British Gas Trainee Smart Meter Expert Interview Questions | Glassdoor

British Gas Trainee Smart Meter Expert Interview Questions

Interviews at British Gas

3.2

Trainee Smart Metering Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Leeds, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied on line and about 2weeks later was offered a telephone interview.
The telephone interview wasn't too bad, it lasted about 20 minutes, during which they asked questions relating to the job and the behaviours they look for in people who work them. The chap said that I have answered well and would be asked to attend a half day assessment session.
A couple of weeks later I attended the assessment which consisted of the following:

Group Discussion (45 mins)
You participate in a group exercise based around a customer’s energy enquiry. You work as a team to come up with a plan on how to best help the customer based on information given on the day and research you carried out prior to the assessment.

Interview (30 mins)
There is a face to face competency based interview with a Smart Energy Manager.
You have to provide examples which cover their 3 core principles:
Do What’s Right
Love Simplicity
Be Extraordinary Together

Installation Task (30 mins)
This is a simple practical task to demonstrate you are comfortable working with your hands and using relevant tools.

Other Interview Reviews for British Gas

Trainee Smart Metering Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thatcham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at British Gas (Thatcham, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Well thought out interview process, Basic online screening process followed by a telephone interview, Interviewer immediately but me at ease. you are informed straight after if they would like you to proceed to the next stage. I was invited to attend an assessment session at on of their training academy that broke down into three sections.

1. group exercise - quick planning exercise, looking to see how you communicate and contribute to the solution.
    2. face to face interview- recap on the online questions, Use the STAR method to structure your answers.
    3. Wiring exercise- Basic showing of use of tools.

The assessment took around 3 1/2 hours, although I did have to travel far to attend.

My interview took place on a Tuesday and by the Thursday afternoon I had received a phone call informing me that I had been successful in the interview process and they would be in contact soon with an offer.

However, after waiting for around 3 weeks I emailed to find out any more details only to discover that I'd only passed the interview stage and will be offered a position if on comes up in the next six months.
    they did state that they were currently awaiting the next months start dates and they were hopeful that would include my area. ( that was around a week ago, still no update ).

Not impressed with the lack of clarity from the original outcome, It would have out my mind at ease a lot sooner had they told me my exact situation rather than leaving me hanging. I do remain optimistic that a job offer will materialize , for another two weeks at least.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you have used your knowledge of tools to complete a job un aided.   1 Answer

Trainee Smart Metering Expert Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas in October 2014.

Interview

Very professionally carried out by British Gas. I got the feeling I was involved in something I could win at - with what I had to offer.
    Online application with following sections: Personal Details/Online Assessment/CV Upload/ Equal Opportunities/Further Info.
    Online assessment was easy-ish, but there's quite a bit to read then answer questions on (multiple choice) - so you can't dawdle; you have to crack-on!
    Then, a few days later, a telephone interview (almost 30 mins). Again, not too difficult, but try and prepare some examples of you having solved some practical/mechanicals problem; having worked better as part of a team than by yourself and having given excellent customer service (above and beyond the call of duty).
    If you get to a face to face assessment/interview, as I did, that's when the going gets tough, because, even if you have everything (and more) needed for the job, they still have to like you. So, having gotten just about everything right, you then still face something of a lottery!
    I allowed my concentration on the tasks to take precedence over my body language and facial expressions and that was a mistake! So, relax, smile, take it seriously, but not too seriously and you might just get the balance right.

Interview Questions

• Sorry, I have to paraphrase, as I can't recall exact wording:
      "When have you found following the rules difficult and how did you reconcile this?"   Answer Question

Trainee Smart Meter Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thatcham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Thatcham, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Firstly you will do an online assessment of your personality and basic engineering tasks.
    Then you will be asked if you would like a telephone interview, which will last 30 minutes.
    If successful you will then be invited to the assessment centre and have another interview, a group discussion, and a basic practical task.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked well as part of a team.
      Tell us about a time you did some difficult practical work with your hands.
      Tell us about a time you provided outstanding customer service.
      Tell us about a time when you solved a problem at work under pressure.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.The contract is set out beforehand.

Trainee Smart Meter Expert Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at British Gas in January 2016.

Interview

Initially you apply online, fill out all the usual stuff, and they have online personality tests etc, all fairly simple and straight forward. Just be honest because the answers are used if you get to the face to face interview at the training centre.
    If you get past this stage they will contact you for a telephone interview. (It took 4 months from applying to having a telephone interview for me).
    Then if you pass the telephone interview you will be invited to one of their training centres for a half day assessment.
    The assessment day is quite good, I enjoyed it.
    Wear a suit, and don't be late or forget your documents are my best tips, and just be yourself.
    I had mine at Leeds and everyone was really friendly and put everyone at ease. They split the group in 2, one half stayed and did a group discussion, the other half was split in two again and one half did the practical test and the others had the face to face interview. Then everyone swaps.

Interview Questions

• Telephone interview.
      Name a time you worked as a team
      Name a time when you did something practical with your hands
      Name the tools used   Answer Question
    • Face to face is based on the answers you gave in the personality questions online.
      Name a time when you've worked under pressure
      Name a time when you've had to have a good attention to detail   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Take it or leave it

Trainee Smart Meter Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at British Gas (Livingston, Scotland (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, lots of questions, mechanical reasoning test, personality based questions, took quite a while to complete and then received an email inviting me to a telephone interview the next day, it all happened really quick!

Telephone interview last around 30 mins and is mostly based on experiences you have had.

Interview Questions

• Telephone interview questions i got were, Why do you want to work for British Gas?, Can you tell me about a time you worked as a team?, Can you tell me about a time you have used tools? Can you tell me about a time you have went above and beyond to assist?

All to be answered using the STAR principle (situation, task, action, result).

You will be told at the end of the telephone interview whether you have passed and if you do you will get an invite to an assessment centre, where you will undergo a group discussion scenario, face to face interview and a practical test.

Not done that part yet, so can't really tell much about it just now!

A straightforward but enjoyable process thus far and the while recruitment process is pretty in-depth and you can tell they have put a lot into it.   Answer Question