Brightcove Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Brightcove Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Brightcove

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2018.

Interview

First, I was contacted by a recruiter who was very friendly and pleasant. After this, she set up an interview with the hiring manager who was also nice to talk to and very informative. The final step was three 2 on 1 interviews with various team members. This was divided into 3 stages (behavioral, coding, and system design). Overall, everything seemed to go great in my opinion and I felt me and the team vibed very well.

Unfortunately though, I was informed a few days later by the recruiter that the team decided they wanted someone more "senior". I thought this was rather strange as while I am not senior, I have several years of industry experience so I would have no issue ramping up quickly. As well, the team had also expressed to me that they were hiring on several people as they had recently lost a number. I think the real reason may have been the fact that they were trying to lowball me a bit on the expected salary and I pushed back to a more acceptable range (which I actually later got an offer even higher than what I suggested from another company).

Overall, I have mixed feelings. I think this could have been a great place to work and everyone I talked to was strong and friendly, but I get the feeling they don't want to pay market rate for good engineers and also need to figure out what they want from the beginning of the process rather than after taking hours of a candidates time. Writing this review so hopefully management can get some feedback. I hold no negative feelings about the process cause I actually enjoyed the interview which was well thought out, but I feel the criticism is definitely needed.

Interview Questions

Brightcove Response

Oct 11, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we always appreciate feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not optimal, this is review is helpful for us. While I don’t know the specific team you were meeting with, I do know that sometimes the direction of the search changes mid-process as things develop internally and we meet the candidates who are in the market. Those changes can result in an inefficient process and I am sorry that this happened for both you and our hiring team. I can assure you that we would not try to lowball you, or any candidate, we want all employees here to feel their value through their work, our culture, and their paychecks.
Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and giving us the opportunity to explore ways to improve our process. Please keep the door open for Brightcove, I would personally be happy to help you navigate our interview process the next time around.
-Carrie Walecka

Other Interview Reviews for Brightcove

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brightcove (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was totally RUDE....!!!! . I don't want to mention the name of the guy who called me, but he gave me zero respect as a candidate and he was talking as if he has found out the Big Bang all by himself.
    Everyone makes mistakes , this guy didn't even give a chance to make a mistake and he was criticizing me right from the start as if i have not done anything till now. I have worked for couple of clients in my short career and holds a masters degree from a reputed university.

The last thing that he told me that: He asked me whether i have done anything challenging in this world.

A kind suggestion to the people who work and interview candidates : please don't make them look fools. You were once in their situation , looking for job.

May 18, 2016

We are sorry to read that you did not have a good experience during your interview process. It is our goal and priority that everyone who interviews with us has a positive experience regardless of the outcome.
    I oversee talent acquisition here at Brightcove and would welcome an opportunity to speak with you and hear your feedback directly. If that's of interest, please reach out to me at recruiting@brightcove.com. Regards, Gayle Maneikis

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brightcove (Cambridge, MA) in July 2009.

Interview

Met with 3 people, 2 developers and 1 tester. All friendly people, young vibrant atmosphere. Questions were on algorithms, design patterns and some brain teasers.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove.

Interview

I had a very brief phone screening with a senior technical recruiter who wasn't very interested in what I had to say but got positive feedback nonetheless.

This was followed by an interview with the hiring manager for the position which was really interesting, he was nice and we had a very positive conversation.

I never heard back after this. I sent multiple emails to chase up for feedback and wasn't responded to. This is dehumanising and completely unacceptable.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about Golang? What is your experience with container technology?   Answer Question

Dec 14, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We value a candidate's experience and welcome all comments both positive and constructive. I am sorry to hear that there was no follow up on your interviews, that is not our general practice. Please accept our apologies and know that it was not our intention. If you'd like an opportunity speak with me about this please email me at recruiting@brightcove.com. Best of luck with your job search. Gayle Maneikis, VP Talent Acquisition

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brightcove (Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)) in October 2019.

Interview

Entrevista introductoria, técnica, ejercicios y onsite. Todo el personal es muy amable. Disfrute mucho el proceso. Sin embargo no hubo feedback después de dos semanas de haber concluido las entrevistas

Interview Questions

Brightcove Response

Feb 6, 2020 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

Hola y gracias por tomarse el tiempo para compartir su experiencia aquí. Lamento que haya tardado más de lo necesario para obtener comentarios, nuestro objetivo es ser oportuno y respetuoso con el proceso y el calendario de un candidato. Si desea obtener más comentarios, comuníquese conmigo directamente a cwalecka@brightcove.com y puedo asegurarme de conectarlo con la persona adecuada para obtener lo que necesita.