Bridgewater Associates Investment Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 16, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 19 of over 636 interviews

Employee Referral22%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in Nov 2021

Interview

1. Phone discussion with a recruiter 2. Moral/philosophical discussion in a group (of 3) with an investment engineer who facilitates 3. Technical interview with a current Investment Engineer. Largely probability/expectation type questions, and a few more fundamental discussions.

Interview Questions
  • The example moral/philosophical question they give is: "Is television damaging to society". They really want to know your thought process on open-ended problems and how you can establish a framework to make the discussion a bit more concrete.
    Answer Question

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

Was placed in a room with many other applicants and discussed a random topic that was not tech/math related. Then individual questions on stats/data science topics on how to approach a problem.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about Bridgewater Associates

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

A brief phone interview with a current investment engineer. Jumped straight to a technical/design question. It's pretty open ended and I think they want to know your thinking process and how you approach a problem.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Dec 2018

Interview

Process: Round 1: Technical phone interview about an algorithm question. Not an algorithm interview like software engineering, but something that requires mathematical insights and what not. Final Round: Typical Bridgewater Onsite with Group Interview & Technical Interview. Technical is similar to the phone screen in difficulty but with a different question. What I Liked: If you ask, they will give you lots of feedback. You can learn so much about your weaknesses if you do this. If your interviewer isn't available at that moment, they will try to set up a phone call to give feedback. Bridgewater sticks true to their values. Results & Thoughts: I miserably failed. But, since I did well on the phone interview, I think it's a failure to manage my thinking ability to be consistently good. That's why you need FEEDBACKS to understand what went wrong. It hurts at the moment, but if you can look past the pain, then these feedback are valuable to understanding why you failed. Like Ray Dalio says, "Pain + Reflection = Progress". I will definitely re-apply next year.

Interview Questions
  • Signed an NDA. But expect a typical Bridgewater interview process + algorithm/brain teaser questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (San Francisco, CA) in Dec 2018

Interview

I got an email from the recruiter first then talked on the phone then they sent me an email to schedule a video interview. The video interview consisted of 2 people, one talking, the other just listening in. I was expecting the hard moral bridgewater questions but I just got algorithms questions.

Interview Questions
  • You have a 100 floor building with 1 elevator, where should the elevator be idled.

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

HR arranged the interview and had the interview with a senior manager When it was time for the interview, they said that the interviewer had something else to do, then HR set up another interviewer for the interview

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Oct 2018

Interview

A phone screen and on site. I had worked at Bridgewater during the Ray days and it's pretty obvious that the hiring process is drifting away from the principles of values, abilities, skills. I assume they have hashed this out internally but it was depressing to not enjoy my interview as it was simply based on riddles. I was completely uninterested. I didn't get to know them, they didn't get to know me. Sad. Unimaginative questions, Unimaginative answers. I got angry in my Ray day interview. That's how it should be.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in Jul 2018

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. We had an informative call later that week. She was very friendly and professional. A few days later had a call with the account manager who did an in-depth resume screen and asked questions such as life aspirations, where I see myself in five years, and how Bridgewater could assist with that. I was then passed to a Bridgewater candidate lead. Once again, very professional and friendly - perhaps the most of any company I've interviewed with. We set up a call a week later with a member from the Investment team. The "analytical problem" interview comprised two thought process questions. These were difficult, yet interesting to answer. They consisted of a situation with constraints and asked to identify an optimization formula. You have 10-15 minutes for each problem.

Interview Questions
  • How can Bridgewater help you achieve your goal in 5 years?
  • If you have x with constraint y, what is the minimum number of z to achieve z' goal?
  • If you have situation x and y years worth of data, how would you find an optimal z? What would the specific formula be?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Jun 2018

Interview

I was recruited and then submitted for the investment engineer role. I spoke with a senior investment professional and then invited on site. I went through a battery of interviews and then I heard nothing back from weeks. The recruiter who ran the process went dark and then claimed to have emailed me. I got no response for weeks and then finally a no. For a company that claims to be transparent and hold themselves to high standards, the process was horrible. I wrote 6 emails to the recruiter before she answered me and then she lied about when she responded. I found the whole process to be just terrible.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you failed. What does that say about you?
2 people found this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in Dec 2017

Interview

First round is a coding problem that usually takes up to 3 hours and the answer must be emailed. I have went to second round that is a phone interview (almost 30 min). Night before the interview, it was canceled by HR and the day after, it was rescheduled again for the next week. At the rescheduled time, I was waiting for them to call but after waiting for almost 15 minutes, I have called the HR again to make sure that they have current number. However, he said that the interview is canceled (but no one told me before the interview) and must be rescheduled. It was rescheduled again and this time they called me. They were two interviewer, both introduced themselves, however, one of them stayed silenced and didn't said anything for the rest of the interview (even no goodbye). It seems that they just want to do the interview and didn't want any outcome from it, the main interviewer who were talking didn't even ask about my background or my interest or my name (I guess if my wife would have picked up the phone, they would have interviewed her!). He was in rush and wanted to finish the interview asap. He asked one question on how to optimize the elevators performance in 100 floor building when there are 10 elevators. After one week they have send a rejection email to my recruiter (they didn't even cc me)! Overall, it was not a good experience!

Interview Questions
  • optimize the elevators performance in 100 floor building when there are 10 elevators.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Interviews