Bridgewater Associates Operations Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 10 of over 622 interviews

Campus Recruiting13%
3.5
HardAverageEasy

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

The interview process was drawn out over two months, nearly three. I found the actual interviews to be interesting and thought provoking, but found the interactions with recruiters to be miserable.

Interview Questions
  • They put us in a group and we had to debate if social media was bad or good
    Answer Question
1 person found this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

A recruiter from Bridgewater messaged me over LinkedIn inviting me to interview for the Front Office Operations Associate role. I was interested, so the recruiter set up a 45 minute first round introductory call to explain the role in detail as well as the company's culture, and the rest of the time was discussing my resume in its entirety. I was selected for a second round interview over the phone the following week with an Associate. In the interim, 2 other recruiters from Bridgewater reached out saying they were the new go-to contact for my interview process, making a total of 3 people I was now dealing with. They asked me to complete 3 personality tests over the weekend, in addition to an Excel test. The 2nd round interview was a 30 minute phone call with the scheduled Associate, and an Analyst that they had not mentioned, who did all of the talking on their end. The Analyst asked to go over my Excel test to analyze my way of thinking, as opposed to the actual results. We spent 1 minute discussing my results, then they asked me to completely re-engineer my calculations for the Excel test from the ground-up. So completing the Excel test was a waste of time, and then you're pressured to re-do the entire test over the phone on the spot, with a new approach. Then the Analyst grilled me on my newly formed answers, then I had the opportunity to ask 3 quick questions, then the 30 minutes was up. In addition, filling out the personality tests was time consuming and proved to be useless. The junior level analyst did not know how to articulate his question regarding reengineering to Excel model, so it wasted several minutes of the short 2nd round phone call - if the Associate who I was supposed to speak to actually talked, I believe the process would've been smoother and better overall. Below are all the questions I was asked in the process, including first and second round.

Interview Questions
  • What do you know about Bridgewater Associates? What do you want to do 5 years from now? Tell us about your current job. Tell us your thought process on the Excel test, from beginning to end. If you were to remodel your approach to the Excel test from the ground up, how would you go about doing it? How would you calculate/assess the productivity of 2 ice cream salesmen across a year's time, where one takes 20 days of vacation in a row, and the other takes 20 days of vacation dispersed randomly across the year? + Many questions specific to my resume (in the first round)
12 people found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Bridgewater Associates

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in May 2016

Interview

Contacted by Recruiter on LinkedIn. Phone interview to discuss role and my background. Had to watch a bunch of videos on Bridgewater's amazing "culture and values". Took online personality tests (Myers-Briggs, Workplace Inventory, etc). Then complete simple excel exercise. Then more videos. Then invited to Bridgewater's facilities. Seven others were there the same day as me for the same role. Head of Operations unit gave presentation and let us ask questions. Then group discussion on topics we brought ahead of time. Then one-on-one "life interview" where they ask you to walk through your resume and will spend the next 45 minutes drilling down into one particular thing and ask why a dozen times to every answer you give. Then a subset of us (3) were asked to stay and we looked at the excel exercise again except more advanced question. Then somebody came and we had to walk them through our model while they asked a bunch of what if / scaling questions. The on-site interviews lasted 6 hours. A week later the Recruiter called and said they were not progressing with my candidacy because of my personality. You have to genuinely drink the kool-aid. They will detect any BS. If you genuinely don't believe in the 'values' then don't try. Their facilities are amazingly nice and they gave free food. There was no actual discussion of the role or position at any point, or even any real emphasis on demonstrating technical or analysis skills. All they care about is if they think you will fit in with their culture.

Interview Questions
  • What is your greatest weakness? Then they ask "why" 10 times in a row to every answer you give until you realize they don't care what you say, just how you react to "probing". Feign humility and awe at their sublime process for knowing oneself.
9 people found this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

Very strange, no typical interview questions, people interviewed with were very awkward. Was asked a lot of questions, but got very little feedback from interviewer. Any attempts at conversation were futile.

5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT)

Interview

thorough interview process and very time consuming. the first round is a "test" round where you are in a group interview and asked questions that stir a political debate to demonstrate your debating skills? or personality traits? not quite sure the point but had nothing to do with the qualifications listed for the job.

Interview Questions
  • what the expectations were; to be aggressive or agreeable during the group interview. everyone can demonstrate both when there is an expectation communicated to them beforehand.
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in MISSING VALUE

Application

Interview

The interview was diverse and challenging. They want to see if you can think logically and if you can adapt to different situations. Before they bring you in, you sit through a phone interview. Then, if you are invited on site, you will go through a series of different interview formats (debate, business case, formal interview).

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult part was the probing during the debate portion of the interview.
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Jan 2011

Interview

Interviewed with 7 people for 6 hours on-site following an hour of phone interview a month earlier. The position was great, a great long-term opportunity too. I was really excited about this job. The interview was easy -- Tell me about yourself - What are your weaknesses - kind of stuff. The person I was to be reporting to was great, and we got along really well. But I also met with people from other departments that I was going to be working with and that was a problem as I was obviously too honest and too open. Ray's principles are great and I really believe in them. But don't apply them too much in your interview. Beaware: treat the interview like an interview with any other company. Although everyone says they believe and act by the principles, I got the sense that in practice, it's just like any other place: they play they little games, protecting their turf, being political etc.... It's unfortunate that it didn't work out. My mistake: believing they all really play by the principles. Hope this helps

Interview Questions
8 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Mar 2010

Interview

I first had a phone interview in which the interviewer wanted to find out more about you as a person. They asked questions like what was your favorite class in college, why you made certain career moves, and why you are interested in this job. Pretty generic, however it was clear that they were not interested in hearing the typical BS wall street answers, but they wanted to honestly know your thought process as to WHY this was your favorite class, ect. Once I passed the phone test I was asked to take two different personality tests before I came to the office for an in person interview (took about a week to set up). Once on site you first have a group interview with all of the other candidates you are interviewing against. You will be given a list of topics that have nothing to do with finance and made to discuss/argue about them with each other (topics like abortion/steroid use in sports/illegal immigration). There are two interviewers that sit with you to moderate the conversation and then there are HR people in the back taking notes. The point is to see your thought process and how well you justify your arguments more than what your argument is. After this they will eliminate some candidates and the other ones will be taken in for a 1 on 1 interviews. You will then be asked to solve a question like "how many McDonalds are there in midtown manhattan" or "you own a deli and an order comes in for 100 blt's to be served at the same time, how would you go about it." Again, they do not care about the right answer, but about how you think about giving an answer. If you make it past that then you will have a different interviewer give you a more traditional 1 on 1 interview. Advice: They are looking for people who naturally fit there, so do yourself a favor and be honest. If you are not they type of person that is meant to work there then its better that you find out at the interview and work somewhere else. You will NOT be able to fake it there and even if you get hired you will be discovered.

Interview Questions
8 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Mar 2010

Interview

3 initial interviews with HR and then 2 separate interview with people in operations. Then two sets of group interviews where I was asked to "dazzle" the group. One of the interviews was videotaped while I was grilled with a wide range of questions...almost none of them were operations content oriented...more like a combination of Apple, Google and McKinsey interview greatest hits.

7 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Mar 2009

Interview

The interview process was primarily based on guided discussions and debates that were designed to capture the candidate thought process. In the first portion, topics were given and arguments were made. If you ever did MUN or something of a similar nature it is all pretty easy. The day led on to a quantitative test and further debates with other candidates. After each segment of the day, a portion of the group vanished never to be seen again. If you aren't there until the late afternoon, you can know right away that you didn't make it. The interview ended with a one on one candidate discussion.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 Interviews