Boys & Girls Clubs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 10, 2017

2.4

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (New York, NY).

Interview

I found the interview process unreasonable. After a phone interview, I was given three days to review a poorly written 20 page document on their strategic plan and then write a 10 minute presentation on my recommendations, and review and provide feedback to their newsletter. The interview consisted of the presentation, an hour or so of behavioral interviewing and then a forty minute writing exercise. I think two of the three (presentation, newsletter, and/or writing sample) would have been a bit extreme, but acceptable. On a good note, it did help me understand that culture at BCGA was not what I was looking for.

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Denver, CO) in August 2011.

Interview

Three day process. Multiple interviews with targeted committees over three days. Also business social on third day with final three applicants. Interviews use Situation or Task Action result format. They describe a situation or task and you tell when you have experienced the example, what you did and the results.

Interview Questions

• When in the past have you submitted a program for grant funding?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had a particular salary in mind when I went. After the process I decided to increase my salary request. They agreed.

Teen Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (San Francisco, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

The Boys and Girls club was the interview to prepare me for all other interviews.

1. I applied for the job using their website (which is almost never updated)
    2. I was scheduled for a phone interview for a position that was lower than I originally applied for. I was never consulted if I wanted the position (I was unemployed, I wanted it).
    3. The first interview was a 45+ minute phone interview asking at least 25 behavioral questions.
    IE "Tell me about a time you made a mistake. Tell me how you handled that mistake. Tell me about a time your supervisor had to discipline you. Tell me about a success story with someone you worked with. Tell me about the hardest decision you had to make..."
    3. I passed the initial screening and was schedule for a group interview at the job location. I was interviewed by 5 males and I was asked additional behavioral questions and odd questions to prove that I could work with under-served teens. "I am going to give you a list of slang words, tell me what they mean..."
    4. I was told to prepare an activity to present to the teens as part of the interview process. Unfortunately, do to scheduling conflicts, I didn't get a chance to present.

The job was working with teens in a dangerous neighborhood (Visitation Valley).

I was declined the next day!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about....(every difficult or successful situation you have ever been involved with during your career)   1 Answer

Teen Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Kings Beach, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was videoed with the current Lead and Club Manager. It was a personal yet professional interview that included an emphasis on expectations as well as inputs that could help improve the current role.

Interview Questions

• What type of program do you feel you would like to introduce with the club that would increase the participation of the enrolled students?   Answer Question

After School Program Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

There were three interviews. The first was a phone interview. The second two were in person interviews. They had me come up with a lesson plan of my preference and then teach it to them as if they were the students. They also asked questions about what experience I had working in youth development and why I wanted to work in youth development in under-served areas.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a lesson plan and teach it to us.   1 Answer

Youth Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Statesville, NC) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy: 3 to 5 broad questions about experience, strengths and weaknesses, etc. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to do an in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was interviewed by two women who took turns asking questions. There were about 10 or 15 questions, all of which were very specific to the job and required an in-depth response. If offered the position, they do a background check and drug screen.

Interview Questions

• Two children begin to fight, one runs out of the room, and another vomits. You're the only adult in the room. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you made an impact on a child's life.   Answer Question

Activity Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted a resume and cover letter online, called back in 2 days. Interview was long, a lot of situational questions, eg. "what would you do if.." It was the director and co director who interviewed me, both were very nice and approachable. Informal setting but still very difficult on the spot questions that caught me off guard, some were difficult because I didn't know their policies on certain issues (such as disciplining) nor could I find any info on them online...

Interview Questions

• What would you do if two children started to physically fight?   Answer Question
    • What king of activities would you plan for the following age groups, K-3, 4-7, 8-12   Answer Question

Interview

I was referred to them by a hiring company and I was interviewed only once. I was interviewed by a panel of 5 people. They had a list of questions and asking one by one. Most of questions were from background knowledge and experience and I did good on that.

Interview Questions

• There was a question asking about what you have done to improve the process in your previous jobs.   Answer Question

I got busy with my college and studying. Plus I didn't have any transportation on that time.

Homework Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Wilmington, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

As a previous student I was hired upon reliability and frequent work while in highschool. I was given the chance to be hired without interview, but as the interview process goes, there are specific character traits that the Boys and Girls clubs requires, and that is of a patient, loving, and caring nature. If you cannot socialize well with young people and do not have self discipline then this is not the job for you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

wages are non-negotiable, you get a flat pay until you prove yourself in this profession. Your salary increases as your experience and efficiency increases.

Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Houston, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

The only advice I could give would be to ensure more complete understanding of the responsibilities involved and the follow up process if those goals are not being met along the way. Lay out how those steps will be implemented as part of a review process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you here? Why did you [leave] your last job?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself. What do you do in your spare time?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I would describe the negotiation process as putting on a 'facade'. Every person wants what they believe they deserve. Meeting people in the middle is difficult when there are so many talented people looking for work. Hiring managers could use a 'salary bracket' and depending on performance, follow up accordingly so employees and managers are encouraged to do their best and have an incentive to choose one job over another. If they believe they have what it takes then they can earn that higher salary (or benefits, ect.) within the allotted amount of time. With the talent pool so large and multitudes of competing interests, including families and children, it is no wonder hiring managers have an incredible depth to traverse and explore.