Bristol West Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bristol West Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

3.3

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bristol West in January 2017.

Interview

First step was a phone interview with HR. Was immediately invited for a 2nd in person interview with a panel of 4 total people. 2 claims supervisors, HR, and the director. When I entered the conference room, there was a piece of paper with a question and the lady that took me into the room told me to "Write a page to answer the question". I was then given 5 minutes to write my answer, and then the interview panel came into the room. The actual interview was competency based which meant each question had to be answered in STAR format. If you started to answer without STAR format, they will literally interrupt you to start your answer over. The panel of interviewees grilled me with questions which was unlike any other interviews I've done. During every answer I gave, every one of the people interviewing me would vigorously write down each word I was saying, which made it seem like they weren't even interested in actually hearing and interpreting what I was saying. I'm sure this is just a procedure they have to follow, but still seemed very impersonal.

Apart from all of this, I thought the interview went really well. Personally, the questions being thrown at me made me think on my feet and give better answers than your regular "rehearsed interview questions" you do to prepare for the interview. Probably at least 30 questions total. And at least 8-10 of them you need legitimate examples of past professional experience. Interview lasted about an hour and 15 minutes.

The reason I rated this as a negative experience is because I never heard anything back from Bristol West. They said they would be making a decision by the end of the week. The date was pushed back another week. Its been months now and no one ever followed up, which makes me not even want to work for the company anyway. Ive had dozens of interviews/job offers and have never experienced a more unprofessional HR department to not even contact their candidates after interviews. Farmers Insurance needs to tighten the slack on Bristol and improve this ASAP, or there will be no talent attracted to the company.

Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bristol West (Brea, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied via Farmers Website, then I got a call from the HR Recruiter for a phone interview. Went over my background and why I wanted to work in claims. She set a Panel interview for a week out and I went to that.

Then Panel interview was unique there were seven people there and this was the third round of five for the day. The Branch Manager came in and told us a little about the company and how many spots there were trying to fill.

After that we were split up in to separate rooms one interviewee to two senior mangers, asked basic questions all scenario based tell me about a time.... If you dont have examples they will ask you for them.

After that they ask you to shadow an employee while they review your answers with the hiring manager. This is where the first cut seems to take place, not everyone shadowed or meet with the hiring manager from what I could see I only saw three of the seven that started.

Hiring Manger was nice asked more questions all star based asked salary requirements and what questions I had if any told training starts in a month will have an answer by the end of the week.

I will update once I hear either way no offer as of yet....

Update

Got the offer today and it has only been one day since my interview, I accepted and have a start date

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to negotiate? How to you handle setting priorities, and how do you choose them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bristol West (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview with the only recruiter they have. Then set up for an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of two supervisors. Both seemed very disinterested in interviewing me.

I have great experience and the required experience for this position, but seemed like they were not interested from the moment they walked into the room.

Then they seemed confused, looking at each other back and forth not knowing who was supposed to ask the next question.

Then was told that they would follow up with me. No response and it has been almost two weeks.

Of course calling the recruiter "magically" goes to her voicemail and she does not have any respect to return a single call or email to either provide feedback on why they were not interested, or just a quick note to say thanks but not thanks.

Tacky, rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Basic STAR format questions (4 in total). Easy interview   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster/Initial Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bristol West (Brea, CA).

Interview

Apply through Farmers Insurance website. After a phone interview with the HR/recruiter, you will get an in person interview. Be prepared, be professional, because this is your only chance. You will be facing 2 or 3 supervisors. The interview will be behavioral style (around 10 behavioral interview questions).

After the initial interview. If the supervisors like you, they will ask you to seat with an employee for a bit while they review your answers with a branch manager.

Once supervisors reviewed with the branch manager, you will be interviewing with the branch manager. He/she will ask just few more questions. He/she will have have an intimidating manner to see how you react.

After this interview. They will tell you to wait for the call for next step while they consider your hiring process.

I received the phone call offer just after 2 days. From one of senior supervisor. The pay offer was little lower than what I was expected but there isn't much room for negotiation. Remember, these are the pro negotiators. And this is not the time to show off your negotiation skills (unless your last job experience was a car salesman and you don't mind going back).

If you accept the offer, you will be starting the background check process. It takes about 3 weeks to a month. Then, congrats. You will be another hamster on the wheel!

Interview Questions

• How you deal with stressful situation, how you deal with an irate customer, have you ever facing the situation that you have to go against company policy...etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bristol West (Lake Mary, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application and resume. Got a quick call to interview. Interviewed with the claims manager, supervisor and trainer. I thought the interview went well. They felt I might be better qualified for a senior position and said they would call or have Sr. Claim mgr follow up. Heard nothing from this other person.
    At the end of the week, I received a message from the interviewing manager to call. I called and left the manager a message and he never called me back. Odd. If he was just calling to tell me I did not get the job, surely a man that denies claims all day could give me a call back to give me the bad news.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bristol West (Dallas, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Kind, informative interviewers. Behavioral Interview-style questions (I was told in advance on the phone that the interview would consist of behavior questions, and that they would be looking for specific stories from my past work experiences). The interview lasted maybe 20 minutes. I sat in a room with two interviewers who took turns asking me questions and taking notes. Afterwards, I was invited to sit with a current employee for another 20 minutes or so to get a sense for the job duties.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you had to negotiate with someone to resolve a difference of opinion.   Answer Question

Knowledge Management Rotation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bristol West (Plantation, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview w/the hiring manager located in a different city along with the mentor who would oversee the position. It was pleasant and to the point. Questions were fair to understand and the timeline given as to when decision would be made was accurate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to provide feedback to one of your coworkers?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bristol West (Brea, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online of the Farmers Insurance Group website. I was contacted a week later for a phone interview which lead to an in person interview. I have to admit that this was one of the most difficult interviews I've participated in and was actually quite strange.
    They perform behavior based interviews using the S.T.A.R. method.
    I started in a room with 2 supervisors, they were very pleasant and asked structured STAR questions based on the skills they were looking for. I then shadowed an employee for about 30 minutes.
    I was then interviewed by 2 different supervisors that seemed to be higher in authority. This is when things became strange. One of the interviewers was making very animated facial expressions in response to my answers. It was abundantly clear that he didn't approve of my answers. A few days later I was contacted by email and informed that I was not selected.
    They constantly focused on the negative and the challenges of the position. They seemed to almost want to scare me off, I was still interested but wasn't perceived as a good fit.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to leave you current profession?/ what don't you like about your current profession.   1 Answer
    • why do you want to work in insurance claims?   Answer Question
    • where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question
    • tell me about time you had to make an unpopular decision.   Answer Question
    • have you ever had to be a peacemaker between arguing employees   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bristol West (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, a week or so later I get a call from a hiring supervisor about setting up an in-person interview. I was surprised there wasn't a phone interview first since that's what I was going through while applying at other companies for the same position. Interview consisted of 2 hiring managers. Behavioral based interview with about 5-10 competencies. If you're not familiar with behavioral based interviews, I would do some research because it's not your typical interview & can be challenging. Research what types of questions may be asked & watch videos on examples of how to answer. A lot of preparation is needed. The interview lasted about 45 min.-1 hour. After the interview, I was open to ask any questions for them. Then, they asked if I had a few more minutes to shadow a current employee & see the type of work & ask questions (I took this as a good sign, because I don't think they'd waste their time if the 1st interview didn't go so well). Next, the general manager wanted to talk got a bit. He mainly went over my resume & asked a few questions & let me know he would follow up. Got a response 2 days later with an offer! Generous base salary, can't complain!

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time where you took initiative on doing something even though it was not your responsibility?

Can you tell me about a time when you had several tasks & how were you able to prioritize them?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate based on the fact that I'm bilingual. They give a 5% increase in salary of you are bilingual, though you are required to pass a language test within the first couple months. Initial base salary was quite generous & I was happy to get that 5% increase. You are also eligible for cash bonuses every year based on performance. Don't be afraid to negotiate!

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bristol West.

Interview

This was a very smooth and organized process. I applied online. 6 days later, I received an email from HR asking me to complete 2 online assessments. One was a personality assessment; the other was a timed test about grammar and how to follow directions. The test wasn't difficult. 3 weeks later, I received a phone call from one the hiring supervisors. She wanted to see if I was still interested and scheduled a phone interview for 2 days later. I accepted. The phone interview was with her and another hiring manager. Both were very nice and informative. I was nervous at first because I am not the best at interviews but they made it so calm and casual, it didn't feel like an interview. Two days after my phone interview, the hiring supervisor called me back and scheduled an in person panel interview for 5 days later. The panel interview included the same two hiring supervisors and now a hiring manager. Again, the interview was not difficult. These people were so nice and welcoming. Right after the interview, I sat with a couple of other employees to see what they do and how their system looks like. I was with them for about an hour. I would say a week after the interview, the general claims director called me to get to know a little about me. The following day, one of the hiring supervisors called me a job offer! The whole timeline from submitting my application to receiving a job offer took around 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to make a decision when your boss wasn't around?   Answer Question