Bridgewater Associates Developer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2019

To filter interviews, or .
Found 24 of over 629 interviews

Campus Recruiting10%
3.6
HardAverageEasy

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

Took a hacker rank coding challenge. The hacker rank coding challenge is allocated a duration of hours equivalent to 2 weeks but does not necessarily require the whole two weeks to be solved, i.e. can be completed in the less than the completed time.

Interview Questions
  • Typical data structures and algorithms.
    Answer Question

Bridgewater Associates

Application

The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from the company after applying online via Indeed. All the online discussions from past employees noted that the company atmosphere was very 'cult-like', intense and abnormal. All of which were confirmed in my first call with the recruiter when the first sentence out of their mouth asked for permission to record our conversation, as all their conversation at the company were recorded. We then discussed what I'm looking for in a new position, my experience and expected salary. Next step involved an online coding challenge via HackerRank. The challenge instructions noted that you would be given a choice between two difficult problems and you were to attempt only one. You would be allotted a total time of 10 hours! to complete the problem you chose. They expect the challenge to take 'a few hours to complete' but you are also advised to not spend an 'inordinate ' amount of time completing it. I'm not sure how long they expect you to work on the problem, given that they acknowledge that it should take 'a few hours' and time limit is 10 hours long.... Every sensible person completing the challenge would more than likely make use of an IDE to debug and solve the problem. Only copying the solution over to the online IDE when they verified it worked locally. However, the online IDE appears to lock the default imports without allowing you to modify them, thus resulting in me spending 20-30 minutes trying to solve various compilation issues resulting from naming collisions in the default imports and classes I chose to import... Got a 1 sentence response from a recruiter about 1 week later letting me know my skills weren't a match for the position. Advice: This company seems extremely strange and abnormal, I would advise people who don't like to belong to a cult like atmosphere to run....

Interview Questions
  • Given a block of text, output the sentence number and frequency for each word....
5 people found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Bridgewater Associates

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Greenwich, CT) in Dec 2017

Interview

It consisted of a hackerrank, then an over the phone interview where we went over and improved/extended my hackerrank, then the onsite was a personality interview and another technical interview

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Hartford, CT) in Nov 2017

Interview

As said in previous on glassdoor, there was a take home coding challenge which was very simple. Also they recommended to watch the "culture" videos on their website. Then came the phone call with a panel of managers. Now I expected this to be a formal introduction about position and things they are working on. Interview started with discussing the solutions that I provided and thought process on the solution. Questions were not related to solution but why use the language, testing, trade offs. This was okay for the moment but then they started bashing everything I said. Then we moved on to my experience and career goal. The managers were so bad that they started bashing where I come from and if there are no opportunities at my birth place and started laughing about it. Seriously? Then came "culture" part where they asked me how I felt about videos and how I would fit in. As it was too early for me to say how I would fit it, I gave generic answer that I will have to see how things work and adapt accordingly. Straightaway they said you are way confident on your abilities and that is scary. After everything they asked me if I had read through glassdoor and news about company. Well I definitely had gone over everything but do they really expect me to say bad things that people have said? They really wanted to me say things about they being in news for sexual assault and laughed how funny it is. From all the above points it was clear for me that this is just a place for slaves who will do anything to keep their jobs. Being software developer I'm giving like 10 interviews a week and will never even consider applying to this place in future.

Interview Questions
  • Did you read about Bridgewater in news? We recommend you to go back and read, it is fun!
11 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Jul 2017

Interview

Bridgewater has a very thorough process, it's actually a bit too much work before you get to the interview. I had 2 Phone screens, 1 take home coding project, 5 personality tests, about 10-15 videos describing the culture and then 1 full day interview with about 10-15 people in the office for 8 hours. From the culture videos, I was told that Bridgewater has a very open-minded culture, no egos. I did not experience this in the interview, it felt condescending at times and lots of egos. I didn't like the tone of some of the interviewer's questions, sometimes it felt like an attack on my personality, but I guess this is their culture. The culture session was about 2 hrs and was specific to how I would handle feedback, based on my personality tests, I would not be a good fit for their culture. There were 2 whiteboarding sessions on how you would approach a problem, they were very specific and related to backend engineering / algorithmic problems. The role wasn't a good fit for me, but I enjoyed learning more about my management style in the personality tests as I was able to print out my results.

Interview Questions
  • How do you handle conflict in your current role? Can you provide feedback? How do you handle feedback?
10 people found this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

This company is the most weird of all I believe.So, while setting this screening calls, they mentioned , "pls go to the homepage and watch all Cultural video", in their mail. So when I gotta call from recruiter, bam they asked have you checked the videos? Dude who has a time to go through their 1.5 hours video which talks about cultural fit and all before even interview starts, so I said some of it but they are very straight forwards, Answer YES OR NO and so I said more of NO then YES. Recruiter said, first check those videos and will set up another call. So, now I know its not normal screening, went to their site, scavenge for their so called "principles", which I believe isnt wrong or bad, but is so unique and weird, in this world hardly anyone follows this in corporate practices but it appears they do. So after reading reviews here in glassdoor and others, I was aware the kinda stuffs (like Jehovah witness) gonna happen. So, the next calls begins. Like first interview, first question have you checked cultural videos, for me this time, I am fully armed. So said Yea, dude then comes the firing part, whatever you say, its debate, either they agree or disagree, its yes or no part. So I figured out in between, it aint a place I see myself working when they have a glorious track record of 35% attraction on first 8 months. So, I thought why dont I ask them back a couple of questions as well after all its interview (I use to interview as well in past). Turns out the recruit lost interest in me and started playing with her phone as I started to receiving "button press tones" while on call. The organization which promises to have such a high level of decision making precision and quality judgement, have their front facing recruiter like this. Overall, I wouldn't doubt that I will have a second through before applying here again. Second, for those folks who may be reading afterwards, it isnt a normal place (just remember). They are great in business, I dont know how much but their founder is one of the top influential person, but that doesnt mean we have to be the slave of his principle, coz that what he says "be an Independent thinker". Ofcourse I learned (or rather forced me to learn his principle even before we had started talking) which truly makes this org / interview unique to me and like to see if other folks find this equally interesting. For anyone within the organization (if you got time to check here), you guys are great. When most people in tech (screening) rounds ask for skills, experience and academics and try to match their needs, you set yourself apart. Great way to judge people (not being sarcastic), specially when you have a good number of resource pool applying, but just think is there anything wrong in this process coz it isnt attracting great individuals and even bigger it is failing to retain large amount of them within first 18 months. Perhaps you are not selecting based on what people think, you are selecting what you need them to think, thats great but when people have other alternatives, perhaps they wanna prioritize their own needs over company needs. I am not as influential as Ray, but IMO that isnt the way growing organization should think. Anyways thats you and have a great time.

18 people found this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in Jul 2016

Interview

I did not get an offer, they said I was not a cultural fit, but here is my story. First stage is a take home question. They give a couple and you get to choose which one you want to do. They are not hard, average dev should be able to do it in a couple hours at most. It's not timed, but you have 3 days to finish. You need to be detailed on explaining what you did and what are the short comings of your code. Pretty simple and fair. So far so good. Then comes the retarded part, before they even phone screen you, you are required to take 4-5 different personality tests. To see if you will bend to their will or not. You have the choice to answer things with strongly disagree, disagree, agree, and strongly agree. Their test is setup for people that like to use "strongly" if you're more moderate (or reasonable) you will not be a cultural fit for them. Just by reading the outcome of my personality tests it seems like I didn't meet their requirements. But they decided to phone screen me anyways, probably because I did a good job on the code test. Then on the phone screen I got a couple people in a conference call. They then told me that the interview is recorded and I need to give them permission to record this or I don't interview with them. Fine, I'll let you record me, I'm just too interested in this nut case of a company to not continue. They ask you talk about your previous job and the projects that were accomplished by you. Some technical questions were asked everything was fine. Then they asked about how I would feel if management told me to do things differently and really dug in and kept asking what if management always disagreed with you. Which is rare, if that's the case then I'd probably get fired. They then literally asked me how I would feel if my manager asked me to do something completely unreasonable. Now, given the recent New York Times article about how their managers sexually harassed their male employees, I'm not sure if they meant how I would feel if their manager asked me to sleep with them. I tried my best to answer these questions without feeling like a complete waste of a human existence. This is not a place to work if you more than an ounce of self respect. Go find a job else where. It's the Northeast, there is plenty of hedge funds out there.

Interview Questions
  • How to improve the code test to scale to a larger data volume.
7 people found this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in Jul 2016

Interview

Had a pleasant Interview experience. Had to do some online personality tests and was then scheduled for a phone interview. Had a good conversation. Discussion was based about the company and my past experiences. Did not get the offer as they did not have the position available just yet. Maybe will apply again sometime later.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Jun 2016

Interview

Contrary to what I heard about Bridgewater interviews, it was a good experience. I had two initial screening before heading for face to face. In the first screening, I had to send a solution of one of the problem. Another phone screen was asking more about your role in your current position. Face to face was more about figuring if interviewer and interviewee are compatible.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

Long grueling process, consisting of phone interview and 4 different in-person interviews spread over an 8 hour period. First was an algorithms interview in which the interviewers make you white board a problem in one hour (get upset with you because they came late and you did not finish in 45 minutes but you should have had an hour). Second interview is a tech background interview, where the two interviewers nit pick a project you worked on and bash your choices if they don't align with their technologies of choice. Third is a general background and then the fourth is a culture fit interview and I wouldn't recommend disagreeing with any of their ideas.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Interviews