British Gas Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

British Gas Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview Questions

Interviews at British Gas

3.2

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at British Gas in July 2014.

Interview

After entering initial details, I was sent a link to an online application form & test. There were some (very easy, in my opinion) tests regarding numeracy & literacy, plus one of those multiple choice personality profile tests. After completing this I was emailed again & offered a telephone interview a few weeks later. This was quite easy - general competency based questions were asked, similar to some of the responsibilities of of the role. Some research of the company would be beneficial for this part as they do ask questions about what you know of British Gas/Centrica. Immediately after the phone interview - on the same call - I was told that I was successful and if I wanted to, could continue to the assessment centre which would involve some group exercises, an interview & a mechanical reasoning test.

The assessment centre date was given to me well in advance so I had time to arrange a day off from my current job to get there (it was just over an hour away from me in Thatcham). The assessment day turned out to be a very long process with a lot of waiting around. Firstly you sit through a very informative presentation about the role, the company, pay, hours, etc. Then you have the interview, mechanical test & group exercise, not necessarily in that order. You are given 10mins in a room to prepare for your interview with a few questions on a piece of paper. The interview was held by two managers & the questions are based answers given in the personality test. Some of the questions were quite difficult to answer. If you have ever done a competency interview though you will be ok. Make sure to note some examples of tasks you have completed, difficult times or giving good customer service.

Wear a suit or similar to the assessment day. They don't give you much idea about the dress code but we all had a suit & tie on.

The mechanical reasoning test was quite straight forward. I'd recommend doing online practice tests to get an idea of what sort of questions you'll get. We were given 20minutes to complete it which was actually too long for me.

The group exercise consists of some tasks for a customer, within a time limit. It's basically to assess both your communication skills and ability to ascertain customer requirements and not promise anything you can't deliver. The tasks initially seem easy until you ask more questions about what is required.

It's clear they are looking for candidates who are good with people, can communicate effectively, ask questions & have empathy. Demonstrate these skills and you will likely be offered a role.

Overall a good experience and a very professional, well thought out process to get the best candidates.

Interview Questions

• If you were able to, would you cut corners to get things done quicker?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for British Gas

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

the first interview is by telephone, they ask you to have examples of times you have had a mechanical problem, and i dont recall the other, but they let you prepare the answers well in advance. I hate talking over the phone, so i was sure i wasnt going to make it to the next stage, but the lady that conducted the interview was really friendly and made the process alot easier. She then told me that i had made it to the next stage which is a half day assessment in Leeds, this consisted of an interview, a mechanical reasoning test and a team exercise (kind of like roleplay).
    in the interview you are sat in a room with 2 managers, they were both really friendly and told me that they like to try and do them informally. They asked questions based on the answers you gave in the behavioural test online to apply for the job, (e.g 'in the behavioural test, the answers you gave suggest that you may, on occasion, cut corners in your work, tell me a time when you may have not been as thorough as you could have been'). Then it was the mechanical reasoning test, it was very easy, it was just multiple choice questions that you had to answer, e.g if cog x moves this way, which way will cog y move? and then finally, it was the group exercise... where all the candidates sat together, and a lady that worked there pretended to be a customer and you had to make things for her like paperclip bracelets and blow up balloons whilst some other staff watch and review you. it sounds easy, but after the first try where you make them, she will say its not right she wanted a bracelet made of all blue paperclips and only red balloons blowing up (so you have to ask her specifically what she wants before you start, if you remember to do that you will have a massive advantage because noone asked, they just assumed) Overall it was a good experience, everyone was really helpful and friendly, they rang me today and unfortunately i didnt get the job, im really disappointed, but they said it was the interview that let me down, but they were impressed with the rest of my application, and they encouraged me to apply again in the future.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an example of a time that you have completed a task for a company that you may have found unethical   Answer Question

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thatcham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Thatcham, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online through their careers website. Overall the online section was smooth comprising of the usual CV upload and filling out your history and personal details. There are some competency based online tests (basic numeracy, verbal reasoning and a personality test) and if successful a telephone interview. Personally I found the whole telephone interview unpleasant. The interviewer for me was rude and did not come across as someone who wanted to hire anyone. Thankfully however I passed, the questions were not too complicated for example: what do you know about the company?
    explain a time you solved a mechanical problem?
    explain a time you helped a customer with an issue? etc.
    After the interview is finished if you are successful you are invited to an assessment day there and then.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you solved a mechanical problem?   1 Answer

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at British Gas.

Interview

Firstly you complete the application form online, which is fairly straight forward, assessing your suitability for the role. After this you take part in a telephone interview where you are asked fairly standard questions, such as describe a time you provided great customer service. If successful at this stage you are invited to the assessment centre, which lasts half a day. It is a thorough but very good assessment which allows you to showcase your strengths. After this you will receive a phone call with their decision as well as feedback.

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Gas in June 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview. Had telephone interview. Interviewer was very polite. Asked me if I was ready for telephone interview. Interviewer confirmed my name, address i.e. email, home address. Then straight to simple question/answer interview. No such questions were asked that you need to think and answer. Told me that they will inform me within 14 days if I am selected for further process.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why do you want to join British Gas?
      2. What experiences have you got in gas/electric meter installations?
      3. What do you know about smart metering?   Answer Question

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at British Gas in July 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview fairly straight forward. Told i was successful immediately and offered a place at assessment centre. This involves group discussion, practical assessment and a face to face competency interview.

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at British Gas (Leeds, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online after seeing the job vacancy. This consisted of a online personality test and a mechanical test. Not long after the test i received a phone called inviting me for a telephone interview 4 days later. The telephone interview takes around 30-40 mins in all. I got told i had passed the interview straight after it on the telephone. I was then told I would receive an email and be invited down to leeds for an assessment day. This involved a formal interview, wiring test and a group discussion.

Interview Questions

• Worked as part of a team?
      Used your hands for a mechanical task?   Answer Question

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at British Gas (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Had phone interview few days later. Really nice woman on phone put me straight at ease. Invited for training day about 2 months after. Really basic theory test the same as online mechanical reasoning. 1-1 interview to see what your like in different situations. Always answer in star format biggest thing can advise someone going for a job at British Gas is to swat up on that.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to work to a deadline under pressure   Answer Question

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at British Gas (Leeds, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview which was brief, general question why do you want to work here what experience do you have? If successful then you are invited to the assesment center were you will sit a face to face interview with another engineer and someone who writes down what you say. The questions are based on your tests online that you are sent before you go so for the behavioural tests keep a sharp mind and be honest how you answer. Then you are called in to do a mechanical reasoning exams and colour deficiency test. If you are not successful on the colour deficiency there are alternatives ways of checking. Then you are informed after 7 days.

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bexleyheath, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Bexleyheath, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Apply online with the usual waffle they want to hear. Complete the online test which is reasonably easy. Next step is a telephone interview (many different questions, I was successful even though I was on the phone to them whilst driving though Central London at the time) Next is a face to face interview, an in-house test, and a group discussion.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an occasion where you worked in a team? Why do you want to work for British Gas?   Answer Question