Boys & Girls Clubs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Boys & Girls Clubs Interview Questions

Updated Jan 3, 2017

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (New York, NY).

Interview

I found the interview process unreasonable. After a phone interview, I was given three days to review a poorly written 20 page document on their strategic plan and then write a 10 minute presentation on my recommendations, and review and provide feedback to their newsletter. The interview consisted of the presentation, an hour or so of behavioral interviewing and then a forty minute writing exercise. I think two of the three (presentation, newsletter, and/or writing sample) would have been a bit extreme, but acceptable. On a good note, it did help me understand that culture at BCGA was not what I was looking for.

Academy Services Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Relatively a long process in relation to the low hours and pay for the position. 2 to 3 days after submitting my CV, I got a call from the company asking for a phone interview. After the phone interview, I had to go in for a test--50 multiple choice questions on literacy (basic reading comprehension, spelling, and grammar) , algebra (basic algebra, would be helpful if you recap some of the very basic formulas) and ability to assist (hypothetical situation questions)--You have to get 85% in each part in order for you to be qualified for the job. If you don't pass, you are automatically disqualified for the position. After passing the test, I went to another location to have an in-person interview. The interviewer briefly explained about the services and duties for the position and went through a set of questions. She read each question and wrote down what I said. I wished there was more natural conversation during this process. The process felt really robotic and felt under pressure because you do all the talking.

Interview Questions

• One student keeps disrupting a group tutoring session. What would be your short and long term solutions for this situation.   Answer Question

Unit Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Boise, ID).

Interview

Had the interview with the director and programs manager. Both were very friendly and engaged in the questioning. Initially they said it was a casual interview, although the 4 pages of questions seemed otherwise. There were personal questions about experience, situational questions, leadership questions and questions about what you would do in the position. We clicked, and although I did not get the job due to giving it to someone internal, I enjoyed the process and they made it much easier.

Club Service Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Miami, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

very flexible, they were open to allowing me to change the original schedule date and were very communicative and open to new possibilities. I was pleased with the transparency of the group, and how open-ended they were about the details and the ins and outs of the role that I had applied to and was interviewing for.

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Atlanta, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online. After 5 weeks contacted via email on Friday at 5pm asked to answer 20 extensive questions and return by Monday at 10am. Completed work and sent in on Sunday. Contacted via email a week later to expect a phone call the next day to schedule a phone interview the next day. Call came in after 5pm, schedule interview. Phone interview was prompt and the HR person was vibrant and upbeat. Only asked on question and then spent 40 mins telling me about the position, company, department etc. Told me I was being recommended for the next round of interviews. It would either be a Skype, phone call or in person (travel would be covered). Highly complimentary about my resume, experience and question submission. Told there was a relocation budget also told that I would be sent the benefits package to review by the end of the week and would also be contact about the schedule for the next round of interviews by the end of the week. I never heard from them by the end of the week. I waited until the following week to send an email requesting an update, no response, one week later I sent in another request for an update and to make sure that I didn't miss anything, no response. That was my last contact. Please note that I did sent a thank yous following each interview. Very disappointed about the way they handle the process. They shouldn't be specific if they aren't going to follow through or they should touch base to let you know if there is a change in the timeline, plan or your candidacy etc.

Interview Questions

• Emailed questions were extensive, challenged and justified. On phone interview one question: Why did you want to work there?   Answer Question

Youth Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Statesville, NC) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy: 3 to 5 broad questions about experience, strengths and weaknesses, etc. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to do an in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was interviewed by two women who took turns asking questions. There were about 10 or 15 questions, all of which were very specific to the job and required an in-depth response. If offered the position, they do a background check and drug screen.

Interview Questions

• Two children begin to fight, one runs out of the room, and another vomits. You're the only adult in the room. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you made an impact on a child's life.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Appleton, WI) in August 2015.

Interview

Initially, there was a brief phone interview.

During the face-to-face interview, details of the job were explained to me more thoroughly, followed by a tour of the facility. Upon returning to the office where we had begun the interview process, I had the opportunity to give more personal background and answer some questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a child who was acting disrespectfully?   1 Answer

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stuart, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Stuart, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online through email by sending in my resume. I was soon after contacted for a phone interview, and then was invited to be interviewed on-site by two women in person. The interviewers were fun and friendly, and at the end I was told I would be contacted within three days with a yes or no.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a child to try a food that they don't like?   Answer Question

Director of National Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Phone interview and then panel interview. It was pretty straight forward, panel shooting questions at you.. A lot of head nodding.. Seems with the organization that it's not as Diversity friendly, as it tries to sell itself.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a situation where you had conflict with another staff member and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Costa Mesa, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Received a call to interview with the CEO of Boys and Girls Club in Costa Mesa, CA. Scheduled interview and attended interview at their site in Costa Mesa. After the interview I submitted an application and never received a follow up. I did not follow up with them since I felt it was not a good fit.