Boys & Girls Clubs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 6, 2017

2.4

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (New York, NY).

Interview

I found the interview process unreasonable. After a phone interview, I was given three days to review a poorly written 20 page document on their strategic plan and then write a 10 minute presentation on my recommendations, and review and provide feedback to their newsletter. The interview consisted of the presentation, an hour or so of behavioral interviewing and then a forty minute writing exercise. I think two of the three (presentation, newsletter, and/or writing sample) would have been a bit extreme, but acceptable. On a good note, it did help me understand that culture at BCGA was not what I was looking for.

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Denver, CO) in August 2011.

Interview

Three day process. Multiple interviews with targeted committees over three days. Also business social on third day with final three applicants. Interviews use Situation or Task Action result format. They describe a situation or task and you tell when you have experienced the example, what you did and the results.

Interview Questions

• When in the past have you submitted a program for grant funding?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had a particular salary in mind when I went. After the process I decided to increase my salary request. They agreed.

After School Program Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

There were three interviews. The first was a phone interview. The second two were in person interviews. They had me come up with a lesson plan of my preference and then teach it to them as if they were the students. They also asked questions about what experience I had working in youth development and why I wanted to work in youth development in under-served areas.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a lesson plan and teach it to us.   1 Answer

Youth Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Statesville, NC) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy: 3 to 5 broad questions about experience, strengths and weaknesses, etc. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to do an in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was interviewed by two women who took turns asking questions. There were about 10 or 15 questions, all of which were very specific to the job and required an in-depth response. If offered the position, they do a background check and drug screen.

Interview Questions

• Two children begin to fight, one runs out of the room, and another vomits. You're the only adult in the room. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you made an impact on a child's life.   Answer Question

Activity Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted a resume and cover letter online, called back in 2 days. Interview was long, a lot of situational questions, eg. "what would you do if.." It was the director and co director who interviewed me, both were very nice and approachable. Informal setting but still very difficult on the spot questions that caught me off guard, some were difficult because I didn't know their policies on certain issues (such as disciplining) nor could I find any info on them online...

Interview Questions

• What would you do if two children started to physically fight?   Answer Question
    • What king of activities would you plan for the following age groups, K-3, 4-7, 8-12   Answer Question

Digital Connectors Program Instructor Interview

Interview

I was referred to them by a hiring company and I was interviewed only once. I was interviewed by a panel of 5 people. They had a list of questions and asking one by one. Most of questions were from background knowledge and experience and I did good on that.

Interview Questions

• There was a question asking about what you have done to improve the process in your previous jobs.   Answer Question

I got busy with my college and studying. Plus I didn't have any transportation on that time.

Homework Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Wilmington, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

As a previous student I was hired upon reliability and frequent work while in highschool. I was given the chance to be hired without interview, but as the interview process goes, there are specific character traits that the Boys and Girls clubs requires, and that is of a patient, loving, and caring nature. If you cannot socialize well with young people and do not have self discipline then this is not the job for you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

wages are non-negotiable, you get a flat pay until you prove yourself in this profession. Your salary increases as your experience and efficiency increases.

Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Houston, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

The only advice I could give would be to ensure more complete understanding of the responsibilities involved and the follow up process if those goals are not being met along the way. Lay out how those steps will be implemented as part of a review process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you here? Why did you [leave] your last job?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself. What do you do in your spare time?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I would describe the negotiation process as putting on a 'facade'. Every person wants what they believe they deserve. Meeting people in the middle is difficult when there are so many talented people looking for work. Hiring managers could use a 'salary bracket' and depending on performance, follow up accordingly so employees and managers are encouraged to do their best and have an incentive to choose one job over another. If they believe they have what it takes then they can earn that higher salary (or benefits, ect.) within the allotted amount of time. With the talent pool so large and multitudes of competing interests, including families and children, it is no wonder hiring managers have an incredible depth to traverse and explore.

Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs in April 2010.

Interview

Applied online, conducted initial phone screening and had in-person panel interview with hiring manager and two other employees.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to lead but were not given the authority   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint John's, NL (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boys & Girls Clubs (Saint John's, NL (Canada)) in April 2009.

Interview

I received an interview because I have been volunteering at the club all year.
    The interview was more difficult than I expected. There were two supervisors and they taped the answers I gave so they could review them later and I thought that was a great idea.
    They asked me scenerios questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if an irrate parent came in screaming that one of the kids threw a stone at their car.   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a piece of equipment fell on a child in your care?   1 Answer