Boys Hope Girls Hope Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boys Hope Girls Hope Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boys Hope Girls Hope (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

I was interviewed in New Orleans. There was a preliminarily interview with someone in H.R. that was pretty generic in terms of questioning about relevant job experience, the motivation for working with "at risk youth", and my ability to handle demands of the job. The interviewer then was very professional and cordial but not so much when I finally sat down for an interview with the Executive Director Chuck. Never mind the fact he arrived late for the meeting he seemed too comfortable swearing and at times talking despairingly about graduates of the program. On top of that, Chuck seemed a bit too occupied with questioning whether or not I had the intellectual ability to help the kids with their homework in spite of my work history doing just that and having personally completed master level courses. Then to make it all the more suspicious the current staff told me they rarely had to assist with academics because they had volunteer staff come to help the kids each night. Dialoging with them even further it seemed those in charge were okay with a lack of an emphasis on the faith based component that supposedly apart of their holistic approach to personally devolpment for the kids. Then as they delved into their history they both admitted to having no experience working with the demographic of children the program serves. One AmeriCorps position staff seemed too comfortable with saying equally negative things about the kids as Chuck. I'm wasn't sure what type of individuals they were looking for to serve in these houses after that experience but I'm sure if you're a black male, with years of youth work experience, and take religion seriously you're probably not going to get hired. It seems to be par for the course across the board with the complexion of the staff they desire.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you're able to help with the boy's school work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boys Hope Girls Hope (Irvine, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the Executive Director and Program coordinator. They were easy to speak with, nice and very informative. They shared of their personal experiences being residential counselors previously and they shared different scenarios of issues/routines/planning that would be involved with the job in depth. They told me I would be a great fit but that I would have to complete an online application, pass the background check and meet the girls before I get an official offer to work in the girls home. (Live-In Counselor) They sounded hopeful and excited as I was feeling.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your previous work, why you want to work here and what your future goals are?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boys Hope Girls Hope.

Interview

Interviewed with the program director, once interview was over position was offered on the spot on a conditional basis. Accepted and then references were called and I was background checked. I was also asked to come in to have dinner with the kids and meet them

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boys Hope Girls Hope.

Interview

Saw an ad posting for the position and sent my resume and cover letter to an email listed in the posting. Less than a week later I was contacted for a phone interview by the supervisor for the position I was applying for. The phone interview took place about a week later. I thought the phone interview went well. He asked traditional questions - "name a time when..." At the end I was told I would hear back in the next week or so if I would be moving forward and that I would not hear back if I was not moving forward. However the interviewer told me I could email him with questions if I didn't receive a call. I sent a thank you email later that day. About a week later I hadn't heard anything back, but just to confirm that I was not moving forward, I sent a follow-up email. A week later I sent another. He never responded to any of my emails.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you overcame a challenge with a student.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boys Hope Girls Hope (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

I followed up with an ad on Craigslist for an administrative position. I was contacted the next business day, but was unable to reach my phone so I was left a message. When trying to call back, it went to voicemail 3 times, where it said the voicemail was full.

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boys Hope Girls Hope in July 2014.

Interview

Someone from the National Office reaches out to you for the initial interview. If it goes well, they talk to the affiliate to see if the affiliate is interested in interviewing you. Then, the affiliate interviews you. If it is favorable, you are offered the position. As I was out of state, both interviews were conducted over the phone. The first interview was one on one. The second was supposed to be a Skype interview, but their webcam was broken. The second interview was two staff members and myself. This format may differ depending on circumstances. Both interviews are conducted using a pre-set questionnaire so some repeat questions may arise.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Community Resource Coordinator?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boys Hope Girls Hope (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2013.

Interview

Too Long: 3-4 interviews, each lasting about 40 min. You may have to interview with multiple people at once. The first will be a phone interview. You may also get a chance to meet the children you will be working with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Its hard to negotiate, but a must if you want a decent wage.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boys Hope Girls Hope (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2008.

Interview

had an initial phone screen and was then flown to phoenx about 3 weeks later to meet with the program director and girls who live in the group home. i was offered the position the last day of the home visit.