. The interview was professional and cordial and we 'hit it off' almost immediately. I highly support the values of this organization and it is an honor to work with them in a volunteer capacity.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2015.

Interview

I spent almost 3 years trying to get a position as a district executive. The BSA generally hires people before an ad is ever posted online of to their site, so it is key to be proactive. They do a lot of internal hiring and as in most cases now, it is not what you know, it is who you know and who knows you. I applied to a total of 4 different councils before I received an offer. I applied online to three of the councils and nothing came from that. I did receive a phone interview from the Las Vegas council. I decided one day to do some networking and dropped off my resume to a council office and asked the secretary who a point of contact would be. From there I called and spoke with that individual a number of times about a position that they had opening up after about 3 weeks I was informed that they hired someone else from another state to fill the position. From there I did the same thing with another council and after a few emails and a phone call I received an opportunity to interview. A couple of days after the interview I was asked to come in for another interview. That time I meet with 3 senior management professionals and a couple of days later was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• What is the purpose of Scouting? (Know the Scouting mission statement and the Scout Oath and Law)   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

I applied by email, the process took a week. Face-to-face interview, simple questions about resume, previous work experiences, interests. Overall, it is a really easy interview, mention you like working with kids would be helpful. The interview took 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

Took forever. I believe there were 6 separate interviews before I was hired. Very thorough. They call the initial interview "panning for gold" because it really is a cattle call of everybody who has applied. Then they narrow it down. I met with one executive and I passed the test with him. Passed me along to others. I came back to the building 6 separate times. Enjoyed my 5 years with the Boy Scouts. Others went through the same interview process but only lasted a few months.

Interview Questions

• Mine centered on the pay cut I was taking and career change.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent in my resume, and I received a call within two weeks. I was interviewed by a District Executive within the same department I applied to, meet and greet by everyone in the department. They seemd a bit unorganized and had way too many late evening follow-up interviews. Once you meet with the COO and CEO you are most likely hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work within a non-profit organization?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America.

Interview

I found the job opening on the national organization's website from a Google search and got a job description and location. I found the contact information on the local council's website and sent in my resume and cover letter. I was contacted by email for a phone screening about two weeks later, we scheduled a Skype interview a week later, I waited 2 weeks and got a face to face interview, I had a group interview with two managers then another with the executive director, I did a ride along interview on top of my face to face later the same day, and I was offered the job 3 weeks later by phone. The process was slow but professional. I felt that the Chief Opperating Officer wasn't very interested in my responses to the Skype interview as he looked down making notes for most of the time. He also was 10 minutes late for our skype call and showed up with the wrong person's file. After that, I felt professionally treated and fairly informed of what to expect.

Interview Questions

• Are you a competitive, goal-oriented person who works well on a team?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation where you managed volunteers or had to resolve a conflict. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The base salary, bonus structure, and lack of relocation assistance for entry-level positions were non-negotiable. I was allowed to live wherever I wanted as long as it was within my geographic area of responsibility.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was short and quick, very friendly and laid back. It took twenty minutes, and it consisted more of them explaining the different job positions than me talking myself up.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a confrontational situation between you and a co-worker or camper?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Columbus, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview than an extensive in person interview. Met with potential direct supervisors for an hour to discuss the position and my qualifications. Afterwards I had lunch with the director of the department and we further discussed the position. The overall process took about three hours.

Program Administration Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glen Jean, WV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Glen Jean, WV) in February 2015.

Interview

Myself and one other candidate toured the facility and attended a staff meeting. We then took turns interviewing with the Director and Program Director. We then had three separate peer interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Findlay, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boy Scouts of America (Findlay, OH).

Interview

I interviewed twice with the BSA, Tuscaloosa AL and Findlay OH (my home was in Iowa). If you are on the national waiting list, expect to travel. You may be so lucky as to interview for an opening in your local Council, but if they don't have any and you really want to work for the BSA, plan on relocating.
    The interview is involved but not intense. With both locations, I toured the territory I would be working in, met the Council staff and executives, saw the camps, and met some volunteers. Both locations, as I was travelling, put me up for an overnight stay, and Tuscaloosa picked me up from the airport. Plan on the interview to take at least 4 hours.
    You get the feeling like the council executives really want to get to know you and see whether you will fit in.
    The actual "Interview" is a BSA standardized questionaire that the staff can as a basis for the interview. That part, usually at the end of the tours, took about an hour. Tuscaloosa was more by the book in the interview, Findlay was more casual conversation.

Interview Questions

• "When was a situation where you had to break a rule to get something done?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was hired by Findlay.
    Tuscaloosa ended up hiring a local person, which made me feel like I wasted my time.
    There really wasn't a negotiation. They have a standardized set of salary tables (and some vehicle/gas allowances) that are based on the Council's size and geographical location.