Brigham Young University (BYU) Teaching Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Brigham Young University (BYU) Teaching Assistant Interview Questions

2.2

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in June 2016.

Interview

Professor called and asked about my skills but more importantly my commitment to the students. It was really friendly and low-key. They are questions would would expect, with most of the interview being informative about the position.

Interview Questions

• What was one thing you would have changed about the class when you took it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Brigham Young University (BYU)

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) (Provo, UT) in August 2015.

Interview

Received an email from the interested professor, and we had a brief discussion regarding my schedule and what the expectations would be. There was some discussion over what the professor's expectations would be for me as a TA, and how he wanted the class to run. We also discussed how we would collaborate to best help the students.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No real negotiation took place.

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) (Provo, UT) in April 2014.

Interview

The professor emails you. You gasp and laugh and cry. Mostly because the class hasn't been a walk through a field of daisies. But wow, MONEY. And the job is not taking the class. You go in. They seem rather pleasant, and you try to act pleasant, even though you've been kinda grumpy. But always on the front row, so that's a plus for you. Some will say you have the job there, so you start scheduling your life. Others say "I'll get back to you." Not that you sweating over this class is anything new.

Interview Questions

• Does you schedule fit this class?   1 Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU).

Interview

The best way to get hired as a TA is to build a relationship with the professor you want to TA for and do well in their class. You need to participate in class discussions, but also visit the professor outside of class. Mention to them early that you would be interested in TAing for them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase, position terms were cut and dry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) (Provo, UT) in April 2009.

Interview

Very easy. I just had to do well in the class and then ask the teacher after the semester was over.

Interview Questions

• What was your grade in the class.   1 Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU).

Interview

I was approached by a professor who needed a new teaching assistant. I'd only had this professor for one semester but had performed very well in a small class. He gave me an overview of the requirements, salary and a job application; I submitted it and was hired. There was some paperwork to fill out in the Wilk Employment Office but overall it was fairly painless. After I'd had a semester of assisting under my belt, another professor (whom I'd had for many classes) asked me if I'd feel comfortable TA'ing for two professors at once. My experience was very similar to most of the other TAs' I knew--professors handpick TAs from their own classrooms. If you want to be a TA, be prepared to go above and beyond in one of your classes.

Interview Questions

• My professors were mostly concerned with my class schedule; conflicts would have made it impossible for me to TA, obviously.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. All teaching assistants start out at the same base pay and receive raises if they stick with it for consecutive semesters.