Find jobs for Senior Software Engineer

Bridgewater Associates Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2019

To filter interviews, or .
Found 6 of over 629 interviews

Staffing Agency20%
3.7
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Wilton, CT) in Feb 2019

Interview

I will never work at Bridgewater due to the terrible taste the interview left in my mouth. The description I was given of the process was entirely inaccurate so I was not prepared for the intensity of it. The interviewers would ask me technical questions and then cut me off in the middle of my sentence with surprise questions. They told me no white-boarding and of course what do you think I did for a full hour straight? Honestly, I am surprised that any software engineers choose to work in such a hostile environment. I'm glad I walked away.

Interview Questions
  • Stand at the whiteboard and do a deep dive into the architecture of your most recent project.
    Answer Question
1 person found this interview helpful

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in Oct 2017

Interview

It was a total waste of time to talk to Bridgewater Associate. I should have trusted other reviews on Glassdoor. Process started with watching number of video on Culture, then a personality test (it was good, very long), then a call with Recruiter and finally screen with hiring manager. I was really impressed by the culture videos and was excited about the call with hiring manager. Unfortunately my call turned out to be pretty regular screen interview and nothing much special about the culture aspect. While talking about their tech stake HM mentioned Scala and I mentioned from my side that I haven't had chance to do Scala but appreciate the language a lot and willing to learn. HM said yeah its not important to know for this role (this is what recruiters told before even going into conversation too) but there should be a desire to learn Scala. I felt good about it. 1 hour call got over after number of Q&A's regarding my past work, me asking HM number of questions of about their platform. I was expecting some feedback (direct) on call as per their culture if I was not meeting their expectation but nothing. Later on my follow up to get feedback of interview, I learned from recruiter that they don't want to proceed because of no experience in Scala. Not sure why the call were scheduled in the first place and number of hours of all involved parties were wasted when they really wanted Scala developers. Call also do not reflect anything about the their culture which is talked a lot about in the videos.

Interview Questions
  • Questions on previous Work experiences. Why I want to join Hedge fund etc.
2 people found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Bridgewater Associates

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Bridgewater Associates

Application

I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates

Interview

recruiting agency helped set up a phone interview after passing the coding test. was asked to read documents and watch over a dozen videos on their "culture" before going into the interview. coding test was OK, interview was weird.

12 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Oct 2013

Interview

I applied through a recruiter, promissing me a $100 per hour position. I interviews with a former contractor, who then looked at my social media profiles and told me that because I was a CEO of a software company 20 years ago, that I would not be a good fit for this position. The software company was the consulting company I owned to take on conract positions with numerous clients over a 20 year period.

Interview Questions
  • Mostly personal questions designed for cultural fit.
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Feb 2013

Interview

Mostly technical interviews: systems design and some pseudocoding. One personality driven one, where it seemed they were explicitly trying to get under my skin. And a company culture summary video. Between those last two and the personality test, I was confident by halfway through that I did *not* want to work there.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in Apr 2011

Interview

After my resume was submitted by a recruiter, I was given a relatively simple programming assignment to complete. It took me about an hour to write the code, and my recruiter sent the finished project to Bwater for review. Feedback from Bwater was positive, and I was scheduled for a phone screen shortly thereafter. In preparation for the phone screen, I read Ray Dalio's "Principles", which I found very compelling and similar to my own world view. I was very excited about the prospect of working for a company that seemed to truly share my values. The phone screen began quite unexpectedly. I was more than a little surprised that a company that seems to take such pride in their work would call me seven minutes late. Noting that, I happily acquiesced to having the conversation recorded. I was first asked about my experience and how my role fits the mission of my company. I gave a brief overview and we moved on. My interviewer was polite (and even cordial) on the surface, but was not expressing his opinions about my responses to his questions (which seemed to be to be in contradiction to Ray's principles). He then gave me a technical problem to solve, which I did comfortably while discussing the runtime complexity and other factors. We went into some depth about my experience, including why I made certain choices in software design. He then asked me about the type of role I was seeking, and beyond strictly software development roles, I was not familiar with specific roles in the finance industry and asked for some clarification regarding those. I believe this negatively affected my candidacy in his mind, although he was not transparent about this, and made no effort to find common ground to judge where I would best fit the organization. Again, in apparent contrast to Ray's principles. Finally, I asked him only one question: how closely Bwater follows Ray's principles. His answer gave me the impression that the principles are not followed very closely in practice. This is a shame, as I believe that those principles, if effectively applied, can have very positive effects on a company's culture and profitability. I got the impression that working for this company, and assuming that the principles would be adhered to, would only lead to constant frustration and unhappiness. This is why I was actually relieved to hear that Bwater was not interested in moving forward. I believe Bwater would benefit from a more consistent application of the Principles in the hiring and promotion of its employees. But then, it is possible that Ray simply outclasses his employees, and quality control may be more difficult in a company of 1200 employees. Or maybe not.

Interview Questions
  • The interviewer drilled very deeply into my decision-making process.
  • How does your role fit into your current company's goals?
7 people found this interview helpful