Bridgewater Associates Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bridgewater Associates Software Developer Interview Questions

3.6

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

This company is the most weird of all I believe.So, while setting this screening calls, they mentioned , "pls go to the homepage and watch all Cultural video", in their mail. So when I gotta call from recruiter, bam they asked have you checked the videos? Dude who has a time to go through their 1.5 hours video which talks about cultural fit and all before even interview starts, so I said some of it but they are very straight forwards, Answer YES OR NO and so I said more of NO then YES. Recruiter said, first check those videos and will set up another call. So, now I know its not normal screening, went to their site, scavenge for their so called "principles", which I believe isnt wrong or bad, but is so unique and weird, in this world hardly anyone follows this in corporate practices but it appears they do.

So after reading reviews here in glassdoor and others, I was aware the kinda stuffs (like Jehovah witness) gonna happen. So, the next calls begins. Like first interview, first question have you checked cultural videos, for me this time, I am fully armed. So said Yea, dude then comes the firing part, whatever you say, its debate, either they agree or disagree, its yes or no part. So I figured out in between, it aint a place I see myself working when they have a glorious track record of 35% attraction on first 8 months. So, I thought why dont I ask them back a couple of questions as well after all its interview (I use to interview as well in past).

Turns out the recruit lost interest in me and started playing with her phone as I started to receiving "button press tones" while on call. The organization which promises to have such a high level of decision making precision and quality judgement, have their front facing recruiter like this.

Overall, I wouldn't doubt that I will have a second through before applying here again. Second, for those folks who may be reading afterwards, it isnt a normal place (just remember). They are great in business, I dont know how much but their founder is one of the top influential person, but that doesnt mean we have to be the slave of his principle, coz that what he says "be an Independent thinker".

Ofcourse I learned (or rather forced me to learn his principle even before we had started talking) which truly makes this org / interview unique to me and like to see if other folks find this equally interesting.

For anyone within the organization (if you got time to check here), you guys are great. When most people in tech (screening) rounds ask for skills, experience and academics and try to match their needs, you set yourself apart. Great way to judge people (not being sarcastic), specially when you have a good number of resource pool applying, but just think is there anything wrong in this process coz it isnt attracting great individuals and even bigger it is failing to retain large amount of them within first 18 months. Perhaps you are not selecting based on what people think, you are selecting what you need them to think, thats great but when people have other alternatives, perhaps they wanna prioritize their own needs over company needs. I am not as influential as Ray, but IMO that isnt the way growing organization should think.

Anyways thats you and have a great time.

Other Interview Reviews for Bridgewater Associates

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in July 2016.

Interview

I did not get an offer, they said I was not a cultural fit, but here is my story.

First stage is a take home question. They give a couple and you get to choose which one you want to do. They are not hard, average dev should be able to do it in a couple hours at most. It's not timed, but you have 3 days to finish. You need to be detailed on explaining what you did and what are the short comings of your code. Pretty simple and fair. So far so good.

Then comes the retarded part, before they even phone screen you, you are required to take 4-5 different personality tests. To see if you will bend to their will or not. You have the choice to answer things with strongly disagree, disagree, agree, and strongly agree. Their test is setup for people that like to use "strongly" if you're more moderate (or reasonable) you will not be a cultural fit for them. Just by reading the outcome of my personality tests it seems like I didn't meet their requirements. But they decided to phone screen me anyways, probably because I did a good job on the code test.

Then on the phone screen I got a couple people in a conference call. They then told me that the interview is recorded and I need to give them permission to record this or I don't interview with them. Fine, I'll let you record me, I'm just too interested in this nut case of a company to not continue.

They ask you talk about your previous job and the projects that were accomplished by you. Some technical questions were asked everything was fine. Then they asked about how I would feel if management told me to do things differently and really dug in and kept asking what if management always disagreed with you. Which is rare, if that's the case then I'd probably get fired.

They then literally asked me how I would feel if my manager asked me to do something completely unreasonable. Now, given the recent New York Times article about how their managers sexually harassed their male employees, I'm not sure if they meant how I would feel if their manager asked me to sleep with them.

I tried my best to answer these questions without feeling like a complete waste of a human existence. This is not a place to work if you more than an ounce of self respect. Go find a job else where. It's the Northeast, there is plenty of hedge funds out there.

Interview Questions

• How to improve the code test to scale to a larger data volume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

Contrary to what I heard about Bridgewater interviews, it was a good experience. I had two initial screening before heading for face to face. In the first screening, I had to send a solution of one of the problem. Another phone screen was asking more about your role in your current position. Face to face was more about figuring if interviewer and interviewee are compatible.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Long grueling process, consisting of phone interview and 4 different in-person interviews spread over an 8 hour period. First was an algorithms interview in which the interviewers make you white board a problem in one hour (get upset with you because they came late and you did not finish in 45 minutes but you should have had an hour). Second interview is a tech background interview, where the two interviewers nit pick a project you worked on and bash your choices if they don't align with their technologies of choice. Third is a general background and then the fourth is a culture fit interview and I wouldn't recommend disagreeing with any of their ideas.

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Wilton, CT) in June 2015.

Interview

Programming problem to start (done at home)
    easy phone interview
    Difficult in person interview consisting of talking to many people from the team about technical things and personality traits
    cultural fit assessment

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Initial coding of problem in 3 days, so lot of time for that, after coding test is done, they ask for phone interview, mainly to see you fit in their culture of radical transparency. After phone interview they asked me for on sight interview. At on sight they tested me on algorithms which was fine and asked me talk about two technical projects I have worked on, which in my case was not very strong.
    Initially they had scheduled me for discussions and showing their video too but after my second round (describing two technical projects)of technical interview they asked me to leave so I knew I am not getting the offer.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in April 2015.

Interview

I had the best interview experience. From HR providing driving directions and an overview of the day, to the interview evaluation. It was so impressive with such a good interview arrangement, yet they are still looking for improvement. I don’t believe in “perfect” because there is always a room for improvement, but this time I just can’t think of any.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT).

Interview

It's one thing to hear about Bridgewater's strange culture, another to experience it firsthand. I interviewed for a Software Engineer position with them in 2010, and had been warned that it was "cult-like". I breezed through the initial call and programming challenge they sent me, and remember thinking "this seems pretty normal".

Then they sent me an electronic copy of Ray Dalio's book and told me I was going to be quizzed on it in three days.

This was where things started to get weird. I spoke with two people from management who seemed to be deliberately trying to throw me off balance. They briefly asked about the book, but I get the sense that the real test was in how I reacted under pressure, and whether I could offer "honest feedback" (read: blunt and critical to a point that would have been harmful to team cohesiveness in a work situation). They would deliberately try to lead me on to agreeing with them on things that were outright wrong, and seemed frustrated when I called them on it. They started probing pretty insistently into my personal life: what type of people did I hang out with? What do I do after work? Why? Do I really want the job? How do I know I really want the job?

After about an hour of this, I decided I actually didn't want the job if that was the way the culture was set up, and cut the interview process off myself.

Interview Questions

• What's the dumbest thing that a past company you've worked at has done, and how did you react to it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in January 2014.

Interview

First, I received a coding problem as a 'homework'. I would say the problem was fairly easy.

One week later, I had a phone interview with a manager. It lasted 15 minutes, we (briefly) talked about my last experience, my solution to the problem, I even had some time to ask questions about the position.

One week later, I got an email saying I was not selected for in-person interview as I did not detect issues in my solution - No, I only explained my choice and proposed scalability improvements, which did not trigger any interest from the interviewer as he did not question it.

Since they recorded the phone interview, and the company praises on its website its transparency, I gently requested a copy of the record for my personal review. I never received anything.

Their principles are great, I am still wondering about the rest...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in November 2013.

Interview

Initial phone interview, not too unusual. Asked technical and background questions. Interviewers probed background questions to see how well I responded to persistent questioning. Asked to complete coding challenge and personality test and go to firm for second interview, which consisted of 3 hour-long interviews. First was a technical interview, second was a debate-style interview, last was a fit interview.