British Gas Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

British Gas Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 13, 2017

Smart Meter Expert Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at British Gas.

Interview

Filled in a short online application followed by a few competence tests. Passed all and invited to a telephone interview via email. After re reading the email I found the recruiter had my name wrong!! I required about this to check the email was meant for me and it turns out it was so all good. I had the telephone interview and was told I had been successful and would be invited to an assessment day. An hour later I get a phone call from the person who had just interviewed me trying to conduct the same interview again, I explained to them that I had already been successful and was advised that she had made a mistake and was supposed to call someone else and should wait for an email with the dates of assessment. This email never came and despite a number of attempts to resolve this via email I have been completely ignore and am totally soured by this whole experience and can't help but feel the company is completely shambolic as my identity has been confused on 3 separate occasions. My advise would be to avoid.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you delivered exceptional customer service   Answer Question

Service Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at British Gas.

Interview

Technical test 30 mins
    1 hour and 30 mins questions and get to know you and how you work within the industry. Also you get to ask questions. Very nice vibe and made you feel comfy especially the managers

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at British Gas.

Interview

First is an online assessment, then you're invited to do a telephone interview. They ask you a lot of questions about the company and about your previous employment. These are competency based questions. They want you to use the STAR method. If you complete this stage you'll be invited to do a role play over the phone. This is quite simple if you follow the script but they want you to really show your personality. I was invited to attend an assessment day but sadly I couldn't make it and my application was withdrawn.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you showed good customer service   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond the call of duty   Answer Question

Business Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at British Gas (Leicester, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Online compentency test, which i passed, then i was called for a telephone interview. I again, passed this and was invited for an assessment centre. Day before they changed it from a 2hr long interview to a 1hr interview. When i arrived, it was a lone interview not in a group as they have previously said.

I had 10 mins to create a presentation answering questions about my qualities, why i would be suitable etc. I had to present and answer questions. From there, i had to do a role play. Had a couple of minutes to read the sheet indicating prices etc. and was taken upstairs into the call centre. Had to sell the product to a business customer. Whole process was an hour long.

Completed this on Thursday, now Tuesday and heard nothing back. Hoping no news is good news.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at British Gas in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, completed questionnaires lasting about 30 mins. Had a phone interview the next day which I passed, was told I would have a role play phone interview a few days later, they send you a few sheets to work off, highlighting the structure of the phone call. You really need to prepare with these sheets or you will fail the role play.

I had two scenarios in the role play, basically had to use my own initiative to work out if each customer was a priority and needed an urgent appointment. Passed and was invited to a face-to-face interview a few days later.

You really need to do your research on the company for each round of the interview process, especially their values as my final interview was structured around BG's three values. Learn about their products, latest offers etc. They will ask you questions about your own experiences within customer service, use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to talk about your experiences.

Was offered the role the day after my face-to-face and am very much looking forward to starting at British Gas next week!

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at British Gas (Leicester, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Very friendly and easy going. They don't make it very formal, just want to have a chat with you and ask a few questions. As long as you have the qualities they're looking for they'll hire you. Just be confident and straightforward

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you've gone out of your way to help other?   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at British Gas (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online and received a call from HR. After a few simple questions I was asked to attend a phone interview with the hiring manager. The interview took place without issue and then they went quiet. I emailed twice, rang the HR guy (who promised to get back to me) and then emailed again. I never got any response, acknowledgement or even a rejection. Just silence. I have no idea if this behaviour is typical of British Gas.

Interview Questions

• Few technical questions but lots on leadership. Tell me about a time when you managed someone out of the business? What is your leadership style? How do you motivate a team?   1 Answer

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Leicester, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Absolutely horrendous. I worked at this exact place ten years ago, and I feel I've been treated like an idiot. I passed the application which is harder than banks applications, also I passed both telephone interviews, and at the facing interview felt not happy, as both interviewers were twenty plus younger than me and I felt the main interviewer did not like me from the onset. I asked if I could use personal examples he said yes, which now I see I should have used experience when I worked there only. Not clear at all, and he was quite hesitant. I did not get the job , and feel partly discriminated against ,the interview system too rigid and not at all personal no q about your personal life , asked me to sign form for saying I'm not having holiday for next 3 months and really had no intention to give Mr the job. Also British gas expect you to apply to expierion which sends to British gas, and I had to do this at an internet cafe, and faxed over personal information , which I paid for.
    All before the interview. British gas will get the wrong people with their methods , and the woman I spoke to who was interviewed also when I was, was from out of town turned up late and was given the job, though has never done the type of work before. I was told I can apply again in 6 months. No thanks, if I'm not good enough after doing the exat job before for 2 and a half years till 11pm _doing overtime, going on bank holidays, then I never will be. I'm disgusted.

Interview Questions

• What was the thing that was the hardest change   1 Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Uddingston, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Uddingston, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online for the customer service advisor position. A couple of days later, invited to a telephone interview. Telephone interview was a lot of questions about why do you want to work for us etc. Passed the telephone then was invited to a role play session on the phone the next day. This gives the client the idea how you can handle and deal with customers. It went well with feedback saying I was a very bubbly person to talk to on the phone e and after this, I was invited to the face to face interview the next day. We're very nice and welcoming. Asked me 2 questions each of their values as a company: 1. Do what's right, 2.love simplicity and 3. be extraordinary. Quite surprised they didn't ask me any questions on the company but I revised these just in case, so I was prepared for any questions they asked. Hear back tomorrow, fingers crossed!

I hope this helps as reading other reviews on this site, really helped me!! 🙌🏼🙌🏼

Interview Questions

• Have you ever went out your way for a person/employee eg covered a shift for another person?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at British Gas in September 2016.

Interview

I completed the online application and recieved a response the same day saying I was successful to the next stage. They were very prompted and wanted a telephone interview the next day. First I had the telephone interview asking what I know I know about the company? What can I bring to the role? When was a time I helped a customer in need? How would I respond to an angry customer? Make sure you show your passion about helping others. They are very interested in people who have done volunteering.
    I passed to the next part which was a telephone interview this I found quite nerve racking as you have no idea how the customers are going to acted and they test you on very suttle things. I was successful even when I made a few mistakes just make sure your sympathetic and hit the main points.
    I made it to the final interview which is face to face they were very friendly and made you feel comfortable even though I felt they were doing this to catch you off guard. The questions were based on scenerios like how you deal with change? A time you worked as a team? Helped other people? Recieved critism?
    They told me they would ring in 48 hours which they did and was successful! My only down side was i made it clear I couldnt do every weekend which they said in the interview I wouldnt. When I was told I have the job they said I would be working every weekend. This has made me reconsider the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Make sure you ask about shifts!